Fiberglass Propane Cylinder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Fiberglass Propane Cylinder

Has anyone purchased one of these? Expensive (20 lb cylinder about $154 with shipping), but greater than 50% weight reduction. 15 year shelf life and only have to be visually inspected, not pressure tested, to keep it in compliance. Visually seeing the level of propane is also a nice feature as well. Trying to reduce tongue weight and weight overall.

There was a different company that had a recall years ago, this company wasn't it and has been getting great reviews. I guess I am wondering if anyone here has experience, I do like fiberglass.....

Composite Cylinders | Viking Cylinders Composite Propane Gas Tanks | Viking Cylinders
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I used a fiberglass propane tank on the tongue of our Lil Snoozy when I changed it from total electric to include propane stove & furnace. I really liked how light it is, and if you use a flashlight, you can see how much propane is still left in the tank. I wish that they would have made a horizontal tank when I purchased ours, so it could be mounted closer to the trailer shell. The tank has 50 COUNTRY certification, not just 50 STATE certification.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01448.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #3

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thank you Dave.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Only problem is to find someone who will fill them who is not located a great distance away!
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Fiberglass tank

I own a 11 lb tank. It is only certified for 5 years in Canada, just completed a trip through Arizona and the filling station had never seen one . Almost did'nt fill it having concerns of one other manufacturer having had them all recalled. Was not the case will mine. Also questioning weather it be recertified after only 5 years of use. Bought it at propane depot in Burnaby BC. We will see in another 3 years. Having said that I have to replace my 25 lb ones on the front of my Escape maybe I will look into two more to reduce the tounge weight. I sure love the reduced weight of the one I have and the ease of handing it.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It may not be quite as cool, but weight wise, an aluminum forklift propane tank is about the same weight as a fibreglass one. Available in 33.5 and 43.5 lb sizes. They have a float operated fuel gauge as well. For Dave Brown, they do lay down:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ank-49385.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
When you buy a PL tank and lay it doew make sure that it is correct to either feed vapor or liquid. There are two taps on the forklift tanks (I think I remember) make sure you use the right one.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane