From Blue Rain to Italianate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
In late December we departed from Eugene, Oregon on an adventurous journey to Baja. We left with visions of warm, sunny beaches and blue surf. We left in a flurry of snow showers and continued in snowy conditions on I-5 South to Grants Pass where we veered off to catch 101 on the coast since we were not in a time crunch and thought 101 would be a more beautiful drive. Unbeknownst to us, we had neglected to fully lock the front sliding window and it worked its way open over the bumpy, windy ride. We were buffeted by 60-80 mph wind gusts on the coast. We arrived in Crescent City where we spent a night near the beach with the winds continuing most of the night. We were dismayed to find a wet carpet that night when we set up camp. We had toyed with the idea of changing the floor prior to our trip but didn't think we had time to do that. We tried to dry out the carpet as best we could that night with the heater, fans and hair dryers. You could hardly notice a difference. We continued on our way the next day. A break in the weather gave us opportunities to walk the dogs and stretch our legs. Then we were hit by more snow and sleet and wind. The next night in Wiletz we continued our efforts to dry the carpet. That night Dennis and our dog, Luna, were snuggled in the warm, dry bed quietly snoring and content to sleep. I was also in the warm, dry bed but I was obsessing about the wet carpet below and had visions of impending mildew. The next morning Dennis made some coffee and I dug out a steak knife from our utility box. I pried the knife under the carpet and began to cut the carpet. I was intent on removing it and its promise of mildew. Dennis' eyes grew big so I suggested that he might want to walk the dog for a few minutes while I "tidied up a bit". When he came back, most of the carpet was out and the floor was dry. He was very pleased and after we traveled in the snow and rain for another day we made camp and he helped take out the rest of the carpet. We stopped in Bakersfield at Home Depot and bought area rug remnants to cover the floor for the duration of the trip.

Upon our return we replaced the carpet and added a nice pad underneath. With the new "Burnt Sugar" brown, it seemed only right to change the curtains to a warmer color. Gina would love the Italiante design made so popular in late Rennaissance by the Medicis. So, goodbye to the blue and welcome to the new warmer shades. Here are some photos of the changes without the seat cushions back in yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300004.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	11536

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300007.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	11534
Attached Thumbnails
P1300008.jpg   P1300006.jpg  

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking good.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
In late December we departed from Eugene, Oregon on an adventurous journey to Baja.
You can't just tease us with an opening line like that! How about a long tale of your trip for those of us slogging through a -45<sup>o</sup> January?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
what trip!! your trailer looks 'spiffy'....!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
You can't just tease us with an opening line like that! How about a long tale of your trip for those of us slogging through a -45<sup>o</sup> January?
I'd be happy to share more. I'll add more later today. Thanks! Keep warm, -45 is very cold!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the kudos, Christy and Chester. It has been fun making lemonade from lemons! Our little Burro was so cozy and safe throughout it all.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It can't be bad if it's Italian!

Yes, a bit higher contrast stuff makes it a lot homier, and you did good getting rid of the carpet. It molds within 2 days.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I for one would like to see some close up shots of that table. Did you make it or did it come with the Burro?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #9

Thanks, Gina. You probably know that Urso is a Sicilian name so of course we think the Italian influence is just fine!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/style_em...fault/Thanx.gif

Quote:
I for one would like to see some close up shots of that table. Did you make it or did it come with the Burro?
A friend helped us with the table. It is cherry and matches the stove cover. I'll send a more detailed picture for you in the next day or two. It has a wonderful feel and I think that it adds warmth to the trailer. Since we don't use this area for sleeping, we felt free to make mods that worked better for us.