Fix Gap Between Trailer and Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Fix Gap Between Trailer and Awning

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find anything.

On a Casita what is likely the best method to close the gap between the trailer and the awning? I need to prevent rain from running through this area. I'm thinking of using 3/4" PVC and caulking on the top side. What caulking or adhesive should I use? Is this adequate to hold the PVC in place or should I use some mechanical attachment to the awning brackets as well? Or, are there better solutions for this?

All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Hutch
Ron H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Scamp had the area between the awning and the roof sealed , my Casita does not . The seal on my Scamp did stop water from running done the side of the trailer but it also trapped dirt and leaves , which if you don't constantly clean left stains in the gel coat which were impossible to remove .Our Scamp seal also was badly deteriorated from UV damage . I also had a rivet break under the seal and it was a b__ch to replace.
My Casita without the seal allows for the water and dirt to run off the roof and I can clean and wax the area.
I have heard of people using pool noodles to seal the area .
I would not glue a permanent seal in place but if your only objective is to stop the water flow then have at it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Ron, we used a flexible rain gutter that Camping World (I'm sure others also sell) sells in white and off white, that is a peel and stick application. This was just what we needed, worked out great, and looks like something the factory installed. You can also apply this over the windows so there isn't rain running from the roof, down the sides, and into your windows.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H. View Post
I'm sure this is addressed somewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find anything.

On a Casita what is likely the best method to close the gap between the trailer and the awning? I need to prevent rain from running through this area. I'm thinking of using 3/4" PVC and caulking on the top side. What caulking or adhesive should I use? Is this adequate to hold the PVC in place or should I use some mechanical attachment to the awning brackets as well? Or, are there better solutions for this?

All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Hutch
here is a picture of 3/4" pvc installed on my scamp use kitchen & bath caulk since it has mildew killer in it...
It has worked well for more than a dozen years so far...
the second picture is on a different project trailer but the same application shown from above.
Attached Thumbnails
sm12.JPG   DSCF0212.JPG  

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A clear vinyl tubing, that is flexible can be stuffed in the gap, allows for variations in the gap. Then use a clear silicone caulk. It will get black over time with dirt and leaves. I do like the idea of the white "gutter".
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Ron, we used a flexible rain gutter that Camping World (I'm sure others also sell) sells in white and off white, that is a peel and stick application. This was just what we needed, worked out great, and looks like something the factory installed. You can also apply this over the windows so there isn't rain running from the roof, down the sides, and into your windows.
Dave & Paula
Just what I need for my leaky windows
Thank you
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #7

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Gutters

I so have the stock on gutter and we like it.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will decide soon on how I want to proceed with this project.

Hutch
Ron H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning