Finally the new axle is installed! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
Well I finally got my new axle installed in my '81 Scamp.

I have always liked the lower riding Scamps, which is what mine is / was. As they changed the axle hight in 1990. Now the camper sits higher like the newer models.. Is it suppose to be that way?

I know the newer scamps sit higher than the older ones. But I don't know if this is what they were all like when new and gravity has taken its toll after time on all of them or what? I did specify on the phone when ordering that I needed the older type style.

Anyways, I was just a little curious if anyone had their two cents on the whole deal. But even if I found something out its not like I am going to change it, as it was a task installing the new one.. haha.
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Was a spring pack change does as well? Quite often newly installed springs can take a fair time to "settle" to a more reasonable height.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

Just the torsion axle from Scamp was installed to if that clears it up ... Thanks for the response!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13 ft
Hello, I too just installed a new axle on my 1980 13'er today. I sometimes really appreciate what I do for a living ( weld ) because the axle swap only took a little over an hour.
I decided to reinstalll the axle in the same direction, as a leading axle. It sure made quite the difference in height. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Next is the rear plywood floor replacement, then paint, and the sagging door, then the exterior. I figure with one bite at a time, Maybe I'll finish in the next ten years!!!!!! Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
axle_replacement_002.jpg   axle_replacement_008.jpg  

axle_replacement_003.jpg  
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the pics, mine looks just like yours does.

Don't worry, the whole project won't take as long as you think. I have done everything you are planning to do, as with mine the axle was the last of them. I am now finished just 1 year later. Enjoy it while it lasts, its the most fun you'll ever have working on something.... haha.

To fix the door I had to buy new hinges then re drill new holes in the door to get it to line up right. Thankfully I painted it afterwords, so no problem with the holes. Just a little bondo and your good to go!

Painting is a task, just take your time. The longer you prep, the better it looks, I got a little ancy with mine and now have to do some fiberglass work then repaint the top shell..

Anywho... Just have fun...

Thanks for your two cents... !
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Isaac,

Where did you get your axle?
I'm getting ready to replace mine on our 81 13' Scamp and I see Scamp wants about $470 with brakes and you can get a Dexter #9 with brakes out here for around $300. Is there anything you need to know to order one?
I wish I could weld, having a rough time getting anyone to return my calls about installing the axle here in Phoenix.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Isaac,

Where did you get your axle?
I'm getting ready to replace mine on our 81 13' Scamp and I see Scamp wants about $470 with brakes and you can get a Dexter #9 with brakes out here for around $300. Is there anything you need to know to order one?
I wish I could weld, having a rough time getting anyone to return my calls about installing the axle here in Phoenix.

I bought it at redneck trailer supply in Supher Springs, Tx. I think it only cost about $160something. No brakes, just hubs.
Make sure to have the hub face dimensions and I ordered mine as a 2000lb.with a 22 1/2 degree down angle, and I think it is 63 or 63 1/2 hub face. Also, make sure to
use the high profile brackets. Explain to them that the brackets need to be with the flat plate on the outside. The bracket measurement I think is 49 1/2 O.D.
Please note... These are only rough measurements that i remember. As far as a welder, I only know of one name out there, Scotty Peruccio but i think he is a pipeline guy.
Attached Thumbnails
axle_replacement_004.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Isaac and mcnick
I was told by Dexter axle NOT in stall the torsion axle in the leading arm position . Because the axle is made to be a trailing arm setup . Did you get them to make a special axle for you? I have to replace mine in the spring also (1983 13' Scamp) I would also suggest a few more welds on that bracket to the frame, if it were mine. Unless you bolted it to the frame also you should be ok.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Isaac and mcnick
I was told by Dexter axle NOT in stall the torsion axle in the leading arm position . Because the axle is made to be a trailing arm setup . Did you get them to make a special axle for you? I have to replace mine in the spring also (1983 13' Scamp) I would also suggest a few more welds on that bracket to the frame, if it were mine. Unless you bolted it to the frame also you should be ok.

Well, that's a good question, When I talked to the guy, he said that they sold their axles to casita some time back, so he was familiar with what I needed. Of course, I didn't tell him it was a leading axle though. As far as a special axle needed for leading arm setup, I guess I'll have to call and ask. Maybe it's just hype.. (hopefully). And yes I was able to weld much more than it looks.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is what I was told. Dexter used to make axles with leading arms and trailing arms. Swapping sides affects the alignment of the wheels and tires. They have recently decided to manufacture only trailing arms and current trailers are built to use trailing arms only.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #11

Finally got the Dexter location that installs here in Phoenix to call me and I am going to bring the Scamp in so they can get an exact estimate to replace with the Dexter #9 Torflex with 7" brakes. When I get that pricing I'll post it for a reference. They said it would be 2-4 weeks to receive the axle from Dexter after they order it.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Finally got the Dexter location that installs here in Phoenix to call me and I am going to bring the Scamp in so they can get an exact estimate to replace with the Dexter #9 Torflex with 7" brakes. When I get that pricing I'll post it for a reference. They said it would be 2-4 weeks to receive the axle from Dexter after they order it.
Greg,
Did you ever get the pricing?
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Greg,
Did you ever get the pricing?
Roy

Roy,

I got the estimate for $395 for the axle with 7" brakes, delivered to the shop and they are estimating $150-200 for cutting off the old one and welding the new one. They are installing the bolt on brackets so the next swap can be done by a non-welding dummy like me... When they examined it and took the measurements, etc. I think he said they order it with a 15 up angle. I asked why it was up and not down and he said the way it is installed is flipped. We'll see when they get it, I guess they know what they're doing. Good thing is, if they aren't right it's their issue.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Roy,

I got the estimate for $395 for the axle with 7" brakes, delivered to the shop and they are estimating $150-200 for cutting off the old one and welding the new one. ... I think he said they order it with a 15 up angle. I asked why it was up and not down and he said the way it is installed is flipped.
Thanks Greg.

I'm interested in the actual up angle since Dexter makes a 10 and 22.5 degree up. Is it possible it might be another brand?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummmm, I'm thinking it should be a down angle. hummmm. Mine is a 45 degree down, because I wanted 15" tires.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Greg.

I'm interested in the actual up angle since Dexter makes a 10 and 22.5 degree up. Is it possible it might be another brand?
They ordered a Dexter #9 Torflex. I'll give him a call on Monday and go over it with him, but I'm pretty sure he said 15 up.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Dexter #9 comes in -22.5, -10, 0 , +10, +22.5, +45 per

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K%2...0-05_80_res.pdf

Al-Ko has some different angles, but not a 15*

http://al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
What is the name of the shop in Phoenix? You never know when you will need them.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #19

K.A.R Trailers 623.465.7318 I-17 N. Just north of the Outlet Mall at Anthem on the Westbound frontage rd.
They are working with Auto Safety House who is the Dexter dealer in Phoenix.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #20

Okie dokie... I went over and spent about 45 minutes with the service manager at the trailer shop that is doing my axle. I took all the posts and the dexter printouts and we discussed all the Scamp 13 axle installation issues.

The leading arm/trailing arm issue. It is a leading arm and Dexter only makes a trailing arm, so we called the Dexter dealer here in Phoenix and they called the Dexter installation guru's at the factory. It is fine to reverse the axle and according to them it won't cause any problems. They understand on the older Scamps it does need to be reversed to fit properly on replacement. However, that is not an officially supported installation and Dexter will use that as a way to void the warranty.

My axle measurements they ordered were:
Hub face 63 1/2
Brackets 49 1/2
Up 10 degrees

When I mentioned everyone here was saying it should be 10 degrees down, he said that is not what was on my trailer when he took the measurements that it was definitely 10 degrees up. There was a 13 Scamp on the lot that had come in that morning so we went and looked under it and he is right, it is an up angle.
Now if you want to really raise the trailer and maybe put some oversize tires on it, then you can go with the down angle, but at least on these two original axle 13 Scamps it definitely is up. I store mine in our garage and need it to be an original replacement so I agreed with him that he got it right. We asked the Dexter dealer what he thought about the angle and he said he agreed on the 10 degree up as well for the old Scamp.

I really have been pleased with the amount of time that Ray at KAR trailers has spent wet nursing me through this process. This is one area, that I don't want or have any background to tackle myself. I feel pretty confident after walking through everything with Ray today that I have some good trailer mechanics solving this and they gave me a very fair price. In four to six weeks the axle will be installed (having them put a 2" Bulldog coupler on too) and then off to find Yogi.

Hope this info helps everyone else that is looking at the axle replacement process.

Tags
axle