frame reinforcement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
frame reinforcement

looking at beefing up the frame on my SurfSide TM-14. there's way too much flex in it at the moment.
rather than reinvent something, I figured I'd ask here first.

has anyone done this before.... and did you take pictures?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
looking at beefing up the frame on my SurfSide TM-14. there's way too much flex in it at the moment.

We sistered square tubing onto our Fiber Stream Frame. No pictures.

I know Frederick Simson has pictures of his frame strengthening, and possible Victor Benz. Both are Fiber Streams.

Hopefullly a member will have info that is SurfSide specific.

Luck,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:

Back in the early 70's I had a Compact Jr. frame break where the "V" changes to a "H" near Del Rio, TX.

Found a welding shop in town. The fellow didn't speak English, but we had no problem. I held vice grips on bolts inside and he removed nuts on the bottom, lifted the body off the frame with a large fork-lift and straps. By noon the frame was beefed up nicely, rust cleaned off, a fresh coat of paint and the body reattached with new fasteners. Seems like the price was under $40, but that might have been in '75 and we were buying gas for around 35 cents/gal. So in today's $, that might work out to about $400 -- still a bargain!

If you are seeing much flex, I would expect if you inspect the frame, you will find cracks in high stress areas. Better, by far, to fix it now than on the road.

Also, watch out for weight distributing hitches that are rated far above your trailer weight. The bars that come with these are often too stiff and can cause excessive frame stress. Sometimes you can purchase lighter bars, or even custom build something more in keeping with a lightweight trailer.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I did the same thing Tom did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
We sistered square tubing onto our Fiber Stream Frame. No pictures.

I know Frederick Simson has pictures of his frame strengthening, and possible Victor Benz. Both are Fiber Streams.
I also added square tubing to my frame, like Tom did.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0310.jpg   100_0313half.jpg  

Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have a friend that welds.... and welds really well. the plan is to run a 3" sq heavy tube right up the center and notch the x-members in the existing frame. also adding new x-members to tie in the side frames. it'll be heavier but much safer. it's the only thing about the trailer than falls short of perfect. so it deserves the royal treatment.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
I have a friend that welds.... and welds really well. the plan is to run a 3" sq heavy tube right up the center and notch the x-members in the existing frame. also adding new x-members to tie in the side frames. it'll be heavier but much safer. it's the only thing about the trailer than falls short of perfect. so it deserves the royal treatment.
Rather than square tubing, (which as you said is heavy...) ask your friend about "trussing" it. Ends up being a lot lighter and prob almost as strong.
Larry

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a Fiber Stream and did not realize the frame was flexing that much until I found the posts from Frederick. I thought it was the floor that was responsible for the ridge across the floor.

Tom, did you do basically the same 2x2 box addition that Frederick did? I have not looked into this yet but I am wondering what kind of cost I am looking at to do this?

Frederick, you mentioned painting your frame with some kind of rust preventative paint. Did you clean the frame first and if you did how did you do it? I can see myself under the trailer with a brush painting the frame but not sanding the whole thing first. Is there another way to clean it or is there a product that you can just paint over?

Thanks,
Steve
slbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbran View Post
Frederick, you mentioned painting your frame with some kind of rust preventative paint. Did you clean the frame first and if you did how did you do it? I can see myself under the trailer with a brush painting the frame but not sanding the whole thing first. Is there another way to clean it or is there a product that you can just paint over?

Thanks,
Steve
Need to be road-rash free and degreased. Surface rust is actually a good thing, because this stuff bonds to it. Scrape the flakey stuff off or wire brush. It does take time to do something properly, but this is a one-and-done solution! POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the link. Have you used this stuff or seen it on another trailer? I would want to do any re-enforcement before applying this type of product.

Steve
Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #10

This is the only rust prevention product my hot rod gang will use. They spend thousands of dollars on their classic rides and wouldn't use a product they don't believe in. I have a gallon of the stuff sitting in a closet waiting for me to use it on the Scamp.... and my "mysterous truck," if/when I ever get it back from the body shop.

Larry has used it quite a bit: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post187521
Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
[QUOTE=Donna D.;243658] and my "mysterous truck," if/when I ever get it back from the body shop.

Oh Donna! You know that we love pictures.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #12

As it rolled into the body shop:
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldPaint.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	34742

What it looks like now:

Name:	NoPaint.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	34743

If I could just win the lottery I could get it completed!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
That POR 15 is great stuff for rust prevention.....I've done a few cars with it.
Donna, that for panel has egg tow written all over it!..cool
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #14

If you look closely at the inside picture of my panel truck there is some rust, the entire interior (sans dash and window door sills) will be painted with POR15. The plan is to grind off the primer and allow surface rust to form. POR15 works BETTER on rust than shiny bare metal. The body guy says he won't use anything but POR15 on frames and interior parts. If a customer wants something else used, he politely suggests they go to a different body shop. POR15 can be top coated, but he doesn't use it on the exterior body pieces.

1953-1956 Ford F-100 people can be as whacky as egg people when it comes to mods. Henry's Half-Tons Ltd.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:

On my Burro 13 I added 8 foot pieces of 11 gage steel along the outside of the 2x4 frame sections, effectively doubling the wall thickness, and added angle iron along the sides at the front. I also added a lot of angle iron supports for the floor. You can see pictures at the link below.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-43697-2.html

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbran View Post
Frederick, you mentioned painting your frame with some kind of rust preventative paint. (I)s there a product that you can just paint over?
Rust Destroyer

Name:	Trailer Hitch.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	34797
This is the only paint on my frame. I like the RED color.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #17

With tax season over I can start doing a few things again.

Frederick, I like your pictures of the frame mod but what did you do on the drivers side where the waste dump is located? I looked at mine and I can not add a 2x2 in box unless I change or move the waste outlet. My frame looks like it has drooped at both the front and rear of the trailer. I don't think it is as much as yours was but it is noticeable.

Thanks,
Steve