Fiberglass Resin Recommendations? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #41

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
So, Dave, what is the verdict on being able to fiberglass over what was used on my pop-up lid? Unfortunately, I can't be sure of what the bondo-like material was but there is definitely some primer.
As I said, I more concerned about the material popping out of the screw holes.
Also, I enjoyed reading your thread "You can repair fiberglass" but was a little disappointed that it didn't continue with what to do after you have finished the repairs-prime & paint?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #42

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Fiberglass Resin Recommendations?

I work with a far bit of fiberglass

I would suggest repairing this from both sides. Clean the bondo off as best you can. Bondo is used in the final paint prep stages. But you don't want it sandwiched as it won't help with your epoxy adhesion.

I would lay at least 1 sheet of fiberglass on each side. And just use a plastic putty spatula (best kind are the ones sold at pottery stores) to press the epoxy through the sheet into the holes.

Once cured use a fiberglass type bondo first to smooth out dips and hollows. Then finish for paint with regular bondo and then primer.

Spidering in paint is the result of wrong paint used. I recommend Endura. It isn't cheep but stays like a soft rubber after curing and will flex with the fiberglass. I have even seen it cure at the bottom of a full waste oil drum 😮

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Please play nice, folks. Everyone has the right to an opinion. Please state your opinion, and move on, allowing the OP to make their own decision. Well mannered discussion is fine.

I have not done hordes of fiberglass resin work, but I have built a wood strip canoe using epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. It turned out great.

I am also in the midst of repairing four 2 1/2" holes in the Trillium I am working on, where the various service hatches were (city water, gravity water fill, 120V cable, grey water outlet). I followed techniques often used in repairing boats, where I tapered the fiberglass from near 0" at the hole, out about 1 1/2" to flush. After sanding and cleaning around the inside of the hole, I then used polyester resin, and laid a layer of glass cloth on the inside, which provided a backer for a full repair from the outside. I then cut out four pieces of fiberglass mat (not cloth) of varying sizes, each saturated with polyester resin, to fill the hole in the shell.

This last part was done yesterday, and so is where I am at now. Today I will sand the patch flush to the shell. I will then prime the area, and use an epoxy filler to level the patches, and then fair the hull. After this, I will prime again before paint.

I am also using the epoxy filler to fill hundreds of old screw holes, as it provides good strength as well as good adhesion.

I will be posting photos on the rebuild thread once I get it done. Pretty darn confident it will all work out great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #44

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
One thing we use in the rc hobby is micro balloons which are used as a filler in epoxy to thicken and lighten the resin. It should be good for filling the small holes and I have even used it to seal a crack in the Casita shower pan. I have used it to fill cracks in planes with superglue , just fill the space with the micro balloons and wick in thin superglue(it is hard to sand with the super glue)Fiberglass Supply- Fillers and Modifiers
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #45

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I don't recommend that average DIYer use micro balloons, this material is an extremely fine granule almost like corn starch. It's actually glass spheres, and just like with starch, it's extremely prone to becoming airborne when agitated. Unlike starch, micro balloons are extremely hazardous to your health. If you inhale the dust, it coats your lungs, and doesn't dissolve. And those cheep throw away dust mask won't protect you. You need a special cartridge that's listed on the MSDS sheet. The average garage is not the place to open a container of micro balloons.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #46

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Micro Balloons

I just use regular kitchen flour instead of anything fancy to thicken epoxy. It works great. You can buy fiberglass fibers which would be stronger, but not worth the effort if you ask me. The micro balloons are going to be lighter, but who cares about saving a few ounces on a thousand pound trailer. Save the money and your health and use flour.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I would stick to whatever system the PO used. If they used polyester resin continue with that, if they used epoxy than continue with epoxy. Epoxy over polyester is fine since epoxy will stick to anything. Polyester over epoxy not so good since it will NOT stick as well. That being said I have good experience with polyster over epoxy once I removed the amine blush (I was working in a cold garage).
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #47

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It was pointed out that I clouded the issue by posting a site to look at that delt with Gel Coat. The site also delt with resins however you would have to search within that site for it.

Here is a site that deals with patching and the various types of structure product to use and identify. It has a wealth of information about fiberglassing and how to do it.

Fiberglass and Composite Repair | Fibre Glast
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco