Flooring - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Sandy,

An engineered bamboo flooring is available which can be floated or nailed. See this website for more info: bamboo hardwoods. We considered using bamboo for our flooring, but it's thicker than synthetic wood panels and would have decreased the inside height of our trailer by about 5/16". We also would have had to buy much more than we needed, so the cost was much higher. It also weighs more.

Like Gary, we installed a new floor in our 1984 Casita a few years ago. We chose a 1/4" thick synthetic oak floating floor and have not had any problems with movement of the snap-together panels. We followed the manufacturer's instructions and placed the flooring over a thin sheet of polyfilm padding that serves to hold the panels in place. We then installed oak moulding around the entire perimeter of the floor to help hold the panels down.

We installed a new 3/4" plywood sub-floor as the base for the oak panels. When we first obtained our trailer, the original plywood was rotted and the carpet was damaged. We removed the old carpet, tore out the entire plywood floor under the walking area, and under most of the cabinets. It was tricky, but we were able to leave the cabinets in place during this process. The floor and carpet were in good shape under the table/bed so we retained them there. We also removed most of the screws that originally went through the original plywood floor and bottom of the fiberglass to secure the trailer to the metal frame. Then we scraped, sanded, and leveled the floor down to bare fiberglass. Not much fun...

The rebuilding of the new floor took several steps. Being ever paranoid about future water damage, we sealed the bare fiberglass floor with waterproof epoxy boat paint. Next we sealed the 3/4" plywood sub-floor with three coats of waterproof spar urathane (top, bottom, and sides). We then installed several odd-shaped pieces of 3/4" plywood sub-floor to fit under the cabinets, laid the main piece of plywood for the walking surface and entry, and then filled any gaps between with plastic wood dough. Like Gary, we installed 8-10 new metal bolts through the plywood / fiberglass floor and the metal trailer frame. These bolts now hold the trailer securely to the frame. We used 1/4" stainless steel bolts with SS fender washers to distribute the pressure, and they were countersunk flush with the surface of the 3/4" plywood sub-floor. We also used SS fender washers and SS nylon lock nuts to tighten the plywood subfloor (and entire egg) to the trailer frame, and sealed everything with waterproof marine goop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	casitafloor1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	846

We love our new floating floor, and we found it both inexpensive and easy to install. We haven't had a major accumulation of water on it yet to really test it, but its been very durable so far.
Attached Thumbnails
casitafloor2.jpg  

Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sandy,
I put birch laminate flooring for Sam's in the Compact last year and have been extremely pleased with it. Looks good and cleans up very well. No visible changes with wear, temperature extremes, or big coffee spills. It was installed over the existing vinyl flooring with a layer of foam sheet underlay. It is not attached at any point except the table pole cups which have wood screws that go through the flooring. Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...0373&p=70829465

Old 01-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #31

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I will eventually be putting down similar wood flooring myself. Looks great. I wonder what design rule, if any, applies to which way you lay the flooring down in relationship to the door.

I see in both cases here both floors' end grain ends at the door threshold. Note one egg door is on the side, the other is in the back. Is that coincidence? Or is it a wearability thing? Is it better to step with the grain rather than across it when entering a room or do instinctive architectural design commandments apply?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #32

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laminate_floor_2.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	876
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate_floor_3.JPG  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #33

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
another option, unless you are absolutely insistant on real wood, is a vinyl strip stick on flooring available at Lowes. I am sorry, I can't remember the brand name! It is standard there, so you should have no trouble finding it on the vinyl flooring aisle

Here is what I did with the Burro, and it has held up VERY well, is easy to clean and still looks great! It is even textured like wood.

It comes in a variety of flavors, I happened to like the honey oak, but they have cherry and darker, as well as lighter stuff.

I have the same brand in my house, 18 inch squares that look like slate. Also have held up well after 4 years. Still looks like new!
Attached Thumbnails
bflr.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I saw Ginas' floor, pre-crash, and decided to do the same thing...quick and easy, not expensive. The brand is Novalis....from Lowes. As you can see, it does come in different colors. It has a texture to it, rather than flat like rolled flooring.I have not dropped anything sharp, nor spilled any large amounts of water, but I do know that it sweeps up very easily. I do keep throw rugs on it, just because it makes the floor a little warmer in winter, and easier to shake out the rug, then just sweep occassionally.
Attached Thumbnails
floor.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Anyone have any hints for me. My Scamp has the maple interior, beige rat fur, dark brown/tan cushions and tan curtains...I'm SICK of tan/beige/brown. I NEED some color....red, blue, green, yellow...I don't care what COLOR. I'd like to put down linoleum, but everything I've seen is white or tan or brown or gray or yuck green...nothing with a lot of COLOR. I know, I know, I could use throw rugs....anyone remember the linoleum from years ago that had all the multi-colored flecks? That type of thing is what I want, but I appear to be about 30 years out of date.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #36

West Coast USA
Registry
I have a bunch of that as the original flooring in my house... under 5 more layers of floor. I was not about to take it up. Can you say "Asbestos?"

Have you thought of using a floor paint? It comes in all colors of the rainbow, and the stuf designed for boat decks is very durable.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #37

Oregon
Quote:
Have you thought of using a floor paint? It comes in all colors of the rainbow, and the stuf designed for boat decks is very durable.
Actually I have Gina...looking at maybe something like this:
Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #38

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Anyone have any hints for me.....anyone remember the linoleum from years ago that had all the multi-colored flecks? That type of thing is what I want, but I appear to be about 30 years out of date.
Armstrong Standard EXCELON Imperial Texture

With 75 colors to choose from, I think you'll find something there. We put Jade Blue/Green in the kitchen of the house (since discontinued) and I have a box & 1/2 left over to do the Fiber Stream with.

This is [b]Home Depot's commercial grade vinyl floor tile.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #39

West Coast USA
Registry
I love how they have named most of them food names!

Marishino! I vote Marishino!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #40

Oregon
oooh, I feel a trip to Home Depot coming on...Thanks Frederick.

Wonder if I can find one: grass, dirt and peanut butter and jelly colored

I kinda like the Cantalope one Gina
Old 01-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
just ordered the pergo flooring for our amerigo today i realy like the look of the wood and also ordered a 4.2 cubic fridge in stainless steel while i was at it the wife said it is going to look better than our home kitchen,
Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #42

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I feel a trip to Home Depot coming on...
They have a display; but many colors have to be [b]ordered. They keep only the ugly ones in stock.