First, most important mod? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
First, most important mod?

With the nice weather we have been having in upstate NY, I find myself with some reason to visit my camper every day. When I do I usually stand there for a few minutes and look around and daydream/plan. We have only spent one night in it, in our side yard. I wonder, where should I start with fixing her up ( no name yet). A quick list of what she needs: windows/dome leaks, seat wood needs replacement, bathroom wall covering badly falling off, rest of camper may be re-gluable, frig hasn't worked yet, needs that wheel/jack thing on the tongue installed, back stabilizing jacks need to be re-installed or replaced, tongue needs to be painted, propane tested and possibly fixed, water tested and possibly fixed, battery installed, spare tire holder installed, door crack somehow made to seal the door( that little bit at the bottom that sent quite close)... I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting now. The (few) things we have done or are working: we have light! And exterior brake/ directional lights, new tires, the upholstery was repaired to make it what I want for now, there is a port a potty and the water pump has turned on...and I have towed it... So what would be a good place to start??? Is one of these repairs easy and I can get it done and check it off my list??
Also, I wonder what was your first mod?
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My first mod was a Fantastic fan.

There have been several since, and several more to go. I'm not sure I see an end to it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Start on the leaks so that can't do any more damage. First and second mod was a shelf under the sink, and a doggy den under one of the seats. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. We have a bit of stuff to do as well. Don't let it overwhelm you.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

Name: Meghan
New York
Registry
I'm not overwhelmed I'm excited! I can pretty much camp in it as is, so I'm a happy camper!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
glad to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
I'm not overwhelmed I'm excited! I can pretty much camp in it as is, so I'm a happy camper!
Enjoy! It will all come in time.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
My first mod wasn't really a mod but it was to clean and scrub the Ensolite with soapy water and Clorox Cleanup.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I had three:

1st - Umbilical holder. That's a piece of PVC with a cap, then inverted and clamped on the jack post with a hose clamp. The 30 electric plug is stored there to keep it out of the weather.

2nd - An access door on the couch cabinet wall just inside the main trailer door. Easy access to the storage area without having to lift up the couch cushion.

3rd - Struts for the gravel guard. Used PVC to prop up the gravel guard on the front window, using small hose clamps as hinges at the top.

Numerous, numerous mods since then.

The very best one is the stove ignitor. If I were to do it all again the stove ignitor would be the very 1st one I'd do.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I agree with SFoss, the leaks should be addressed to prevent further damage. The leaks most likely indicate it's time to reseal the entire trailer, a lot of work but will save even more headache down the road.

My first mod was interior LED lamp replacement and a WFCO 3 stage converter/charger upgrade. The LED's provided some instant gratification while I slowly and deliberately replaced the factory battery burning converter.

Have fun with your project!
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Meghan. I agree with the others, leaks first. On an old trailer I would remove everything on the outside of the trailer and reseal it with butyl tape starting from the top down. If you are planning on painting, do that first. As you remove each window for resealing you can clean and repair as needed. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures as you go. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
JOY.....loved your Umbilical Cord protector!

Could you PLEASE take a pic and post it for me. I'm mechanically challenged and can't even picture (in my mind) the easy to make finishied product.
I would love to make one for my trailer...I've always felt terrible when it sits outside in the Oregon RAINS. I'd tried a tight plastic bag secured with a tight Twistie...but every attempt still let the moisture in.
I can't wait to make a cap like yours and PROUDLY show my friends my NEW modification.

Barbara (with the old-cuter-than-cute-retro '73 Compact II) We've taken a few early morning walks in the campground, with our coffee and your pup.
Thanks and hope to see you at a NOG or Bandon this year.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Start at the top with the vent leak. I have basic craft skills and was able to easily remove and replace my old vent with a new one. You may be able to buy time with the window leaks by simply caulking as a temporary measure so you can camp. But because the roof takes so much more abuse from sun exposure and weather, just re-calking around the vent usually won't fix the leak. and of course NEW curtains !!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Some pictures of the umbilical holder. I cut two notches in the PVC and then a couple of opposing holes through which a snapper pin goes.

The notches are for the ears/wings on the umbilical and then the snapper pin goes under them holding the umbilcal up into the PVC.

I'll be at Bandon....B loop.
Attached Thumbnails
129_2929.JPG   109_7421.JPG  

pole bracket.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Some pictures of the umbilical holder. I cut two notches in the PVC and then a couple of opposing holes through which a snapper pin goes.

The notches are for the ears/wings on the umbilical and then the snapper pin goes under them holding the umbilcal up into the PVC.

I'll be at Bandon....B loop.
Very clever.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Your DAD is grinning 'down', while reading this thread,

...and quietly thinking, "Yup, that's my girl".
Again, I so admire your mechanical skills and only wish my Dad had also had them, in order to pass them on to me. Mine's probably laughing, as I wrote that. We both knew we couldn't sing, and we couldn't fix-it!

Hope to see you at Bandon...I didn't sign up yet.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #15

Meghan,

The leaks!!!! Mine was really, really awful once they took off the old ceiling cover. The Playpac ceiling was terribly thin in places (think about like paper!) and just the weight of the glass on the roof was creating a big dent and it just kept getting worse. I have some photos posted somewhere on here of what the roof looked like. Well, they propped up the roof and fiberglassers a piece of plywood in there and it's solid as a rock now. The gap that was around the door is gone also as when he raised the roof back up to where it should be that took the body sag out as well and the door gap closed. I wouldn't think of doing anything to the camper until I checked the roof under that ensolite.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote