First pictures of the Aluminum floor. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Aluminum floor test fit and cut, all the seams will be covered by the benches and the cabinetry
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_001.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_002.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_003.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_004.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_005.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_006.jpg  

Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Aluminum floor test fit and cut, all the seams will be covered by the benches and the cabinetry
The rest of the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_006.jpg   Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_007.jpg  

Bronco_Convertible_top_and_aluminim_foam_008.jpg  
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Looks interesting but will it be cold? I'm just thinking of my tootsies on a 3AM bathroom jaunt!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Interesting stuff... Is it available commercially? How's the cost? How is it cut? So many questions...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Looks interesting but will it be cold? I'm just thinking of my tootsies on a 3AM bathroom jaunt!
I'll let you know on the cold tootsies, but I'm pretty sure it won't be anything a mat on the floor can't take care of LOL.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Interesting stuff... Is it available commercially? How's the cost? How is it cut? So many questions...
It is available commercially but I don't know if you can buy it retail just yet.
The company that makes and sells it is called Alusion
Their website is www.alusion.com

We cut it with a cross cut blade and a Skill saw, maybe not the best method but it worked for our requirements, I'm just kind of experimenting at the moment.

I'll be using a product on the walls called Sintra, it's a sheet plastic about 1/8th inch thick or something similar.

Available at most plastics retailers.

My goal is to make this little trailer as impervious to water damage as is possible with an eye on cost.

For the walls and floor bracing I'll be using a product called Bluwood available at Loews in Canada, I don't know if it's available in the USA yet.

It's made to resist Mold and Fungus and wood ingesting insects.

Their website www.bluwoodcanada.com

In doing this rebuild I thought that I might as well try and use new and innovative products to complete the job with the goal of having a comfortable long lasting trailer as the end result.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
How easy will it dent?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
How easy will it dent?
It's made up of millions of little air bubbles covered with a hard candy shell sort of like an Areo chocolate bar with an M&M coating, just walking on it I don't think it will dent and depending on it's bubble size and the number of bubbles and the thickness I believe these things all affect it.

The stuff I'm using is 1/2 inch thickness and pretty rigid, I also will be covering the top of it with a 2 part clear epoxy for shine and easy clean up ie... sweeping or moping of the floor It should also give it the appearance of ceramic flooring with out the weight or breaking problem of ceramic tile.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #9

Trailer: Beachcomber B15
so yeah I got some curtains sewn for mine and managed to paint a little........ sooooo jealous right now.

Looks swank. I love the epoxy, that will give it a nice finish and it should take care of some of the cold problem too (depending on the thickness?).

Can't wait to hear about the paneling install.
Michelle GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
so yeah I got some curtains sewn for mine and managed to paint a little........ sooooo jealous right now.

Looks swank. I love the epoxy, that will give it a nice finish and it should take care of some of the cold problem too (depending on the thickness?).

Can't wait to hear about the paneling install.
Don't be jealous, if anybody should be jealous it should be me LOL, you guys at least get to use your Beachcomber, the condition ours was in, well let's just say I can't believe the folks that owned it before us used it.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Rick,
How do you think that stuff would work for stove and sink covers?
Or cupboard doors for that matter?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Rick,
How do you think that stuff would work for stove and sink covers?
Or cupboard doors for that matter?
Actually Roy I'll be using it to make the counter top and benches using 1 by 3 Bluwood for the framing and then two part clear epoxy top coat finish for easy wipe down and clean up.

Like I said in a previous post this is a fairly new building material and all is experimental but so far it looks like it's working out pretty good and the product looks great.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I would think these would work well:

http://www.pacificpanels.com/

They are used in airplanes.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hi Rick, the floor looks good. do you have an idea of the weight of the floor? also wondering about the cost. I have a compact jr I was thinking of doing a frame off on this winter and was trying to think of something other than ply wood to use and think this would look great. could even be a nice foundation to lay carpet, or maybe even a hardwood floor over.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rick, the floor looks good. do you have an idea of the weight of the floor? also wondering about the cost. I have a compact jr I was thinking of doing a frame off on this winter and was trying to think of something other than ply wood to use and think this would look great. could even be a nice foundation to lay carpet, or maybe even a hardwood floor over.
Well as I said in a previous post the Aluminum foam is a fairly new product and a little on the expensive side, the weight for the floor is 55 pounds give or take a pound.
The floor is experimental, I am very happy with the outcome though.

The company that manufactures and sells the product is called Alusion their website is: www.alusion.com

Alusion is owned by Cymat in case the link takes you there.