Finally the new axle is installed! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
hummmm, I'm thinking it should be a down angle. hummmm. Mine is a 45 degree down, because I wanted 15" tires.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Greg.

I'm interested in the actual up angle since Dexter makes a 10 and 22.5 degree up. Is it possible it might be another brand?
They ordered a Dexter #9 Torflex. I'll give him a call on Monday and go over it with him, but I'm pretty sure he said 15 up.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Dexter #9 comes in -22.5, -10, 0 , +10, +22.5, +45 per

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K%2...0-05_80_res.pdf

Al-Ko has some different angles, but not a 15*

http://al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm
Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #18

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
What is the name of the shop in Phoenix? You never know when you will need them.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #19

Arizona
K.A.R Trailers 623.465.7318 I-17 N. Just north of the Outlet Mall at Anthem on the Westbound frontage rd.
They are working with Auto Safety House who is the Dexter dealer in Phoenix.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #20

Arizona
Okie dokie... I went over and spent about 45 minutes with the service manager at the trailer shop that is doing my axle. I took all the posts and the dexter printouts and we discussed all the Scamp 13 axle installation issues.

The leading arm/trailing arm issue. It is a leading arm and Dexter only makes a trailing arm, so we called the Dexter dealer here in Phoenix and they called the Dexter installation guru's at the factory. It is fine to reverse the axle and according to them it won't cause any problems. They understand on the older Scamps it does need to be reversed to fit properly on replacement. However, that is not an officially supported installation and Dexter will use that as a way to void the warranty.

My axle measurements they ordered were:
Hub face 63 1/2
Brackets 49 1/2
Up 10 degrees

When I mentioned everyone here was saying it should be 10 degrees down, he said that is not what was on my trailer when he took the measurements that it was definitely 10 degrees up. There was a 13 Scamp on the lot that had come in that morning so we went and looked under it and he is right, it is an up angle.
Now if you want to really raise the trailer and maybe put some oversize tires on it, then you can go with the down angle, but at least on these two original axle 13 Scamps it definitely is up. I store mine in our garage and need it to be an original replacement so I agreed with him that he got it right. We asked the Dexter dealer what he thought about the angle and he said he agreed on the 10 degree up as well for the old Scamp.

I really have been pleased with the amount of time that Ray at KAR trailers has spent wet nursing me through this process. This is one area, that I don't want or have any background to tackle myself. I feel pretty confident after walking through everything with Ray today that I have some good trailer mechanics solving this and they gave me a very fair price. In four to six weeks the axle will be installed (having them put a 2" Bulldog coupler on too) and then off to find Yogi.

Hope this info helps everyone else that is looking at the axle replacement process.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #21

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
This is my 13' Scamp with a 22 1/2 degree down angle axle.
'
Click image for larger version

Name:	no_207.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	13058

Back lower bumper to ground 18 1/2"
Top of wheel Arch to ground 25"
Bottom of door to ground 17"
Hitch height 20"---------New Scamp is listed at 18"
Just a hair to high, will sag after a few years on the road. I would go with the 10 degree down angle if I did it over.
Before new axle.

Name:   scamp1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  7.9 KB
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think it looks good up high. Are there any disadvantages in having it up high other than increased wind drag and a higher center of gravity?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #23

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
danny m
No disadvantages as far as I can tell. These trailers pull like a dream. I have a 4 cyl S10 pickup with a stick. Also the height lines up with my truck ball hitch now.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #24

Name: Billy
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / Mazda B3000 Dual Sport 2002
California
Quote:
..clip..

The leading arm/trailing arm issue. It is a leading arm and Dexter only makes a trailing arm, so we called the Dexter dealer here in Phoenix and they called the Dexter installation guru's at the factory. It is fine to reverse the axle and according to them it won't cause any problems. They understand on the older Scamps it does need to be reversed to fit properly on replacement. However, that is not an officially supported installation and Dexter will use that as a way to void the warranty.

..clip..
Hi Greg,

Between the various FG trailer forums, I've read about 4 or 5 examples of axle swaps that KEPT the leading arm orientation. I haven't found anybody saying it caused problems due to alignment issues (contrary to the Dexter company line). One of the arguments for trailing arms is better compatibility with electric brakes. The small 13' trailers axles are often brakeless to begin with and repaired without adding brakes. That lends itself to keeping the leading arms.

A question for the group: Does anybody have brakes on a leading arms axle? If you do, can you describe their performance?

My '85 Perris Pacer 13' has brakeless leading arms on an old axle. If I could keep leading arms, my job would be three times easier... and if brakes work, too, I could think about relaxing a bit.

thanks!
Billy
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #25

Quote:
I think it looks good up high. Are there any disadvantages in having it up high other than increased wind drag and a higher center of gravity?
Contrary to what appears obvious, raising a trailer may result in LESS total drag. This is because the underside drag may be greater that the aerodynamic topside drag. Those were the results I had doing a spring-over and wheel upsize on a Jayco trailer.

The alignment issue is not from leading or trailing, but from using an axle designed for trailing in a leading mount (I believe castor and toe-in will be affected). That's probably why Dexter said they won't warrant a "reversed" axle. Personally, I would do what it took to mount it as trailing (pulling the wheelbarrow over an brick rather than pulling it over the brick).

Your trailer and the Scamp on the lot may be 10* down right now because the axles are shot -- Would you measure the diameter of a flat tire on the vehicle? I have never run across anything but 22.5* down on Scamps.

If you want to know what the original angle was, get the serial number off the axle tag or stencil to
Dexter and they should be able to look it up (shop can do likewise for the Scamp on the lot).
Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Your trailer and the Scamp on the lot may be 10* down right now because the axles are shot -- Would you measure the diameter of a flat tire on the vehicle? I have never run across anything but 22.5* down on Scamps.

If you want to know what the original angle was, get the serial number off the axle tag or stencil to
Dexter and they should be able to look it up (shop can do likewise for the Scamp on the lot).
All of the axle talk on the board here made me re-think changing the one on our 88-16'. When I finally found the original tag under all of the paint I was able to find out it was an AL-KO 2400 lb axle. The AL-KO distributor and plant that I talked to weren't able to help me with anything other than that. They said that there was numbers missing from the tag. The axle dealer that we deal with in the shop looked at a picture of the axle in an unloaded state and informed me that it was a 0 degree start angle that was probably sagged to around -5 degrees loaded. Seriously worn out rubber. As best as I could tell this was the original axle.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #27

You might call Scamp with your VIN and see what they can tell you. They pretty much have a standard order for their axles.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
You might call Scamp with your VIN and see what they can tell you. They pretty much have a standard order for their axles.

I've allready gone that route a few times. After hearing the story for the 3rd or 4th time (from Scamp) about how the fire destroyed everything and vin numbers from that far back won't do any good for researching construction and equipment options, we decided to go it on our own so to speak. We did pretty much the same thing that everyone else here has had to do. After working with our axle supplier who deals in Dexter, we ordered a dexter 10TF35-545E with the AP bracket A/P 166-00. I don't have the measurements handy but everyone should take their own measurements for their own specific trailer. We chose to go with the +10 degree down start angle. This should result in an aproximate 1-1.5 inches increase in ride height from current.

added: Thanks for the suggestion. I allways appreciate any suggestions from board members.

Tags
axle