Front Dinette. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
After lots of procrastinating about adding a front dinette we just went ahead and did it.We love it.Having the bed permanent saves lots of time and energy and it is so nice to have a place to have coffee when its cool or rainy.It always seems to rain when we camp!!!!!!Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. Pat.
Attached Thumbnails
Front_dinette_1.jpg  
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Nice! Can you elaborate a bit on your installation of the nearly-flush socket mount? I like the access door on the compartment by the entranceway - looks like that may have been a factory option.

I have a question about the seat backs, but after typing it I decided it should really be a new thread, so I will start one.

Thanks for the photo.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Very nice! You're really going to enjoy this mod.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
That bench appears to be molded fiberglass, did you create this, or find one to replace the flat bench?
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

Hi April,

I'm not Pat, but I can answer your question:

Bolers came with at least three (that I know of) front bench styles:

1) has just the bench all the way across with no Porta-potti cutout on the "ankle" side (this one was in older Bolers that don't have the extra "box" in the frame to accommodate the Porta-potti niche).

2) is also a couch platform that runs all the way across on top. However, this one has a Porta-potti storage cutout on the "ankle" side (this one is like the Scamp, AFAIK).

3) is like Pat's. It has the Porta-potti niche on the "ankle" side, and also the bench top has a pre-formed cut-out. The cut-out has molded in "cleats" around in a U-shape and then a board is there to cover over the niche (which, if you lifted it up, would be like a table top in shape). Here is another photo of Type 3 (Cyndi's); in this one she has kept the bunk/back in place:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_yellow_dinette_mod_keeping_bunk_with_table_up.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	22532
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
its the best mod anyone will ever do in a 13!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #7

Finding a preformed bench with the center already cut out sure would make this mod easier to do... we have the bench that is one solid piece with a door in the center and two access points one either side under the cushion. I suspect we would have to butcher our bench or build new ones to make this mod happen. As of now, we still have several other projects ahead of this idea which take priority. I still like this mod, and will continue to think about ways to make it happen. Our main concern is being able to use the front bunk as a bed if needed, but it would be nice to have the table option. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Nice! Can you elaborate a bit on your installation of the nearly-flush socket mount? I like the access door on the compartment by the entranceway - looks like that may have been a factory option.

I have a question about the seat backs, but after typing it I decided it should really be a new thread, so I will start one.

Thanks for the photo.

Raya
Thanks Raya.We have kept the couch back and will use it along the back of the unit in the cooler weather when we spend more time in the trailer.For summer we wanted something that looked a little cooler so we just used the original bench cushions ( we had all new cushions and foam made last summer)and I bought two big cushions for backrests.The recessed socket mount was really easy to install.Just used the template that came with it for a cutout.The pedestal sits about two inches into the base.This lets me remove the pedestal and the table and gives an almost flat surface to store things in when travelling.Wish we had done this sooner.Sure makes it seem like a lot more room in a 13'...... Pat.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette_2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Finding a preformed bench with the center already cut out sure would make this mod easier to do... we have the bench that is one solid piece with a door in the center and two access points one either side under the cushion. I suspect we would have to butcher our bench or build new ones to make this mod happen. As of now, we still have several other projects ahead of this idea which take priority. I still like this mod, and will continue to think about ways to make it happen. Our main concern is being able to use the front bunk as a bed if needed, but it would be nice to have the table option. Thanks for sharing!!
Hi April,
We were very lucky to have the bench cutout already there.I know it certainly made the conversion to a front dinette much easier.Maybe someone else on the fourm could help you with the conversion in your unit.It sure makes life in this small unit more pleasant especially when the weather is not co-operating.....Good luke with your projects.....Pat.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
its the best mod anyone will ever do in a 13!

I sure agree Gina.Its amazing how much more room there seems to be.Not to mention how nice it is to sit inside when it is raining on my parade....Pat.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Very nice! You're really going to enjoy this mod.
Sandra
Thanks.We got to try it out over the weekend.Just wish we had done it sooner.....Pat.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Nice work! I just finished my own front dinette--and like many have said here, you wonder how you did without it. Enjoy!

-k
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Nice work! I just finished my own front dinette--and like many have said here, you wonder how you did without it. Enjoy!

-k
Hi Karen.Actually it was your post about the front dinette you added to your trailer that actually made us deciede to finally go ahead and add one to ours.We had procratinated for quite a while but yours looked so good we decieded to finally go ahead with it.I also like your closet shelves and the drawer you added under the bed.Going to work on both of those......Pat.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Wow, Pat, thanks! Can't wait to see how yours turn out!

-k
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #15

So after doing some thinking, and not wanting to have to cut up and redo our entire front bunk, I came up with this basic plan for a fold out table that will not be huge, but should be large enough to be useful... here is my photoshop plan...
up position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	folding_table_idea.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	22653

down position:
[attachment=27082:folding_...dea_down.j
pg]

we are still waiting for the weather to cool down so we can stand working inside the trailer. The basic plan is to cut a shelf board to be 16" x 16" which is the max size for the clearance it needs to fold up and not get stuck on the bench cushion. We decided on 16" wide, so there is plenty of room to sit down on either side of the table once installed and opened up for use. We will be mounting it to the front wall with 2 folding shelf brackets I found on line. I will post updates once the actual work is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
folding_table_idea_down.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
California
Curiosity has the best of me. I think the cut out shape of the fiberglass bench is great! ( mine in the full across one) What was the cut out for back then. Was the table there or just an opening? Was there a door across the space or just an indentation?

Roy
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Nice looking job and Gina is right its the best mod you can do in 13 and even some 16's. I did that same kinda mod in one of my old Scamps a few years ago. My wife still kicks me that I sold it , because she loved the front dinette so much. Oh well live and learn.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #18

Roy,

All the functions were the same as in the Scamp-type with the "solid" bench top and the Porta-potti door. Difference being that the bench has the molded "U" shape and the "fill in" for the top is a board. It's the same width as the Porta pottie door which is just beneath it but on the front of the bench. None that I've seen indicate that there was any intention to make it into a table, but it's certainly prime for it, as you can just lift out the top board and, Voila, table! There are little indentations in the top of the bench that the filler board sits in, just like the ones on the rear dinette.

April,
Not that your plan isn't fine, but as another option I've seen a couple of write-ups on here where they made a table that is sort of a U-shape wherein one "leg" tucks under the bench cushion. Then the legs either fold or disassemble in order to make it flat for storage. Potential benefits are no need to mount brackets to wall, ability to use couch back cushion (although I realize you don't have one), and there isn't the limitation on table depth that there is when you need to be able to fold it down.

I have some photos saved if you want to see but aren't able to find the threads. Just let me know and I'll post them here.

Raya