Foam on the Cheap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yesterday while wandering around Wally World, I ran across a hybrid memory foam topper for 30 bones.

It's only an inch thick, and is somehow a mixture of the regular pointy foam and memory foam. No doubt, this is how they keep the cost down.

I tossed it onto my bed at home, and last nite was the best nites sleep I have gotten in ages!

For 30 bucks, it might be a good compromise for the trailer.

Look back by the pillows and bedding.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Yeah, I keep buying things like that and put one on top of the other. Feel like princess and the pea.

nancy, nor mn
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
I bought one of the memory foam toppers last year and it made such a difference to my sleep we put them on the other beds in the house. Now even our guests can sleep in comfort. The downside is that now our guests don't want to leave. I will definitely put one in the egg when I find it.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yesterday while wandering around Wally World, I ran across a hybrid memory foam topper for 30 bones.
I don't have any bones to spare, could you send me some.

Going to my room now. Fiberglass room that is. Heading to the Oregon Coast for a wood carving show.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Another option...
<blockquote> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PA...mp;PAGE_ID=2118 </blockquote>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
We bought a 3" memory foam mattress topper at Sam's Club about 10 months ago. I believe we payed about $89. Like many others, buying one is only the beginning. Now we will have to purchase one for the bed in the house.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #7

Registry
Kurt..

I just lobbed a snowball your way!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
I collect memory foams like some of you guys collect "eggs." Can't have just one! All beds including camper have it! I used to get up every stinkin' morning with an achy back - ohhh nooo, not anymore - not with my foam.

Its the only thing I'm taking with me when I go to heaven! Hubby's taking his money (what money?). Me? I'm taking my foam!

Still crazy after all these years....

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Quote:
Kurt..

I just lobbed a snowball your way!
Couldn't return the favor, snow too cold to pack. Kind of like trying to make a snowball out of granulated sugar.
Good to hear from you, Heidi had her baby girl New Year's morn, in case you missed previous mention.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #10

Registry
congrats Grandpa! and Grandma Too!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
ok guys, I was searching online last night and ran across a site that had LOTS of information on their memory foam mattress. I can be pretty niave so some people tell me, so what do you all think of this site??. HEALTHY FOUNDATIONS...............

http://www.healthyfoundations.com/toppers.html

Where did you all buy from?,
would you buy there again?,
and what inch size would you want for a topper if you were buying again?.
would you buy 2 of the 1" inch toppers and place them on top of each other , or would you want a 2" topper instead?.
The site I was looking at was suggesting a 2" without the cover. They felt that the mattress pad cover for the regualar mattress would fit over the two. They also felt the cover just for the memory foam would slide over the regualr mattress and not keep it in place as well. I will look up the site and attach it to this message.
also, has anyone bought from overstock.com and if so were you happy with their product?

I am looking for one for the camper and one for the home.
Gina, if you had to do it over, would you buy a 2" wally world one if you had the choice?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
ok guys, I was searching online last night and ran across a site that had LOTS of information on their memory foam mattress. I can be pretty niave so some people tell me, so what do you all think.
Where did you all buy from?,
would you buy there again?,
and what inch size would you want for a topper if you were buying again?.
would you buy 2 of the 1" inch toppers and place them on top of each other , or would you want a 2" topper instead?.
The site I was looking at was suggesting a 2" without the cover. They felt that the mattress pad cover for the regualar mattress would fit over the two. They also felt the cover just for the memory foam would slide over the regualr mattress and not keep it in place as well. I will look up the site and attach it to this message.
also, has anyone bought from overstock.com and if so were you happy with their product?

I am looking for one for the camper and one for the home.
Gina, if you had to do it over, would you buy a 2" wally world one if you had the choice?
I have not personally slept on memory foam, but in the last week I have been to two foam mattress specialty stores in town (Foam King and Foamtasic) and both of them said that anything less than 3" of memory foam is a waste of money. We did however try a convoluted foam topper on top of a 4" foam bed, and that topper alone made a huge difference as far as comfort, it sold for around C$100 for a full sizebed.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #13

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
I have not personally slept on memory foam, but in the last week I have been to two foam mattress specialty stores in town (Foam King and Foamtasic) and both of them said that anything less than 3" of memory foam is a waste of money.
I may have wasted money, according to the salespeople, but the 2 inches of memory foam we have makes a tremendous difference in our comfort and sleep. Twenty years ago I had disc surgery and getting a comfortable night's sleep was impossible...until I bought the memory foam 3 years ago. If I had 3 inches of foam beneath me I would never want to get out of bed.

What I want to know: Is there any real differences between the competing brands or is there but one factory that turns these out by the millions of square yeards each year? We bought our's (more than one) at Costco and Sam's.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
ok guys, I was searching online last night and ran across a site that had LOTS of information on their memory foam mattress. I can be pretty niave so some people tell me, so what do you all think of this site??. http://www.healthyfoundations.com/toppers.html
I completely agree with this comment I found on the healthyfoundations website:

... if your bed is too soft, then a memory foam topper will only make the bed even softer and more uncomfortable. Unfortunately there really is no remedy that we know of for an overly soft or unsupportive bed. If this is your problem, you don't need a mattress topper, you need a new bed.

We tried a 1-1/2" memory foam topper on our 20 year old Casita cushions which were already too soft, and it was definitely no help. However, the same topper on our home's sleeper sofa (that had become very uncomfortable due to support wires that you could feel through the bed's padding) turned it into a comfortable mattress again. Even just 1-1/2 " of memory foam can create a huge improvement in comfort as long as you have firm cushions to begin with.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
We tried a 1-1/2" memory foam topper on our 20 year old Casita cushions which were already too soft, and it was definitely no help. However, the same topper on our home's sleeper sofa (that had become very uncomfortable due to support wires that you could feel through the bed's padding) turned it into a comfortable mattress again. Even just 1-1/2 " of memory foam can create a huge improvement in comfort as long as you have firm cushions to begin with.
I'm thinking that Jeanne has the right idea here. The salepeople touting the need for 3" of memory foam can justify charging more money when you get 3" instead of 1" or 2".

I sleep just fine on the very firm foam cushions that came with our Scamp, but Peter doesn't. We've already started looking at different options for putting a memory foam topper or even a custom foam mattress into our Scamp.

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
At home I use a 3" memory foam that is glued to a 5" high density poly foam and the only problem that I find with it is that if you are a person that tends to turn in your sleep, your body will keep wanting to roll back into the hole in the memory foam unless you have a queen bed and can get away from the previous indentation.....the indentation takes a bit of time to level out.....takes getting used to.....mine is an Obusforme and up in the North country, the price was 425 skins, on sale! ....with tax included......ouch....Bones up here aren`t worth much, not like skins, LOL.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I sleep on just the memory foam...no other cushions. Made a cover out of a sheet and cut it to the shape of the Scamp walls using an electric knife. It came in a box about 2 feet square and it took about 72 hours for it to completely decompress. When I purchased, it was on sale for $129 and cost $1 to ship! Not bad for a CalKing mattress

Serta Overstock Memory Foam
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: My problem is my memory is not what it used to be I can't seem to remember when to go to bed!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Yep, those salespeople were just doing their job--selling.
However, several years ago we looked into buying a memory foam mattress ($1000 or so) and discovered that the memory foam (2" thick) actually covers only a small area about 8 square feet where your shoulder to hip would be if you stayed in one spot all night--like that's going to happen. I bought a queensize 2" memory foam pad for about $90 instead--duh! Sleeps great! No more sore shoulders, hips, and backbone.
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler Honey
In looking for foam last summer I discovered the price had risen dramatically, due to some problem with a factory in New Orleans. The overstock 4" foam price is really good, Donna. I sleep at home on a platform bed with 5" of latex foam and a 2" convoluted memory foam topper. It has eliminated shoulder, hip ,and back pain. I don't remember the name of the company I bought it from, but when I researched them, they all seemed pretty much the same.
This is the most comfortable sleep Ive had in the winter. I did find a bit of a problem with the foam keeping the depression, but if I just get up and go to the bathroom, it often bounces back before I return. In the summer however, I did find that the memory foam is warm and can be hot. I have since bought a coolmax mattress cover and it seems to help the comfort level. This is important for some of us ladies with "power surges."
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote