Floor insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Floor insulation

Has anyone tried to insulate the floor of an egg? Is there a blow on foam product that goes on liquid and then hardens? Kind of like the stuff in a can that you spray in cracks?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I am trying to figure out why you ask this? Are you trying to fill in cracks or insulate the floor?
I camp in winter so I wanted my floor insulated. I pulled the existing floor cover off.
Then I used two layers of a fiberous matt that I found at a RV service center. Cut it to fit in the center floor well of the Uhaul. No glue was needed.
I made a floor patern and cut to fit commercial grade carpet then layed it. Screwed the door trim over it at the entrance. It works good and my floor is warm and looks nice.
However I also think a closed cell foam would work just as well for insulation. I know you have seen the foam I speak of...it's the stuff that those jigsaw type floor squares are made of. They are made in gray for work areas or in primary colors for children's play areas.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Alabama
It seems floor insulation is a weak link in these glass eggs. Wood conducts cold very well. I am now looking at scamps which have an "R15" (?) rating but... not the floor me thinks. Yes, you can insulate the main area but it will be a pain to get under cupboards, closets, showers and so forth.

I am single and am looking to full time in mine. Winter, even in NC, is going to be a challenge. And I don't like cold...

I am also looking at doing a pergo kind of floor. I like the looks of that, it adds an open feeling.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
John, I think the problem would be with the cracks that would be between the foam and the floor. And you would have some of those because it doesn't go on like paint. Moisture shouldn't just stay there until it evaporates... and have this happen over and over.

I think insulating the interior would be a better solution. Maybe a heavier throw rug used during the colder times?

You are asking about putting the foam on the bottom outside of the floor?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Alabama
Yep. I am sure you have seen that can of yellowish foam which you spray into cracks around windows and doors etc. It expands and then hardens. Imagine that sprayed on the underside of the rig, 2 or more inches thick, hardened. Maybe painted if you want. It would provide a reasonable R value and be pretty durable I think.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen something like that done.

I know LivinLite uses a spray on (very thin) microbead paint kind of thing. It just seems some kind of spray on foam is a natural.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, I have heard that there are do-it-yourself spray-on foam products, but they're nowhere near as simple, as convenient, or as available as the crack-filling stuff (which is entirely unsuitable for this purpose). I hope someone has found a viable product and will report on it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Forgot to add...
There are certainly commercial products of this type. Many RVs are insulated this way, at the factory or - probably more commonly - by someone contracted by the RV owner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape Trailers has a foam package option that encloses the tanks and floor and keeps them warm in the winter. Works really well. Here is a picture on mine, now Escape paints it all black.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0041.JPG  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looks like the newer spray on home insulation. Don't know durable it would be for under a trailer though.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Still looks new after one year on the road...
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
As anyone use the sound and heat shield they use on cars in the engine bay? I had to spray that stuff on the cab engine bay for sound and keep the engine heat out. Just a thought...
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Keep in mind that many of your fiberglass eggs have limited headroom inside the trailer. If you add anything to the interior floor, i.e. insulation or flooring, you will be decreasing the available headroom. This may not be an issue for those of you who are vertically challenged, however, if you are relatively tall, it could definitely be a deal breaker. I personnally would go with a spray on insulation that goes on the underside of the trailer (and in fact I have). Maintains a warm floor and gives you max headroom.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #13

The big difference is the bottom of the Escape trailer is totally encased in fiberglass. It's a tubbed trailer. Scamp has an exposed wood floor. Us Scamp owners have to be careful we're not adding something to the bottom of the floor that would trap moisture.. I know the foam won't but it's the divots and cracks in the foam... next to the floor that may.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
I can not understand how a foam covered floor would not benefit from element protection vs bare wood, cracks or not.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #15

Scamp soaks the floor in resin. It make look like a bare wood floor, but it's not.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
in my non FGRV i used a carpet similar to the foam tiles used for kids playroom..its very insulating.

I have some installed in my cold basement and i can walk barefeet on it during wintertime no problem...the one i found was grey and had a diamond plate pattern. was sold in the automotiv departement at wallmart. of course in did on the inside of the trailer

another thing would be to use the very thin yoga mat under a regular carpet...

apparently cork is pretty good too
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have posted this several times so a search will also turn up this info so.....the jigsaw tiles are sold at Sears with an indoor/outdoor carpet already on them.

I have used these in a few Eggs and in my Sprinter and they work great for the insulation,add considerable cushion to the floor and are very comfy in bare feet even in temps into the teens without socks.

They also vacuum easily and pull out for easy cleaning.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #18

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Just throwing it out there but I have used those canned foam products as a spray. The nuances of it easily escape me but basically I put a tiny hole in the can and aimed it at the project (in this case a dishwasher) the foam is on the bottom of the can, propellant at the top.
I put on thin coats that expanded to about 1 inch then filled any gaps with an other can and the regular straw dispenser... be warned if you think the foam is messy already this increases the mess (and danger) levels at least as much as you might think. It works on vertical surfaces and downwards, don't know how you would spray up. Might let you get an idea of the suitability before investing in a real foam kit. At the very least its a way to get a bit of use out of half used cans that have become clogged.
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #19

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
oh but for the record I agree with those who have suggested at least starting with insulating the floor from the interior. The fiberglass is truly an elegant exterior covering
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:17 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have two of the 36" mats in my trailer. I don't even bother to remove them in the summer most years.

Foot Warmer Mat for Standing or Under Desk Use

They just fit the floor length of my 16 footer. Use about 100w per mat. They cover about 3/4 of the aisle width. They even take a little of the chill off the cabin at night. Stocking feet in the morning no matter how cold it is outside.

I also bought the Hi/Lo switches as I usually only set the mats on medium in the spring and fall.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote