Front dinette and toilet in Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Front dinette and toilet in Scamp 13

I am putting a front dinette in my 13 foot Scamp. I have researched various set ups and have a good idea as to what I will do. I am torn between a porta potti or a real flush toilet under the door side seat. I think I can raise the toilet on a box/pedestal that will be the black water tank. This may require an access hole in the side or front of the body to put the dump drain. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
I am putting a front dinette in my 13 foot Scamp. I have researched various set ups and have a good idea as to what I will do. I am torn between a porta potti or a real flush toilet under the door side seat. I think I can raise the toilet on a box/pedestal that will be the black water tank. This may require an access hole in the side or front of the body to put the dump drain. Any thoughts? Thanks.
A couple of things.
1) most dumping stations are set up on the trailers drivers side - to have to drag a slinky hose around or under the trailer to connect would be a big pain.
2) Secondly If you were having to travel to the nearest dump station with the tank full you would be adding a fair amount of weight to the very front of the trailer.
3) I suspect you will have to mount the black tank so it is at least partly below the floor level if you are wanting to be able to sit on top of the flush toilet and use your front dinette as well. Doing that would reduce the ground clearance at the front of the trailer.... you *might* scrape the tank off on the first big speed dump you go over
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I just sold the shorty toilet and holding tank I took out of my hunter, but that combination would have worked for you as it had a drain out the bottom.
The loo sat on a platform just a tad higher than the holding tank beneath.
It was like the SCAMP marine toilet in design but more compact and in two separate sections.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

There are some pics of the Hunter toilet installed here. The entire toilet, base and holding tank are above floor level. All that goes through the floor is the dump valve tube.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Old 11-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I am having a hard time visualizing how either could be made to fit under the sides of the dinette because of the raised floor there.

The smallest porta-potties are only about 13" high and barely fit in the lowered center compartment under the factory bench, which is 14" high. With the 4" cushion, the factory seat height is 18" (which is the same as the dinette at the back and a bit higher than the chair I am sitting in now). The floor on the sides is 6" higher, so you would have to raise the seat height at least that much. Add 6" and your seats are now 24" high. Your feet will be dangling.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Easy Peasy.... Just raise the floor under the dinette table 4" the same as is done at the back, then you will have lots of room for the Loo under the seats

Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think Carol has a good point on the drain being on the wrong side. Which side is the sink on? Are you going to have a holding tank for that? I think most folks drain the black water tank, followed by the grey water so the grey water can flush some of the crud from the stinky slinky.

As Bob suggests you could run a deck all the way across, maybe put a drawer under that center section where the deck is lower so you don't lose the space.

Getting a front dinette and a toilet in a Scamp 13 is a conundrum that is for sure. I go out and sit looking at the front trying to get an inspiration. So far porta pottie stowed in the seat is all that has come to my mind.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

And you can make a dinette seat/cover for the loo that has 6' sides that lifts off and exposes the top 4" of the loo. All in all it sounds like a great idea and, I hope, doable.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #9

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I think that raising the seat will just make it better located to the height of the window. Bob, I am interested in the toilet you had. If I can make the dump point straight down even if I have to get under the front of the trailer to hook up my slinky it would be OK. Where can I read about the toilet you had? Thanks, Danny
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

It was a 40 y.o. loo and holding tank, but similar items are still available. tank-depot.com is a good source for the tank and I have also seen the under-loo holding tanks offered elsewhere.

Send me an email address via a PM (click on my name and pull down to send private mail) and I can send you a set of pics of the parts after they were taken out.

Tags
scamp