Free-standing Shower in 13" Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Free-standing Shower in 13" Scamp

While working out the plans for the larger closet (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...set-80503.html), it occurred to me that a better shower system could be developed than the one installed when making the front dinette modification, (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html). It worked fine, but it was just a bit clunky in setting up and taking down.

The space between the front of the lower part of the closet and the wheel well is only about 1.5 inches wide, not useful for much. However after adding another 4.5 inches to it from modifying the closet, there is now at least 6 inches of width, something worth playing with. Pics below.

I cut an opening in the lower part of the cabinet to accommodate the shower pan from the previous installation, ran the drain hose from it to the filter, and then to the pump that sends it to the gray water tank. I just rotate the clips that hold it in place and flip it down to use.

On the ceiling is a flexible shower curtain track so the curtain can wrap around and overlap to keep any water from spilling out. Large magnets in the corner and sides of the pan keep the curtain inside the pan. Smaller magnets at the end of the curtain allow it to be closed easily by just letting them snap together.

I ordered a 108”, special sized shower curtain liner to use for the curtain. It is made of a much more shear fabric that allows it to be folded and stored at the left side of the closet using little space. It is secured with nylon straps with Velcro at the other ends.

The shower pump and solar heated water bag are relocated to the rear of the camper and the hose feeds to the pump and up the back of the closet. It then extends out the upper front cabinet door, and fastens to the mounting bracket. The control switches for the shower pump and the drain pump are located to the right of the shower head.

It is also larger than the shower installed in the front of a stock Scamp. It is 20” x 20” at the base, and has 30” x 30” space at the arse (some Canuk ligo there) and elbow level.

With the shower relocated, I converted the previous shower pan area to storage space, and installed an upper front storage shelf from Scamp and securing by glassing in tabs. The result is I have more than enough space to store stuff now.

I have used the shower on numerous times on both short and long trips and have no issues with it at all. It performs very well and is easy and quick to set up and take down. Works for me!

That pretty much completes all the interior modifications I have planned to do. That means since I am done cutting, drilling, glassing, dragging stuff across the floor and spilling paint, etc on it, I can now safely replace the flooring one of these days, and paint the exterior. Oh joy!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower curtain stored.jpg   Shower Pan.jpg  

Shower curtain rail with new Exit vent.jpg   Shower Curtain set up.jpg  

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Hi Jim,

I am very interested in the many mods you have made to your 13. Unfortunately, you have not put them in a photo album yet. Do you have all the photos somewhere? I would gladly accept an email that included them (an any dimensional and supplier data you might have).

I am very intrigued with these mods.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #3

Colorado
Registry
New Storage Space after Relocating Shower

This is what the space previously used for the shower pan looks like as additional storage space now, as well as with the new Scamp upper storage shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 029.jpg   Scamp 027.jpg  

Scamp 014.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
What year is your Scamp? I am wondering if there are any issues in installing the upper cabinets in an '81.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Jim I am amazed with your ingenuity on this mod! Very Impressive. I like how it is right under your vent to let the steam out. You do have a hot water heater for your shower right?

BTW I found something last night that I thought might interest you with regard to your toilet vent mod but I will post that on that thread. I think you will like the idea.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Colorado
Registry
Kay,

WHATTTT, have I posted all my mod pics??? You are really pushing it aren't you. You do realize that it took me almost a year just to post these, and then that was only after John had a question about one of them.

Really, I will post them in albums in my profile area soon. I will include others that weren't posted just so you can see more of what went on with the project.

My Scamp is an "83 so you should have no difficulty fitting in a new overhead cabinet as I did. I just had to make notches in the bottom edge to clear the three curtain rod holders attached to the body. I also painted all of the fiberglass furniture with Rustoleum Appliance paint in a Biscuit color from Lowes. Be careful, the same paint can at Home Depot is slightly darker. You can see the difference between my furnace grill and the cabinet paint next to it. The paint knocks down the bright white on the new fiberglass, and gave the old fiberglass a nice hard, glossy finish, so they all match and look really nice.

When you set the cabinet in place, you can move it around and then can tell when it fits best. Just support it and mark a line at least 2 inches in from it around the back and top on the Ensolite. Remove the cabinet and cut away the ensolite. Use a sharp wood chisel to get it all off down to a clean surface on the Scamp fiberglass body.

I secured the cabinet with a mess of six-inch long pieces of 1"x2" wood that allows them to follow the conture of the camper body better. Just put a mess of the micro-fiber type fiberglass gel on the pieces and press them into position. They are light enough and the gel is thick enough that they will stay in position by themselves until they have cured. Super strong when done, and no holes in the camper body.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Mike,

I don't have a hot water heater in my camper. I use solar water heating bags instead. Pic below.

I have used the Zodi only once on a Fall trip at 9,000 feet in the mountains, otherwise, the solar system has served me well. I don't have the extra weight or lose space for a water heater.

The solar bags are nice for when I a camped in dispersed sites with a lot of shade. I can set them out in the sun away from the camper and get hot water for an afternoon shower. I did find out on my recent trip to California a couple of weeks ago that if left out too long, the water can get really hot and has to be allowed to cool for later use.
Attached Thumbnails
Zodi water heater 02.jpg   Zodi water heater 05.jpg  

Tags
scamp