Finally started on the Boler American - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Remember this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1069964.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	5202

Click image for larger version

Name:	1069966.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5201

Well, I've finally gotten started at it. I took the wheels off yesterday. They are both passenger car tyres and one of them the belts have separated. So off to the tyre shop to remove them so I can clean and paint the rims. After which of course I will need new tyres. I'll let you know how they turn out. The good news is that the bearings seem fine. However the arms are angled up by roughly 20 degrees from horizontal. It's a leading arm suspension. How off is that? Or is that OK?

Now, this is my first trailer of ANY type, EVER. So I notice that the wheels bolt on with studs that bolt into the hub. Is this particular to Bolers, or general for trailers?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Suspensions with leading arms normally have the arms at an "up" angle (hub higher than arm pivot), perhaps because that rides better than leading arms pointing down, although we have had detailed discussions of the various configurations. Early Bolers had "up" arms to reach the desired low ride height while still fitting the axle assembly under the frame.

Most vehicles - cars, trucks, and trailers - have studs fixed in the hub, and wheels held on by nuts. All types of vehicles are occasionally found with threaded (tapped) holes in the hub instead, and bolts holding the wheel on. Dexter (the most common source of trailer axle components) offers both options. This came up in the topic Dexter & AL-KO hub interchangability. The use of tapped hubs and bolts is not unique to Bolers, and I don't think it's common for them either. Mine has studs.

Well, that's some words... maybe not wisdom!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I notice that the wheels bolt on with studs that bolt into the hub. Is this particular to Bolers, or general for trailers?
My Fiber Stream uses Bolts into tapped hubs, similar to your Boler.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My Fiber Stream uses Bolts into tapped hubs, similar to your Boler.
So did my 88 Scamp (Al-Ko axle), until it was changed to a Dexter axle
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You might consider checking out your local wrecking yard for a set of 3 - cool looking mags.

Often they are quite cheap in quantities of 3 since the fourth one was damaged in a collision and most wrecking yard customers would like a set of 4.

If you make cardboard or thin plywood templates of your bolt holes, offset rim width and diameter you should be set.

They may also come with tires that are actually a cut-or-three above the quality of tires normally sold for trailer use.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Thanks everyone so far your your responses.

Brian, Donna, Frederick; - Good info. Thanks. Makes me feel easier.

Loren - that's a great idea! I usually frequent the 'import' section of the PnP's but I have looked at conversion vans to see if I could use windows for the sides of the Boler. I'm going to see how these rims clean up with sanding, paint and new trim rings. That will match what I have on the TV better. Otherwise I may have to start looking for rims, along with a handy template as you suggested.

I have another question now about the Boler tail-lights. What size were the originals? 7"? And has anyone found a good / resonable supplier of them, LED or not? Hmmmn ... those school-bus lights seem pretty big ...

Thanks.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler