Flooring choices - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Flooring choices

I would love to hear what you modifiers have used for flooring and your experiences. I'm considering Pergo or something similar, but also something fun made from linoleum squares. My last choice would be vinyl, but if it is the best choice, I'll use that.

My project is an '80 Scamp 13' which I love.

Cathy
CBinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Last summer, I installed engineered cork flooring in my 19' Scamp. It was left over from my wood shop project, so I had already made the investment. I installed the flooring over the original carpet to provide some sound deadening, and a bit of additional insulation. The jury is still out on how it will wear in Scamp service. After six years in a glucose powered wood shop, I am beginning to see signs of wear. For long term durability, there may be much better or more cost effective floor coverings.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinID View Post
I would love to hear what you modifiers have used for flooring and your experiences. I'm considering Pergo or something similar, but also something fun made from linoleum squares. My last choice would be vinyl, but if it is the best choice, I'll use that.

My project is an '80 Scamp 13' which I love.

Cathy
My first choice for wear,durability, ease of installation would be allure plank strip flooring , it's not the least expensive but there's not much sq feet to cover
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One of the disadvantages to most (but not all) laminate floors it that they are very allergic to water. If each and every spill isn't cleaned up promptly it can lead to major floor damage. Some sealers seem to help, but it's always a concern. There are now some laminate floorings that are designed for kitchens and bath rooms, and that's what I would opt to use in the future.

All that said, I have put down laminate floors in my last 5 FGRS's

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Given the susceptibility to water damage of the factory OSB / particle board subfloors of most FGRVs, I have three words of advice:
vinyl,
vinyl,
vinyl.

Pick up a nice , high quality vinyl remnant from a flooring shop, cut it to shape - make a template out of paper or cardboard, - lay it down and voila, you have a great moisture barrier that's easy to clean and protects that water sensitive subfloor.

I gave our sub floor a heavy coat of oil based paint to seal it and then laid a thick, self padded vinyl remnant over it. We've been pleased with the results. The only area I glued down was at the entrance. We do keep a small throw rug on the floor, especially in cold weather. The nice part is that when the rug gets really soiled, we just replace it with a new one.

I do like the Pergo and we would have gone with a sheet of it if we could have found a remnant.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0653.jpg  
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Home Depot has some vinyl planking that looks like wood and can be cut with a razor knife. I'm thinking about putting some in my bedroom.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote