Foam cushion question - where to source? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: In the market
Massachusetts
Foam cushion question - where to source?

I discovered this weekend that 5" foam from JoAnn Fabric is "hecking expensive" as my kid said. Like, over $600 to redo all the Scamp cushions. Before you buy any fabric.

I've seen some people cut up a 6" mattress, my concern is that will be too tall for sitting comfortably at the table. If you've done that how did it work out for you?

Where can I get some foam for cushions that isn't hecking expensive? Thanks.
MarkLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Google foam outlet in your area. They are all over the place. I dropped about $200 on foam total, all cut to size, for my Trillium.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I've heard good things about this place. Haven't used myself yet. https://www.foambymail.com/
Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
We bought an extra covered cushion to match the others in our Casita from the company that makes them for Casita. I would check with Scamp and find out where they get theirs. Might be worth the look see.
Good quality foam ain't cheap!

Mark
Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
This place also has foam. They have videos linked from YouTube explaining different options on various topics.

https://www.sailrite.com/
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin
Montana
Foam sources

Check with local mattress manufacturing businesses, those using foam. You can find regular foam and memory foam with varying densities. Many will give away pieces of odd sizes. Then use an electric carving knife to cut. You can use layers within a single cushion to add thickness but be careful when butting pieces together. Chair cushions can be carved with the electric knife, but "shaped" chairs often use string to impart cleats or crevices, a common upholstery technique. Seek out a place the offers auto or furniture fabrics for the outer covering.
lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLat View Post
I discovered this weekend that 5" foam from JoAnn Fabric is "hecking expensive" as my kid said. Like, over $600 to redo all the Scamp cushions. Before you buy any fabric.

I've seen some people cut up a 6" mattress, my concern is that will be too tall for sitting comfortably at the table. If you've done that how did it work out for you?

Hi: MarkLat... Have you tried Scamp parts dept. I bought a complete set of covers as no foam shipped cross border. My source here said don't get new foams as they are made of water based latex... not oil. I washed my foams in the bathtub with low sudsing dishwasher detergent and left them in the sun to dry.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1876.jpg   doggy aproved.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

JoAnn does not have a good enough quality foam that will last over years of regular use. You can do much better for less money buying it elsewhere. Go to an upholstery shop where they do custom work or purchase it online.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We bought a king-sized mattress at IKEA in the AS IS department. We were able to choose our thickness and I cut carefully enough to even save the cover the mattress came in and used it for a base cover on the cushions. I did have to add a little white fabric along the edges here and there...stitched on by hand.

cost: $119 It'll depend on what you choose. At any given time, they may have a nice variety to choose from--or come back in a week and check again. You can choose your "hardness," too.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #10

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
Quote:

I have purchased foam from the Foam Factory, they have all types, can cut and cover. For my Scamp I bought a gel foam topper and cut with an electric carving knife. https://www.thefoamfactory.com/
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
we bought the common folding chair bed available in single and double bed size for reasonable prices. One was free. Then had the cover to redo so no additional fabric cost.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #12

Name: Lois
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Dunno if this will help since you're in Massachusetts, but https://www.thefoamfactory.com/
here in Michigan has been very reasonable.

Suggestions to try searching locally are also apt to be worthwhile.
Lois-sez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

Massachusetts
I think I will order from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdoug View Post
I have purchased foam from the Foam Factory, they have all types, can cut and cover. For my Scamp I bought a gel foam topper and cut with an electric carving knife. https://www.thefoamfactory.com/
I think I will order from them. I have been looking at their site and they have a lot of options, plus free shipping and the pricing looks good. I’m thinking 5 inch foam.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Foam cushion question - where to source?

What model Scamp do you have? If it includes the front bunk, changing the thickness will affect headroom between the bunks and how the bunk stows. OEM is 4” on the bench base and 3” on the top bunk/backrest.

Other than the front bunk, 5” foam should work. Remember you’ll be sitting an inch higher and you’ll have an inch less depth when sitting at the dinette. In bed mode it won’t matter. Clearance with the thermostat could be a minor issue.

Selecting the ideal foam grade is tricky. Firmest is better for sitting, but a medium-firm better for sleeping. Foam does tend to soften a bit with time and use.

One person replaced the OEM foam with a 2-layer sandwich: 3-4” of very firm foam with a 1” top layer of softer foam.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

Massachusetts
Thank you that is good information. I have a scamp 13 that we have totally gutted. It’s basically going to be a fiberglass tent. I don’t need to worry about interference with the thermostat, and I took the bunk out and I’m not putting it back in.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #16

Name: ken
Trailer: in the market
New York
Quote:

Buyfoam.com for foam
Fabric.com and Sailrite.com for fabric
Doing all me cushions over now.
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote