Floor insulation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Scamp soaks the floor in resin. It make look like a bare wood floor, but it's not.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
in my non FGRV i used a carpet similar to the foam tiles used for kids playroom..its very insulating.

I have some installed in my cold basement and i can walk barefeet on it during wintertime no problem...the one i found was grey and had a diamond plate pattern. was sold in the automotiv departement at wallmart. of course in did on the inside of the trailer

another thing would be to use the very thin yoga mat under a regular carpet...

apparently cork is pretty good too

tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
I have posted this several times so a search will also turn up this info so.....the jigsaw tiles are sold at Sears with an indoor/outdoor carpet already on them.

I have used these in a few Eggs and in my Sprinter and they work great for the insulation,add considerable cushion to the floor and are very comfy in bare feet even in temps into the teens without socks.

They also vacuum easily and pull out for easy cleaning.
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Just throwing it out there but I have used those canned foam products as a spray. The nuances of it easily escape me but basically I put a tiny hole in the can and aimed it at the project (in this case a dishwasher) the foam is on the bottom of the can, propellant at the top.
I put on thin coats that expanded to about 1 inch then filled any gaps with an other can and the regular straw dispenser... be warned if you think the foam is messy already this increases the mess (and danger) levels at least as much as you might think. It works on vertical surfaces and downwards, don't know how you would spray up. Might let you get an idea of the suitability before investing in a real foam kit. At the very least its a way to get a bit of use out of half used cans that have become clogged.
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
oh but for the record I agree with those who have suggested at least starting with insulating the floor from the interior. The fiberglass is truly an elegant exterior covering
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:17 AM   #20
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
I have two of the 36" mats in my trailer. I don't even bother to remove them in the summer most years.

Foot Warmer Mat for Standing or Under Desk Use

They just fit the floor length of my 16 footer. Use about 100w per mat. They cover about 3/4 of the aisle width. They even take a little of the chill off the cabin at night. Stocking feet in the morning no matter how cold it is outside.

I also bought the Hi/Lo switches as I usually only set the mats on medium in the spring and fall.
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #21
Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
If the trailer has a wood floor, I think the best answer would be a spray-on rigid foam that is has a low flame-spread rating (very important) and also is permeable to water vapor. The water vapor permeance is important because there is already a very >impermeable< later on the top of the floor (the vinyl flooring) and you want some way for the wood to be able to dry out so it doesn't get stay wet (water will eventually get to it in some way).

One possible candidate is a foam like this: Tiger Foam | Spray Foam Insulation Kit | TF-200FR
Similar foams are available from other sources. Spray it on an inch thick and it would be R6, which is higher than the walls or ceiling of a Scamp or Casita (please don't believe the R15 claims for the reflective "insulation", it is nowhere close to being that effective in these trailers). The perm rating for a 1" thick later would be between 1 and 2, which isn't as highly permeable as I'd want ideally, but it is probably good enough. I wouldn't put on more than an inch.

You'd also need to protect the cured foam from sunlight (it will break it down)--a coat of paint will do that. Also, maybe some sort of mechanical protection against rocks and other road debris--maybe a layer of some sort of sturdy, breathable fabric.

Good luck!

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote