Flooring - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
just ordered the pergo flooring for our amerigo today i realy like the look of the wood and also ordered a 4.2 cubic fridge in stainless steel while i was at it the wife said it is going to look better than our home kitchen,
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #42

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I feel a trip to Home Depot coming on...
They have a display; but many colors have to be [b]ordered. They keep only the ugly ones in stock.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft Widebody
I've been considering re-flooring our Burro too, possible with Flor Modular Carpet Tiles...
Flor Modular Carpet Tiles
We considered this company's removable carpet squares for our house, because we breed dogs, but decided on a laminate floor and throw rugs instead. What we like about this system is the squares can be lifted up and washed in the sink. They come in some really great colors and textures, and can be mixed and matched too. Has anyone had experience in using these in their FGRV?

Steve
S Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Anyone have any hints for me. My Scamp has the maple interior, beige rat fur, dark brown/tan cushions and tan curtains...I'm SICK of tan/beige/brown. I NEED some color....red, blue, green, yellow...I don't care what COLOR. I'd like to put down linoleum, but everything I've seen is white or tan or brown or gray or yuck green...nothing with a lot of COLOR. I know, I know, I could use throw rugs....anyone remember the linoleum from years ago that had all the multi-colored flecks? That type of thing is what I want, but I appear to be about 30 years out of date.

Wouldn't it be easier to change the curtains than to the floor?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to change the curtains than to the floor?
Except I really dislike the carpet and want something easier to take care of when camping.

Probably change the curtains too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #46

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to change the curtains than to the floor? shg.gif
Once the curtains go, then you have to update the linens, co-ordinate the pillow shams, .. ugh, not to mention a WHOLE new set of dust ruffles....

Too much work!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #47

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
use a neutral colour for the dust ruffles, and you'll never change them again.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #48

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Donna,

If you decide to change your curtains and would like something more colorful, you might want to consider material from Hawaiian Fabrics. They have a huge assortment of colors and patterns that range from subtle to bold, which would transform your egg into a tropical paradise!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #49

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
My boler has an all fiberglass molded floor with a textured surface. I geuss some were made that way. I didn't want to attach any adhesive to the original floor, so I opted for a carpet cut to fit. I t fits snugly in place and is easily lifted out and shaken out and cleaned. I used a commercial grade walk-off matt material - tough as nails and really catches the sand - which we have alot of here on Cape Cod! This is apic meant to illustrate my propane detector, but you can see the carpet as well. Happy trails! Alec
Attached Thumbnails
propdet.JPG  
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #50
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quote:
Anyone have any hints for me. My Scamp has the maple interior, beige rat fur, dark brown/tan cushions and tan curtains...I'm SICK of tan/beige/brown. I NEED some color....red, blue, green, yellow...I don't care what COLOR. I'd like to put down linoleum, but everything I've seen is white or tan or brown or gray or yuck green...nothing with a lot of COLOR. I know, I know, I could use throw rugs....anyone remember the linoleum from years ago that had all the multi-colored flecks? That type of thing is what I want, but I appear to be about 30 years out of date.
Donna, you are never out of date, it's just that you are a trend setter and the rest of the world hasn't caught up with you yet!
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #51

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Wouldn't it be a nightmare to pull up the carpet and then TRY to get all the glue off. Every bit of glue would have to be removed before laying down tile. The thought of that is frightning to me.
How about just putting a new layer of carpet over the old carpet? (some color you'd be happy with)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #52

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I had wanted to replace the carpet in the Fiber Stream, but after I steam cleaned it, it didn't look too bad. That got a LOT of old sand out of it. I went to Home Depot and bought a clear vinyl carpet protective runner to lay over it, the kind that has nubs in the bottom surface to grip the carpet below. I get the look of the origonal carpet, the easy cleanup of a vinyl floor, and the time (not working on the trailer) to go camping.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a nightmare to pull up the carpet and then TRY to get all the glue off. Every bit of glue would have to be removed before laying down tile. The thought of that is frightning to me.
How about just putting a new layer of carpet over the old carpet? (some color you'd be happy with)
I've thought about all the work needed to get the glue up...sanding, scrapping (Yuck), but it's going to have to be done...nothing can be placed over the top..it would create too thick of a flooring. The front cabinet doors (under the front gaucho) are too close to the floor. I wouldn't be able to open or close the doors otherwise.

If I go to all the work, I may as well paint it..then I could get the color I WANT.

hummmmmmm
Old 01-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #54

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I did the clear plastic runner thing also, but then put a layer of carpet over that. It is working out ok, but I would love to get rid of the carpet (without the work involved)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #55

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
I plan on painting our floor when we get to that point. Then add a runner that I can shake out and hang out to dry. Also, if I get tired of the color scheme, either just paint another color, and/or buy another runner.

I have sanded the fiberglass floor in preparation for paint because it had many small blobs and uneven areas. It was pretty easy sanding it since the egg shell was not on it at the time.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #56

Trailer: 1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
On our Casita 17, I took out the old carpet, and then glued down a piece of exterior 1/4" plywood to stiffen the floor. (Had to cut the plywood into 2 pieces.) Then I put down laminate flooring and a small white border. I removed the door sill threshold plate and put down instead a piece of aluminum angle iron from Lowes. It looks great!

The only difficulty was cutting the plywood underlayment so precisely to fit the open space. It was necessary to take off lower cabinet doors to get the plywood to lay flat.

We ran the laminate flooring length-wise down the trailer, but running it cross-wise might be an easier installation.

Everything turned out nice, and I would do it again. I encountered no real problems although it was necessary to go slow and think things out before proceeding.
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #57

Trailer: 1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Forgot to say,

After gluing the plywood to the fiberglass floor underneath, we immediately placed heavy weights (bricks) all over the floor to get a good bond. This did make the floor more stiff, and provided a nice flat surface for the laminate flooring.

By going this route, the whole floor is raised about 1/2 inch. We could not use quarter-round for moulding because there was not enough space between the floor height and the bottom of the cabinet doors. Sooooo, we had to use a flat piece of mounding about a 1/4" high to hide the expansion gap.
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #58

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
After I finish remodeling the inside of the beaten Burro ( molding additional Fiberglass cabinets above the front and rear windows )

and adding an out sit=de access door to the rear storage and glassing in the top.

I plan on buying the Sweedish Pine from Home Depot ( it seems to be as hard as oak ) then milling it down to 1/2" thick and making it tounge and groove.
Applying the long way and securing through the floor into the steel cross members. Plugging the holes with Walnut and lacqueering it.

Should look good with the doors I made last year.
the only problem I see using Sweedish Pine is I might hear ABBA singing in the middle of the night and have to look for a 12V mirror ball.

hopefully all done with the inside by our Lanesburro event
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #59

Quote:
<snip>
the only problem I see using Sweedish Pine is I might hear ABBA singing in the middle of the night and have to look for a 12V mirror ball.
Jim I have a Lava Lamp you can borrow anytime you get to Oregon

The flooring sounds really nice...can't wait to see the pics of the finished product
Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #60

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Jim........

You are adding new, home fabricated fiberglass cabinets over the front and rear windows? Wow, I got to see that! Please post pictures soon as you can, with info on how it was done.

RE Sweedish pine: You're sure doing a lot, there. Also look forward to seeing your finished floor. You're running it lengthwise because it means less cross-cutting?
Also, I am curious...when you say mill it down to 1/2 inch I take it you plan to run full thickness boards through your planer. Why do that if you can get thinner, finished, tongue and groove planks ready to install?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote