Finally Ready for Camping! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Name: Joanne
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Finally Ready for Camping!

Finally, after a lot of hours of work, our '76 Trillium is ready for camping! After years of tent camping and now having a wee one, we were super excited to get out in it. What a great first trip. This website has been a great help with all of the different projects that were done on our trailer. I had no idea that there was such a huge followingfor these little trailers! Our's was in pretty sad shape when we first found it. I ended up stripping everything off of the exterior and resealing all the windows and replacing and resealing all the exterior outlets. On the inside all the wiring was redone, and lighting replaced with LED. I replaced the water tank and all the water lines as well. New cushions and drapes as well. The exterior and interior was actually and pretty good shape, just need alot of cleaning. I was amazed at how the exterior came out with the Maguires fiberglass restotation kit and alot off elbow grease!! Can't wait for our next outing!!
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

British Columbia
Here's a couple pictures of the progress.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6091.jpg   IMG_6082.jpg  

097.jpg   089 (2).jpg  

030 (2).jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Wow, what a transformation! When's the inaugural trip?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
It looks beautiful! Yoyr hard work paid off! Id like to see more of the updated interior photos!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wow joanne!!! what a terrific transformation!

you are right about the following for these small trailers. it seems to be growing constantly...especially as gas prices rise.

glad your inaugural trip was a blast....when you have a moment, inquiring minds (and nosy neighbours) wish to see the interior shots of your project.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Wow, what an night and day transformation on the exterior. Before it was only a diamond in the rough but now it shines like a diamond

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Beautiful!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #8

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Great work! Now, enjoy
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
My goodness that was a rough one to start with but you did an amazing job, it's great to see the before and after like that!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #10

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
What a great looking egg! Enjoy
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It looks GREAT! Hope you get out and enjoy it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #12

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Thumbs up Great Job

It is great to see before and after pictures We are new to this site and have a 1972 Compact Jr. We are looking forward to starting this process. Enjoy your trailer! Where do you go? We are in Central California.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #13

British Columbia
Thanks everyone! We are super happy with how it came out. Very Rewarding project! Can't wait to get out in it again. Luckily we live where it's super easy to get away. Just wondering, we do alot of bike riding, and now have a bit of an issue with our hitch mount bike rack. I am thinking of mounting a reciever for the rack at the back of the trailer, the rack and bikes will way close to 100lbs, which is comparible to the battery and propane tank at the front. Has anyone tried this? Is there any issues with towing?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
Thanks everyone! We are super happy with how it came out. Very Rewarding project! Can't wait to get out in it again. Luckily we live where it's super easy to get away. Just wondering, we do alot of bike riding, and now have a bit of an issue with our hitch mount bike rack. I am thinking of mounting a reciever for the rack at the back of the trailer, the rack and bikes will way close to 100lbs, which is comparible to the battery and propane tank at the front. Has anyone tried this? Is there any issues with towing?

When you hang a weight out the back of a trailer you upset the balance. Adding weight to the tongue might help a bit, but you reduce the speed at which uncontrollable sway will happen. Since many things come into play it's really hard to predict whether you'll be ok or not. The safest thing to do is find another way to carry the bicycles.

I wish I had saved a little video clip on sway I saw a few years ago. It was models on a tread mill type of thing. The trailer had weights that could be positioned in different place, the worst condition was when the weights were shifted to both ends. Half of the weight on the at the tongue end and half as far to the rear as possible. Uncontrollable sway happened at a surprisingly slow speed.

Sway vs weight distribution demo video
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have a nice double hitch from Cabela's that allows us to put our two bikes on the back of our van hitch and still hook up the trailer. However, we haven't bothered with this for a couple years now and just put the 2 bikes inside the trailer when traveling. We have fold-up travel bikes and they can ride in the trailer either folded or set up. Is putting them inside your trailer an option for you? When we arrive at our destination, I just roll them out and chain them to a secure spot nearby.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great video - should be on a sticky for quick access.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #17

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
When you hang a weight out the back of a trailer you upset the balance. Adding weight to the tongue might help a bit, but you reduce the speed at which uncontrollable sway will happen. Since many things come into play it's really hard to predict whether you'll be ok or not. The safest thing to do is find another way to carry the bicycles.

I wish I had saved a little video clip on sway I saw a few years ago. It was models on a tread mill type of thing. The trailer had weights that could be positioned in different place, the worst condition was when the weights were shifted to both ends. Half of the weight on the at the tongue end and half as far to the rear as possible. Uncontrollable sway happened at a surprisingly slow speed.

Sway vs weight distribution demo video
Great Video, Thanks for sharing, it might help to keep me out of the ditch or
worse!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #18

British Columbia
Wow! Thanks for posting that video link. I will definately continue to keep the bikes inside the trailer now. Sometimes we need a rack to get the bikes to the trails once we are at the camp destination. Last time out the trailer towed well, so I'll have to sort out an alternative.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Alberta
Great video. Thanks for posting
smithmetalcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #20

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
the outside looks lovely! where did you do your maiden voyage? we have yet to embark on ours and are open to any good spots that our beautiful BC has to offer
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium