Finally Starting The Rebuild !! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #41

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
This is definitely the original axle.
Being over 35 years old, should I replace? Or, is there any possibility that it's still usable and safe?

If I do need to replace it, I want to keep the leading arm setup that is there now.
I don't want to add any more height.
Brian, for the little it costs in the grand scheme of things I would replace it. Especially at this stage of the game. Mine looked OK like yours, seemed to tow OK.

But ...

I've worn out a brand new tire in 2 summers with a max of 6000 miles. The outer edge on my curbside was worn off while the new tire nibs are still everywhere else. What did the original tires look like? Here is a picture of my tires. The one on the left was the original (spare), the middle one was the car tire replacement and on the right, the closest trailer size I could get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1795.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	13002

Even if the alignment is OK, your rubber suspension is getting pretty poor. (think of a 36 year old elastic band). I had to use a hydraulic jack and pry bar to lower the torsion axle enough so the new tire would slip under the body and the rim would go over the hub. There was just not enough flexablility in the axle to even change the tire. I'm thinking the lack of flexibility may have something to do with your frame crack. Others have posted how they have gone from leading arm to trailing arm. For many reasons I am planning on doing the same. Hope we get a chance to talk before you make a final decision on the axle.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #42

Trailer: 72 Boler American
I'm going to take a closer look at my axle. I just don't want to open another can of worms right now.
I suppose I can always replace the axle later if I sense a problem.
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #43

Been busy sanding and filling and sanding the exterior, so no pics lately.
Today I fiberglassed in the new front gaucho. I suppose I'll cut some access holes in the top for
storage. As soon as I get a warm enough day, I'm going to roll a coat of resin
on the underside of the floors and get this thing back on the frame where it belongs!
Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_13933__Small_.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #44

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I suppose I'll cut some access holes in the top for storage.
Looking good Brian.

The original came with 2 holes in the top and a divider in the middle. I can't tell you the number of times we wished there was a drop down or sliding door on the face of the gaucho bench (on the side closest to the door).
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #45

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching the work you're doing to this thing! Keep us posted as it rolls along. I'm just beginning a reno myself (very minor compared to this), but I'm always excited to see what others are doing. Nice work so far.

Casandra F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #46

Hello all,

I haven't posted any new pics lately. Summer is here and family obligations
have kept me pretty busy. But here are the rear benches that I've been working on.
After the interior is "Rhino Lined", which is still my most likely course of action, I
will cut holes and install some hatches for access.

Next, I tackle the door. It needs a considerable amount of work and I'll post some pics as I go.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_14696__Medium_.jpg  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #47

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Hey Brian I have been where you are going. I took the complete shell off of the trailer and set it on the ground and my wife drove the frame out from under it as me and my son held it in the air!. Do yourself an favor and have the frame sandblasted and frame painted. It cost me $200 to have the frame blasted and my wife and son painted it for about $20 for a gallon of frame paint at your local auto parts store.. What I did is I glassed the floor in 1/2 inch plywood and got 12" strips of fiberglass cloth and put 6" on the wood and 6" up the side of the inside trailer wall. make a good foundation and all will be ok I bought my trailer for $300 on the 4th of oct 2007 and we used it on its maiden voyage for 5 day and 4 night on Memorial dat weekend had a blast!
Attached Thumbnails
P3050015__Small_.JPG   P3050016__Small_.JPG  

P3050017__Small_.JPG   P3050019__Small_.JPG  

P2130001__Small_.JPG   P2130002__Small_.JPG  

P2130003__Small_.JPG  
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #48

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Quote:
But here are the rear benches that I've been working on.
After the interior is "Rhino Lined", which is still my most likely course of action, I
will cut holes and install some hatches for access.
This is what I was thinking about doing as well? LineX - the interior - - Would be a nice texture in the inside, curious if you've done this yet, or have thoughts about how to re-attached the cabinets? New rivets - or stainless screws through the entire camper?

are you going to Rhino the exterior as well??

I have a 1970 Boler American -

Name:	IMG00242.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	13996

Name:	IMG00243.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	13997
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #49

I haven't had the interior sprayed yet. I still have a bit more prep work to do before it's ready.
As for the cabinet attachment, I'm not sure yet. I might fiberglass some strategically placed blocks on the inside.
I'm getting a bit tired of fiberglass work, so the other option is stainless srews from the outside.
Just not too sure yet.

As for the exterior eventually it will be painted. Rhino in and out would start to add a signifigant amount of weight.

Things have slowed down a bit due to lack of finances, but I will post more pics as the project progresses.

Brian
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #50

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi Brian,
We have been following your progress with interest! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Nice to know of other Bolerites on LI. We just lost our Scamp in a fire, and were really lucky to find a replacement right away (in East Hampton). A 1977 Boler, which needs some work.
When you get to the outside, let us know, we can have a painting party.
Marjie and Rick in Sea Cliff
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #51

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Quote:
How did you get the ceilings so clean?? The ensolite on mine doesn't want to come off! It's grabbing on for dear life!!
Does anyone have any advice on getting the ensolite off? I have a majority of it off, but it's not that easy..... I'm trying to get it ready to get it linex'd - -

curious if anyone has any certain "tricks"
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #52

Well, it's been a while since I've had any progress, but I'm back. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes in
May, and the camper project has been on hold for a while. Anyway, I just got my Boler back from the Rhino Liner guy,
and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. There are a few "globs" here and there, but I'm going to try to deal with them.
Fortunately, there was about 3/4 of a quart of material left over after he was finished spraying and I'll see what i can do
to fix some of the imperfections. The next stop...(once I've saved up a few $$) is the body shop for a new coat of paint.
Or, who knows....maybe I'll try to paint it myself. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5743.1.jpg   IMG_5744.1.jpg  

IMG_5745.1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #53

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm also replace the back piece of plywood flooring. I was wondering what you used for a template for the new piece (did you use the one you cut out?) and how you cut the plywood out (how close to outside wall). Thanks for any information.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #54

The old floor came out like mashed potatoes, so I had to use a large piece of cardboard cut loosely to fit as a template.
I used a compass to "scribe" a line onto the cardboard about two inches in. Then, without changing the compass, that line was transcribed onto the 3/4 ply. Fit like a glove. I cut the plywood square, so there was a gap due to the curvature of the walls. That gap was filled with polyester resin mixed with micro beads. It kinda made a paste like consistency. Once it set up, it got another "coat" that was rounded nicely with my trusty old finger. That made a nice smooth transition between floor and wall......(Fiberglass mat doesn't like to make 90 degree bends)First strip of glass was about 2" wide, 2nd piece was about 4", and so on until I had about 4 layers or so.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #55

Trailer: Scamp

I have thought about doing the Rhino liner in my Scamp. How much did it cost? How much weight did it add? What about the smell? (I know you may not have answer for last question since your's is still open to air)

Donna
Donna T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #56

Donna,
The job cost me $1,800......a bit pricey to be sure, but I like the results. As far as the weight, I'm not too sure. But,
if I had to guess, maybe it added 60 or 70 pounds.
The smell was a bit overwhelming at first, but is is diminishing day by day. I had a test piece sprayed a few months back, and it is now completely odorless. The camper won't be completed until at the very least next spring so, I have time for the odor to dissapate.
According to a Rhino rep that I called, when it is completely cured it is non toxic.......(who knows for sure?)

The one thing I know for sure is that is doesn't have much in the way of insulating qualities......I hope sweating won't be a problem.
I don't do too much winter camping, so I hope this doesn't become an issue. Windows will be open most of the time.

Time will tell if this was a wise idea but, as I said, I like the way it looks....neat, seamless, and wipeable.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #57

Trailer: Scamp
Thank You for the info Brian,
Donna
Donna T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #58

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
You know, it just occurred to me that Rhino lining may just be the hot ticket for a floor covering. In the event that someone is doing a complete resto, then they could Rhino the floor before finishing the interior and it would be sealed. Since floors tend to rot because of water pooling on top, it could be sealed on that side, and the underside could be left open to allow the wood to breathe naturally.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #59

Just got my baby back from the painter! Now I can start putting her back together!!
Attached Thumbnails
_cid_429F3B58_EEC8_4071_A31F_3073A071CF0A_home.jpg   _cid_01841511_A0F0_4BA8_8F0F_3970AC06F30E_home.jpg  

Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #60

Trailer: K Line (Trails West Camper clone)
Quote:
Just got my baby back from the painter! Now I can start putting her back together!!

Nice matching with your towing vehicle. BTW what is the towing capacity of the Scion?

Can't wait to see more pics.
Charles Santos is offline   Reply With Quote