Flexible LED Strip Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Flexible LED Strip Lights

I just saw a YouTube video on installing the LED strip lights and wonder if others went this route. The reason I am asking is because this is a lot cheaper than buying new bulbs. Here is the one from Amazon.
Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT (TM) 5M Waterproof 5050 SMD 300 Epoxy LED Strip Light White: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Here is a vid on how it is done.

Please let me know if this is a fail or not! Thanks.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
For $14 you get 60 LED lights that must have the current limiting resistors since they are rated at 12V DC. Yes, that's a pretty good deal.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I like it. I have something like that in my egg. Lowe's and Costco sell flexible LED strips by Sylvania. I got 15 ft and controller on sale for $29 at Costco. Lowe's sells the parts separate (more $$ but you can build and customize).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-330522766.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	65808

My phone has color issues so ignore the purple hue. BTW you can get them in white or multi color. We went this route and added a switch by the door. It fixes the gripe we have that RVs have the switch on the light which is not always very convenient.

Jason

PS Shawn - I like the AC unit sitting behind the propane tank on your avatar.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
I have converted my egg to led, some are flexible strips and some arerigid strips.

the link you post is a good price but be carefull, they are rated 6000k-8000k (this designation is for light temperature, the higher, the whiter) so very very white light. you are better off with 3000-3200k...wich is more like an incadescent bulb .
aalso choose smd5050 over other strips, they will give you the best results in my opinion.

i have two strips installed around the windows to use refelection of the walls to illuminate the egg. it makes for very nice even light

the two following pics give you an idea...of course the camera make the light around the window look way to bright

this last pic you can see the whiter light that is set above the stove(its a 6000k rigid strip)..
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks Terry, Have you used them before?

Jason, How many feet of lights do you have going on there? It looks very brite! So I guess you like yours. I like the cost of these LED lights and was hoping others use them. I also notice you can buy a remote for them and the ends for just a couple of bucks on Amazon. I just never delt with Led's before so I am a newbie on LED's.
The a/c split unit was the smartest thing I did to the Boler. Very low noise and it is a 3/4 ton unit. Oh and a lot cheaper than roof top. I can also use my Yamaha 2000 gen to run it and the camper with power to spare. Thanks for the info and I love the light your put off!!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Florida
Bernard, pretty smart and looks good putting them behind the curtain and out of site. And it throws off a lot of light. Thanks for the info on what to look for. This seems to be a cheaper way to go using LED's. I am glad I asked. So for less than 50 bucks I will have all the light and remote (s) I would be able to use. I was thinking everyone was replacing the bulbs with the high cost led bulbs. Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
No Shawn, I haven't used the strip lights. But I was an early adopter of LED lights for my Casita. There are 11 different light fixtures in my rig and at about $20 each for the LED replacements, I invested quite a lot of money. Had these strips been available then, I definitely would have used them.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

Florida
Can someone tell me how much of a bend can you make on these strips? I wouldn't think you could turn a 90 degree but I might be wrong..
Old 10-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Can someone tell me how much of a bend can you make on these strips? I wouldn't think you could turn a 90 degree but I might be wrong..
The strips are like a half moon on the side of led and flat at the back where you stick them
You can only bend then in the way they are rolled in the pack, you cannot bend them sideways... Actually they will bend a little sideways but it will break the connections...

Some led are build to shhot light from the sides wich allow you to follow contours while you shoot the light up or down. the ones i found so far are not as bright as the 5050...
Also, unless you are using rgb strips, you dont really need a controller unless you plan on dimming them...a simple switch is enough
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:

The a/c split unit was the smartest thing I did to the Boler. Very low noise and it is a 3/4 ton unit.
What brand and where did you get it?

I would think that putting it on the tongue could be problematic when traveling, with possibly damaging the unit.

I love the idea and I think I am going to do this. MUCH cleaner install than any other option I think. Also it is a heat pump so heating will be less current, though not useful in very cold environments.

Very cool (or warm)!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
What brand and where did you get it?

I would think that putting it on the tongue could be problematic when traveling, with possibly damaging the unit.

I love the idea and I think I am going to do this. MUCH cleaner install than any other option I think. Also it is a heat pump so heating will be less current, though not useful in very cold environments.

Very cool (or warm)!
I have no problem with the unit. None. I got the cheapest I could find because I haven't seen anyone else do it and I wanted to make sure it would work. I bought this one for myself KWCA09A0K1CA9000A00 - Emi enviroair 9,000 9k btu ductless mini split ac air conditioner system #kwca09a0/k1ca9000a00 - Bargaintory.com
the price has went up since I bought mine. But still better than a roof top and better than a window unit if you ask me.
I did make a vid if you care to watch it. I think it will answer anything you would ask. Others have did the same since I did mine.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-rv-58878.html
I didnt buy the heating unit just the cooling unit. 2 reasons why.
1 It was cheaper at the time
2 I was the first person to do this so I didn't want to jump all in just in case it didn't work.
As far as the heating goes, I just use the buddy heater. I use it at the house when not camping. Now that I installed this unit knowing the if's and but's I would went with the cooling and heating one. But you have to start somewhere I guess. It was real easy to install. Please feel free to ask away, I wish someone did this before me so it would be pain free.
Also if you have the extra cash laying around I would go with a inverter unit. Mine is not. Just Google mini split systems with inverter to know more. But if your not full timering you might not want to spend the extra $.
In my next house I will have these units and not the whole house energy hogs!

Tags
light, lights