Forklift LP Tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
It is very important to insure that the tank is sitting in the correct position if you rotate it in it's bracket you could get liquid ,the forklifts have bracket that holds them correctly. You can only use it for your l.p. system if it has a vapour outlet, you can't use liquid l.p. Your regulator can regulate vapour only ' if liquid gets in the line it will pass through and vapourize ,the l.p.pressure will go well past the max 14'' of w/c which is 1/2 lb . By the way all gas valves in R.V 's are rated for 1/2 lb

Hope this helps
This is totally true! The whole problem I have is, how to accommodate all three sizes of tank? If you open the pdf in the first post, of this thread. You will see the procedure for changing a tank. There is a pin at the valve end that keeps the tank oriented correctly. There is also a central band around the middle of the tank. The band would be a fixed object, and the pin would need to be located in three different places. Hopefully they sell a bracket that adapts. There is also a small difference in the diameters of the steel and aluminum tanks. A rubber liner on the bracket would make up the difference, I think.

If there is any regulatory hurtle I expect to encounter it is with bracket. I would guess that it is considered an integral part of the system. As such, there will be rules.

I will be researching further.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
They do make RV propane tanks that are oriented horizontally. I just saw one mounted on a 13' Scamp at the Lake Casitas Rally in October. The RV ones are designed to be mounted permanently to the RV and are not removed for filling. Their mounting brackets are part of the tank.

The only difference I see is that forklift tanks are separate from their mounting brackets, and are removable.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
On the Lite Cylinder website they list the forklift bottles as "for liquid delivery only". That would suggest that the tanks are designed to deliver liquid fuel, not gas. They also make horizontal tanks for RVs. Those could be mounted in a cradle and removed.

Here is a good deal on cradle clamps:

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Crawle...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I'm replacing my dual steel tanks with a single 25lb Lite Cylinder. I'm building a vertical clamp rack to hold it using the clamps above.

David
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
On the Lite Cylinder website they list the forklift bottles as "for liquid delivery only". That would suggest that the tanks are designed to deliver liquid fuel, not gas. They also make horizontal tanks for RVs. Those could be mounted in a cradle and removed.

Here is a good deal on cradle clamps:

Amazon.com: Propane Rock Crawler Tank Bracket Forklift Heavy Duty: Home Improvement

I'm replacing my dual steel tanks with a single 25lb Lite Cylinder. I'm building a vertical clamp rack to hold it using the clamps above.

David
I have recently discussed this topic with my brother. It is his opinion that the increased surface area of boiling fluid makes a horizontal tank a better cold temperature producer of vapor, especially when it is half full. This is important to him in his 5th wheel toy hauler when it is near -40. Makes sense to me.

Since the tanks that Manchester sell actually fill through the vapor port, I assume that there is some ease of filling benefit to having one.

I have been struggling to find a use for the liquid port. I may be reading it wrong, but I think they fill the 1# bottles off of it.
Manchester Tank: 1# Refillable Cylinders

I really don't work for Manchester! But they do make propane cool/green. A propane weed wacker?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I saw a propane rail car on fire once. You could see it two miles away. It was flaming right out of the top. The firemen wisely chose to let it burn itself out. I think there is some cooling due to the expansion from liquid to gas which offsets the heat generated. I watched for a long time and the flames was constant so i there was no ablation at the opening.

I don't think these things turn into rocketsz
Old 12-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Be careful of maximum carrying regulations if you plan to take ferries.

Living in BC, a month on Vancouver Island is on the agenda. Most ferries have restrictions on the amount of propane you can bring. BC ferries is two 35# tanks per RV. (They don't specifiy if they let you have on 70#)

Transportation Canada also has regulations of a maximum of 500kg (2200#) for an open vehicle and a max of five 30kg (66#) tanks in an enclosed vehicle. I think you can squeek under those numbers

This thread is giving me great ideas…my poor wallet.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #21

Alberta
Registry
The Anatomy of Proposed Forklift Tank

There are two tubes in this tank. The dip tube for liquid, and with much less fanfare in the upper left end of the tank is the vapor tube. This design will work either horizontal, or vertical. The float for the gauge can be seen as well.

My ultra light Bar-BQ uses a 1# bottle, so does the lantern. I think I will look at the 1# refilling system for the forklift tank. I know, I could use a tree and a hose, but how cool is that?

I think I will order my tank this Saturday. I hope they have info on the brackets. The guy I talked to on the phone was not very knowledgeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Forklift Tank Cut-away.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
So at lunch, I went and paid for the tank and brackets. The price was a bit higher then expected. The tank was $240 plus $46 for a valve and male connector so I can actually draw vapour. I think I am losing the quick fill valve. I suppose I could have had it installed on the liquid port, but then I could not fill 1# bottles, which I probably will never do. I will just keep the quick fill fitting and keep my options open.

I also purchased the mounting brackets. $120 for both, and they bolt on, so I will have threaded nuts welded on my frame in positions to fit both sizes of tank.

Total: $426 including tax . Boy is my brother going to laugh .
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #23

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have a fiberglass LP tank and they are larger in diameter than a steel tank due to the plastic housing, they also do not have a notched bottom, the bottom is flat and will not lock onto bases made for metal tanks, just an FYI. They are LIGHT
Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Forklift tanks deliver Propane in the Liquid state to the fuel injection system on the engine. You would need a very specialized regulator system to vaporize the liquid propane leaving the tank. What you need is an ASME horizontal tank. These dispense the vapor only and that is what you need for an RV and most other things. The reason you DOT says you cannot transport a propane tank in the horizontal position is because the liquid gas can interfere with the safety release valve that is on the top of the tank. ASME tanks are the ones that are designed to be used and mounted horizontal. Having propane int he liquid state delivered to your appliances in your trailer is EXTREMELY dangerous. The when the liquid hits the flame jet it will only ignite once it has fully vaporized and mixed with oxygen. As you can imagine liquid is far more dense than gas and you will have exponentially more fuel being delivered than the flame port is designed for. Not withstanding the fact that the extreme low temperatures caused by the gass-off will further damage the equipment, you will end up with an uncontrollable fireball.

I believe you can buy polished stainless ASME tanks in the 35-50# range that are designed, and certified for RV use.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #25

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
DON'T DO IT, I just had a 30#er filled at Ferrell gas and was talking to the guy and was told that if you were to use a forklift tank on something other than a engine you will probably kill yourself, It's the liquid vs's gas thing, I'm just telling you that the guy said you could be burnt alive. Really you should call your local propane dealer and ask them about this plan and if they tell you not to do then don't do it.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
DON'T DO IT, I just had a 30#er filled at Ferrell gas and was talking to the guy and was told that if you were to use a forklift tank on something other than a engine you will probably kill yourself, It's the liquid vs's gas thing, I'm just telling you that the guy said you could be burnt alive. Really you should call your local propane dealer and ask them about this plan and if they tell you not to do then don't do it.
I have discussed this with the folks at Temp Heat, (Tempheat). They had to change the valve on the vapor port from a quick fill port, to a valve that I could draw from. I am not using the liquid port for anything yet. I will use it for either a quick fill, or for filling refillable 1 lb bottles.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have discussed this with the folks at Temp Heat, (Tempheat). They had to change the valve on the vapor port from a quick fill port, to a valve that I could draw from. I am not using the liquid port for anything yet. I will use it for either a quick fill, or for filling refillable 1 lb bottles.
Good luck, and I hope nobody gets hurt.