Folding Solar Panel / Controller.... Good Deal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Folding Solar Panel / Controller.... Good Deal?

Hello,

Here is a decent deal on a 160W folding solar panel and
controller? $210 =+ $40 shipping to AZ. Weighs 40 lbs
so it might be too heavy for some people.

https://www.solarblvd.com/products/s...solar-panel-2/

I use a Cynergy 160W solid panel with great results.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I have this unit in the 120 volt model. It is heavy but the foldable design will help it fit into smaller spaces. I removed the controller and replaced it with a more roboust model. Remember that controller has to be within a meter of the battery. These guys insist on putting the controller on the panel, which is the opposite location. I replaced the 14 gauge wire from panel to battery with fifty feet of 10 gauge speaker wire. Also replaced the legs with a set made from PVC to reduce weight and obtain the correct angle for my location in the country. So when all was said and done I had a pretty good panel that folded and had a handle but not much else.

Knowing what you are getting, this is a pretty robust panel at 160W and I would purchase this again knowing all I am getting is the panel. The weight and size is a definite drawback but the optional thin and rollable panels are just coming down in price.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
... Remember that controller has to be within a meter of the battery. These guys insist on putting the controller on the panel, which is the opposite location.....
Good point that it is recommended that the controller be as close to the battery as feasible, and having it on the portable panel violates that, but there is no actual requirement that it be a meter or less.

Of course wire length, wire gauge, wire type, wire location, wire construction, wire insulation, and even the ambient air temperature all figure into the equation (although the first two have by far the largest effect). And that goes for all the runs - battery to controller, controller to panels, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Remember that controller has to be within a meter of the battery.
Well, sort of. My brother and I have the same panel, he uses it with the attached controller while I have bypassed it and used the one mounted in my Escape.

He used it for a 6 week trip to Glacier NP, had no issues using the little controller on the panel, it kept his batteries charged with the panel about 30' away on 10G hooked right to the batteries, granted they use very little electric. Not optimal, but it does work.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

Arizona
Controller Location....

Hello,

I agree that the controller should be connected close to
the battery if possible. If not too close one should use
heavy wire between the controller and the battery.

In my setup I use a BlueSky Solar 2000e MPPT controller
I was lucky enough to find on Ebay for only $95 used, like
new. It does a wonderful job keeping the Trojan SCS225
130A battery topped off every day with the output of the
160W Cynergy solar panel. The battery is 8 years old and
still doing its job.

I use a solid panel but a folding one would be easier to
handle and to store for transport.

Being a retired ET I truly enjoy these discussions.

Larry H
Old 03-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I have a very similar panel in a 90W variety. It works great for me. I hadn't considered the proximity of the controller to the battery...but had wondered about the gauge of the wire. I haven't been brave enough to open things up and put in larger gauge wire.

With my very low electrical use, it has worked just fine for me, though I've never seen the display on the controller switch from "charging" to "charged".

But the briefcase style panels work very well for the right type of person. They're heavy and bulky, but not that heavy or that bulky. It has saved me the trouble, so far, of mounting something on my roof, and has the benefit of being able to be aimed any direction at about any angle.

160W would be great for me. It'd have my battery charged in no time.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C Hanson View Post
Hello,

Here is a decent deal on a 160W folding solar panel and
controller? $210 =+ $40 shipping to AZ. Weighs 40 lbs
so it might be too heavy for some people.

I use a Cynergy 160W solid panel with great results.

Larry H
:sounds like a good deal but make sure at the shipping price they are charging you that they are responsible for any damage to the solar panel?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I don't believe this panel comes with a controller, at least it isn't shown on the image of the back of the panels.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I agree Jon, there was not one shown, but in the description they mention it is included.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
I agree Jon, there was not one shown, but in the description they mention it is included.
Yea, I missed that. It does look like a good deal. I paid $235.00 for an equivalent panel from them (although no LCD display on the controller) in 2014. It did include a soft carrying case (whose zipper broke after 3-4 uses). No shipping, but I had to add 8% California sales tax when I picked it up.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I don't believe this panel comes with a controller, at least it isn't shown on the image of the back of the panels.
:Jon I had a 100W solar Panel in Canada and the charge controller was glued to the back of the panel. I paid $300.00 for 100W folding, charge controller, 60' of cable about 4 years ago and the guy who bought it from me paid me same for it. I have heard that the solar panels that bend to the form of the roof (flat panels) are having problems of some sort.
For me to buy 160W with Aluminum Frame, 30' of wire, and a 12A Charge controller will be around $300.00 all in. I will not buy my Charge Controller from the location of the Panel I would go to Harbour Freight for it when they are having a sale on them. Up here Canuck Tire is always having sale on 100-W inverters (non Pure Serge) which work just fine & 12A Charge controllers but when all added up with the Inverter I would be looking at $425.00. Remember we got a lousy dollar right now.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #12

Arizona
Another Bargain? 160W Folding Solar Panel...

Hello,

Here is another 160W folding panel for a good price?

Brand New Solar Cynergy Foldable 160 W Watt 12V Polycrystalline PV Solar Panels

Here comes the sun...

Larry H
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Multiple sellers of these panels on ebay, some are cheaper than the one you linked to above. Checked the manufacturer's web site, I couldn't find this model. I wonder if it is a close out? Still an intriguing idea for sure!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #14

Arizona
Hi Bill,

Here is a distributor link:

On Ebay right now for $189

New Portable Solar Cynergy Foldable 160 Watt 12V Polycrystalline PV Solar Panels

Larry H

Tags
solar, solar panel