Finally Starting The Rebuild !! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #61

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sleek!

The taillight cups look great. I read back in this thread, so I understand that you glassed them in without the usual riveted rims - can you tell how you went about that?

Did you glass them in from inside and then grind the rims off? Take them off and then..

Also, just curious: Is the belly band going back on? Or are you going "sleek" in that area too?

Thanks,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #62

Trailer: 72 Boler American
I cut the flanges off the light cups and clamped them in place. I learned fiberglassing as I went and this was one of the most pain in the butt things I did.....but I wanted the look....and I'm pleased. The belly band is gonna go back on. I like the fact that it sticks out at the widest point of the body and acts like a buffer so the body won't get scratched......
Attached Thumbnails
Cannon_13649.jpg   Cannon_13651.jpg  

Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #63

Thanks, Scott!

I like the belly band on the Boler/clones too. I like the "ring of Saturn" thing it has going (although it does tend to collect dirt and whatnot on the top flange). They look great polished up, I think

Your taillights look great! I had thought if I ever painted that I would drill out the rivets, fill the holes, and glass the lights in, but I hadn't thought about eliminating the flange for a smoother look, so that intrigued me.

Raya
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #64

Quote:
Nice matching with your towing vehicle. BTW what is the towing capacity of the Scion?

Can't wait to see more pics.
The Scion(according to the manual) has NO towing capacity...... However, the engine is larger than the old style "boxy" model and in my opinion is plenty powerful. If I hit any serious hills or mountains, I'll be taking it easy for sure.......

Old 10-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #65

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It's not just a matter of engine size, but wheel base, too. A trailer is much more likely to do the steering for you when you have a short wheel base or not enough weight over the front wheels to counteract the lever-action of the trailer as it tilts forward and downward on the hitch when you brake or the trailer bounces.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #66

Trailer: Boler 1984
When we repainted our Boler, I had the belly band off as well. The flange measured any where's from 5/8" to 1 1/2" so I marked it with a spacer and a pencil and ground it back to a common width. When I reinstalled the band I had to cut it shorter by about 1 1/2" because of the smaller sizing. I then polished the metal band with aluminum mag and wheel cleaner. Sure made a difference...... at least in my minds eye.
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a very nice job. You're going to get a lot of looks when you go camping.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #67

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American

I love the XB & Boler look....

wish my 72 looked that good!!

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #68

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Sorry - forgot most recent photos of mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	April20th.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24287

Click image for larger version

Name:	May_001_1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24288

Still need some shots of completed outside - - and inside with my curtains and new front cushions....

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #69

Cut the holes in the benches for access. I ordered 4 interior window trim rings which had the correct profile
to rest panels in. The cover panels are 1/2 inch StarBoard. Oh, and, the LEDs went on today!
Attached Thumbnails
photo1.jpg   photo3.jpg  

photo5.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #70
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Brian, One sugestion:
Take a die grinder and cut the body back a little more from around the frame openings front and back. There is some different colored edge welting that you cane put on after to finish them off.
The reason being, over the years most or the frame cracks and breaks I have seen tend occur just behind the body opening. What happens is mud and water build up in there and doesn't get enough expose to air circulation. It is a spot most people don't think to hose out good after they have been on a muddy road.
You are doing a first class job on your rebuild.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #71

Just checking in with my limited progress as of late. The windows are all in and I installed the door latch this evening.
I had the front and rear plexi windows put in by a local auto glazier $50.00 well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Next, I need to get a table in and a front backrest/top bunk built. Then I call the upolsterer. I'm not looking foward to
that bill.
Attached Thumbnails
photoboler.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #72

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Oh, and, the LEDs went on today!
Brian, I was really busy with work when you posted your tail lights, nice job. I'd like to do the same.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #73

Just a few little things that have been crossed off the list......

I just had to throw up a pic of my baby on the day I started.........
Attached Thumbnails
photo11.jpg   photo12.jpg  

photo13.jpg   photo14.jpg  

Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #74

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Personalized trailer plates in NY?

Way to go!!!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #75

More pics!!! I'm so excited.......It's finally (after two years) out of my garage! The new wheels went on today and it won't be fitting through
the door anymore. I sure do hope there are no leaks. I'll find out next time it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
photoa.jpg   photob.jpg  

Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #76

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looks really sharp!

CindyL
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #77

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Did you do anything to prevent spider web cracks to appear again before repainting ?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #78

A good deal of the small cracks were ground out and filled in. There are a few I missed. Oh, well.... In fact, every penetration through the hull was covered over
(water inlets, heater vent, electrical, spare tire mounts, and EVERY DAMNED rivet hole) except the windows.......This way I can start and build as if it were new.
I need to get a few things done around the house and yard, then I'll begin the interior part of this project.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #79

Quote:
In fact, every penetration through the hull was covered over
(water inlets, heater vent, electrical, spare tire mounts, and EVERY DAMNED rivet hole) except the windows.......This way I can start and build as if it were new.
Rather than make new rivet holes for the cabinetry, you might want to consider tabbing it in (with fiberglass). That actually adds strength over rivets (not that the rivets aren't adequate) and .... no holes!

Rivets are much faster and easier, so they are well suited to a factory setting in making an affordable product. But on your own camper, where you are not trying to build 300 of them where shaving off a little time/skill is a big deal, a little extra time and effort could make it "better than new."

Raya
Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #80

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Raya, I know you are a big fan or tabbing, and I know what you mean as far as technique generally. I am wondering if you know of videos or postings that descibes the process in detail?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote