Fixing up an '83 Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Thanks to many of you (especially the invaluable advice and info from Raya), we are making progress on fixing up the 83 Scamp that we bought in April. Once we were in possession, it was clear that a lot of water damage had taken place. The seller said a roof vent leaked (it had been replaced with a skylight). The floor was waterlogged, cabinets warped, really smelly! We're chronicling the fixup via photos and thought we'd share a link that holds the pdf file. We have lots to do before we take this guy camping but by the end of next weekend we should have the floor completed. I'll be updating the link as we go along. Karin

http:/sites.google.com/site/83scampredo
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Working link to the pdf with pictures and text.

83Scampredo
Old 05-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
I just bought an 83 13' Casita yesterday from the Dallas area... We also have alot of work to do on ours..Good luck on your project ..
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Starcraft
Quote:
I just bought an 83 13' Casita yesterday from the Dallas area... We also have alot of work to do on ours..Good luck on your project ..

Phillip, did you happen to get it from a craigslist listing? at about 2900? If so I'd been thinking about getting it. Small world. Alicia
Alicia G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Phillip, did you happen to get it from a craigslist listing? at about 2900? If so I'd been thinking about getting it. Small world. Alicia

yes I did .. and it needs some work
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Starcraft
Quote:
yes I did .. and it needs some work

Well, I hope you knew about it going in. He made it sound like he'd spent a lot of money fixing it up.
Alicia G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:

Congratulations! Let us know how everything goes. The great thing about an old Scamp is the existing Scamp parts store has almost anything you might need to replace - hardware, molding, etc. Good luck, Phillip!
Karin
Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #8

I have found the enemy and it is water. More damage on the top floor. Both floors now are better than new, and finished!!

http://sites.google.com/site/83scampredo/

I'm not sure what I did wrong last time, and probably this time, too, so I hope this link works.

Karin
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Love the new floor you put in!
Amanda D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looking good, how about posting some of your pictures here?
Makes me wonder if it would have been any easier to replace my floor rather than patch it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #11

Now that the floor is in with (Trafficmaster allure in country pine) things are looking up. I've repainted the interior, replaced all the soft trims and seam taping, and am in the process of replacing the rigid trim around cabinets, etc. I just finished the curtains though the fact that neither my husband nor I like them means I will do another set. I have the original 83 scamp curtains free for the asking (I'm also posting on Pay it Forward). I'll pay shipping if you'll launder.

I don't know what your floor looks like Roy but replacing the floor was a big job, for someone like me anyway. It is gratifying, though, and sets a precedent for doing things all the way and the right way (I hope).

Here's pics of the floor and will follow with pics of the trim once its done. Couldn't have done ANY of this without you folks on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1867.jpg   IMG_1868.jpg  

Old 07-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #12

Sweeet .. looks like a fantastic job....
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Sweeet .. looks like a fantastic job....
Thanks, Phillip! How's your coming along?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #14

Registry
Nice job fixing the floor.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Been there, done that.... And there's only one way to fix it right. Great job!
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Now that the floor is in with (Trafficmaster allure in country pine) things are looking up. I've repainted the interior, replaced all the soft trims and seam taping, and am in the process of replacing the rigid trim around cabinets, etc. I just finished the curtains though the fact that neither my husband nor I like them means I will do another set. I have the original 83 scamp curtains free for the asking (I'm also posting on Pay it Forward). I'll pay shipping if you'll launder.

I don't know what your floor looks like Roy but replacing the floor was a big job, for someone like me anyway. It is gratifying, though, and sets a precedent for doing things all the way and the right way (I hope).

Here's pics of the floor and will follow with pics of the trim once its done. Couldn't have done ANY of this without you folks on this forum.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL JOB!!! We are rehabbing an 83 5er in really serious condition.
will show hubby the pics of your underlayment replacement which we are having to do.
thanks! we intend on doing photos. like the pdf idea. may need help figuring out how to do that, tho! : )
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #17

Question

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL JOB!!! We are rehabbing an 83 5er in really serious condition.
will show hubby the pics of your underlayment replacement which we are having to do.
thanks! we intend on doing photos. like the pdf idea. may need help figuring out how to do that, tho! : )

Thanks! I get the feeling that folks here prefer posters just upload photos so I sort of abandoned the pdf/Google page. I am really looking forward to your pics, though. I am mildly down right now - we had to completely replace hitch, so essentially threw $175 out the window, and on our way back from our first ever Scamp trip, the shroud of the roof-mounted A/C unit must have come off. Besides really worrying about causing an accident we are looking at $150 to replace that. Like someone said, like a house, always $$$. Sure helps to have a job to support this habit.

Tags
scamp