Floor help please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Leonie, it sounds like you're making great progress! I need to remove/replace the rear most section of flooring in my trunk area. Was your plywood bonded to the lower part of the fiberglass? Mine looks like that's how it's done laying in between the frame channels. Any pics would be great. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #16

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Pulled mine up with shove after the bolts where out came out ok

Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #17

Name: Leonie
Trailer: boler,Amerigo,Airstream,Thomson
Ontario
Floor

I don't think it was very securely bonded, it came up pretty easily once I used my oscillating tool to cut the FG all around the edge. Some parts stuck but I think the wood had deteriorated enough to make the bond weak. I used a long catspaw and pry bar to gently pry up and it just went pop.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Ontario
Pics

Before the floor came out
Attached Thumbnails
front piece out.jpg   ready to come out.jpg  

Old 10-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Looking good how are you going back ? Bed , table ?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #20

Ontario
rear floor

Hi Steve, the rear floor is not FG'd around the edge, and it is stuck to the floor but mr Claus has the right idea. I took the opportunity to beef up the frame channels right at the back where they meet the walls with FG because I had some cracking starting. It is quite the project because all the cabinets rest on that back piece of floor as well. I had to totally gut, in the end it will be a brand new trailer, ready for another 42 years. The frame was in GREAT shape except the bumper was all bent so I also had the welder install a 4"pipe as the bumper to store awning poles and drain pipe for the grey water.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #21

Ontario
Layout

I think we will keep the layout the same but I will switch all of the electrical boxes and mechanicals to the front bench and the umbilicals can come out at the front too. It had a bathroom installed and a wacky 4" nest of ABS underneath to act as a black tank (They even cut away some of the crossmembers, duh). Crossmembers have been replaced and one more added. A small hole for venting pipe was drilled in the bathroom ceiling that will be excellent as a port for solar wires. A PO must have left the battery in all winter one year and it must have frozen and leaked because the battery compartment was all eaten through, all the way to the outside. I have repaired it all but think I can do much better and would like to use AGM's. Since they are heavy I will put them near the tongue, which works for solar too. I have filled all superfluous holes for a more streamlined appearance. The water tank can go in the rear bench on the sink side with shore and gravity fill right there, pump under the sink. I will just make sure that it is well supported by the frame, not the FG alone. I am weighing everything so that I can keep him balanced. He will be painted as soon as I can get this frame under him. And finally once all is done he will be christened Shuttlecraft Galileo NCC1701/7 USS Enterprise Starfleet.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #22

Ontario
Like this

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9...048d1233340263
Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

Ontario
And this

https://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.c...he-galileo.jpg
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Leonie Belcher--thank you--hope you don't mind, I printed out your post for reference--I know there are others about floor repair and when I find them, I'll probably print them out, too, hoping no one objects. BIG question--granted, you use your four friends, jack(s) to help get it off the frame...but how, exactly? Doesn't it somehow crush up the top part? Also, we have no idea yet how much needs to be done; crossing our fingers and the idea about welding a support under the door to the other side is super, I agree, it doesn't look like enough support to me.
thanks again...
Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #25

Washington
Registry
THIS IS AWESOME!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #26

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Belcher View Post
I think we will keep the layout the same but I will switch all of the electrical boxes and mechanicals to the front bench and the umbilicals can come out at the front too. It had a bathroom installed and a wacky 4" nest of ABS underneath to act as a black tank (They even cut away some of the crossmembers, duh). Crossmembers have been replaced and one more added. A small hole for venting pipe was drilled in the bathroom ceiling that will be excellent as a port for solar wires. A PO must have left the battery in all winter one year and it must have frozen and leaked because the battery compartment was all eaten through, all the way to the outside. I have repaired it all but think I can do much better and would like to use AGM's. Since they are heavy I will put them near the tongue, which works for solar too. I have filled all superfluous holes for a more streamlined appearance. The water tank can go in the rear bench on the sink side with shore and gravity fill right there, pump under the sink. I will just make sure that it is well supported by the frame, not the FG alone. I am weighing everything so that I can keep him balanced. He will be painted as soon as I can get this frame under him. And finally once all is done he will be christened Shuttlecraft Galileo NCC1701/7 USS Enterprise Starfleet.
Leonie Belcher RE Galileo shuttlecraft--this is awesome! It is entirely amazing!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #27

Ontario
shell-off

Hi Kai, I used 2 12' 4x4's underneath at the flattest place at the front and across the back under the ledge and put the jacks on big logs under the 4x4's fairly close to the ends of the beams then jacked him up high enough to clear the wheels as we pulled the frame out. First however we had to get the shell high enough to slip the 4x4's under between the frame and shell. I used the hydraulic floor jack centered very carefully with a support board to spread the weight, to raise the back up first, slip in the 4x4 and then moved to the front and did the same. After the frame was out I secured the shell to the 4x4's with screws through the floor and then anchored the 4x4's to the ground with big straps and very heavy duty tent pegs. So far even with the crazy winds we get here it has been fine. I also have a few screw jacks with boards on top under the center of the shell because there was no support and it was pretty flimsy.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #28

Ontario
Frame

Yay frame is back from welders, looks great and the removable coupler is genius (I stole this idea from someone else). I have ground down any high spots, cleaned it, degreased it and POR15'd it. That stuff is amazing. Although it makes my eyes go all red from the fumes even when used outside in a stiff breeze, but that is just my sensitive eyes, even vinegar will do that to me. Now to rough up the tongue and bumper and paint them white. New axle is on (the correct way, after carefully checking labels on backing plates) and the tires. Won't be long and he will be in one piece again.

Tags
amerigo