FlexTile - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
FlexTile

Is anyone familiar with this product line?

http://flextile.com

The challenge with using ceramic tiles in an RV or trailer is that ceramic isnt designed for movement. It appears that Flextile has come up with a system that overcomes this problem. It may be their silicone based grout formula that is the key to making this work.

Any thoughts on flextile?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It looks like normal tile sheet bound with a flexible adhesive and a modified silly cone for grout. You could probably find everything you need at your local home depot or tile place.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It looks like normal tile sheet bound with a flexible adhesive and a modified silly cone for grout. You could probably find everything you need at your local home depot or tile place.
Yes, this is what I pondering too. It may be just the grout and the adhesive that makes this system work.

If you do a search on google about doing ceramic in an RV you get a lot of contradictory results. Some say it cant/shouldnt be done.

Thoughts anyone?

Derek
Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
I think my main concern would be the added weight. Anyone who's ever lifted a box of ceramic tiles knows how heavy they are. Besides the added weight, our trailers don't need the same capabilities as a tile used in the home, as we only live in them part time, so they receive a lot less use and abuse.
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

I still think something like this is more practical. Shop Instant Mosaic 2012 Stainless Steel Color Metal Mosaic Subway Indoor/Outdoor Peel-and-Stick Wall Tile (Common: 12-in x 12-in; Actual: 12-in x 12-in) at Lowes.com
Old 04-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
I think my main concern would be the added weight. Anyone who's ever lifted a box of ceramic tiles knows how heavy they are. Besides the added weight, our trailers don't need the same capabilities as a tile used in the home, as we only live in them part time, so they receive a lot less use and abuse.
This is a fair comment. I'm actually looking at using radiant floor heating. Sadly, vinyl and radiant heat aren't a good mix. The options are carpet, wood or laminate, and ceramic. The heat tends to deteriorate vinyl. Vinyl floor is probably what many are using here The Alure floating floor products seem to be quite popular on this site. Carpet and wood would probably not last well in this environment. That leaves you with ceramic.

I noticed that most of the tiles on the flextile website are 1" or 2" in size. I wonder if this has anything to do with functionality in an RV.

Derek
Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

Oh, you're getting really fancy then! I think for weight bearing areas, then the smaller the tiles the better so they can give a bit. Installing tiles in an RV is a lot different than in a home, as our homes don't get the vibrations of being on the road all the time, unless you live in earthquake territory like I do. I learned last weekend that if you leave the paper towels hanging in the trailer during transport, that by the time you get to your destination all of them will be on the floor! I had forgotten how bumpy the inside of the trailer gets due to lack of shock absorbers like the towing vehicle has.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Seems like a nice product--very durable. If you can stand the weight penalty, I think it's a good idea. I also like the smaller tiles for better traction.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
I emailed the manufacturer of Flextile. I share the reply here. Perhaps these comments will be useful to someone. I specifically asked if the system was acceptable for radiant heating. I also asked if the tiles were unique or if the adhesive and sealant were what made their system work.

Hi Derek,

Our products will withstand temperatures of -50F to +350F.

You run a risk of cracking tiles if any floor tiles are larger than 2" X 2".

Our tiles don't have unique characteristics. They're called "hard bisque" or
"frost proof". Almost all 1" X 1" tiles are frost proof. All that this means
is that the tile is very hard, 97% density.

Bob