Front Dinette Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Front Dinette Mod

Like many others, my wife and I didn't like making the bed into the (4-person) dinette,(when we couldn't eat outside at a picnic table). I modified the front (bunk-then-sofa) area to a 2-person dinette. We truly enjoyed it our first (post-mod) four-day outing this past week. I added a 1/2" plywood "strengthener" to the table mount base and top. The trailer bottom to the (previously) cubby is only 3/8", not strong enough to stand on, even with the steel brace. I also added a new 3/4" piece for flooring. The base turns easily for access to the left-hand seat. I installed a 120V receptacle, as our 1980-vintage Scamp ("Eggstreem") only has them in the rear. That was the toughest part of the job, fishing (pulling!) the wiring through. Make sure you wear a mask when cutting fiberglass - the fine dust is everywhere. Thanks to those who provided the idea, motivation and photos!
Attached Thumbnails
FrontDinMod1607.jpg   FrontDinMod1608.jpg  

FrontDinMod1611.jpg   FrontDinMod1612.jpg  

FrontDinMod1613.jpg   FrontDinMod1614.jpg  

FrontDinMod1642.jpg  
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

Registry
Front Dinette Remod P.S

I almost forgot an important item. The off-set table base was necessary in order to screw the base down without hitting the steel bar support in the frame.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Registry
Front Dinette Remod PPS

The table still converts into a sofa.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Nicely done!
I plan on doing this same mod once my boys don't want to go traveling with Mum and Dad anymore....gotta few years to go
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Thumbs up Dinette remodel

Nice job!
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1960s 10 ft Burro
Dinette looks great! Was wondering why you needed to add an outlet--we have a 13 ft burro and plan on making the front sofa into a dinette.
Rose Feys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #7

Registry
Dinette

Thanks for kudos...The 16'er has two 120V receptacles, both by what is now our bedroom...there aren't any near the front of the trailer, and I thought it would be a nice touch...I also added an overhead 1141 12V light, as the original front light is not sufficient for the new dining area.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Think of doing the same one of these days. Was wondering were you fished the power from and how did you manage to do it?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Think of doing the same one of these days. Was wondering were you fished the power from and how did you manage to do it?
Carol:
I took out the original flourescent light, the vent hood light was sufficient; I had to have room to install an undercounter microwave. Since the light was wired into the left-side receptacle, I removed it, wired in the new 12-2 120V wiring from there up to the front via the left-hand floor...I used fish-tape to pull it through...it took all the strength I had to pull it. (Practically stripped the outter insulation off the wire.) There were a lot of 14-gauge wires in there. I fed the wire from inside the fridge compartment. The fish tape was fed from the front-left storage cubby. It always got hung up at the front of the left wheel well, but I could just reach it with a bent coat-hanger. I actually had to remove the plastic tip
from the fish tape to pull the wire through...that's how tight it was. I was about to consider running the 12-2 wire in conduit underneath the trailer, when I gave it one final hard tug and it came through. Hope this helps.

I'm intrigued by the amount of people choosing to modify these little RV's.
Its got to be the challenge, because all my retrofitting has proven difficult, but I still would rather modify than buy new. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Could we chalk it up to a "Vintage Spirit?"
Lawrence
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Lawrence for the info. I understand the wire fishing issue as I did some wiring fishing on the week-end while installing a tv. Not a great joy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I agree Lawrence, I'd rather buy vintage and do my own thing. Bad news is---I don't know how to do anything myself!!

So, let me get this straight---did you have to brace the floor under the table to make it stronger???? Do you think everybody is doing that? Is nothing simple? I'd like to do what you did, and add Kevin K's extended bed piece--but how do I know if I need to shore up the floor?
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote