'Fruity' Wire colors by the Foot. Where? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
'Fruity' Wire colors by the Foot. Where?

I am wanting to repair and replace some of my 12 volt wiring on my 'new' '93 13 ft. Scamp. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can get colored 12 gauge wire by the foot?

Most online suppliers are selling it by the spool. I don't need that much and it costs too much to go that route.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMScampers View Post
I am wanting to repair and replace some of my 12 volt wiring on my 'new' '93 13 ft. Scamp. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can get colored 12 gauge wire by the foot?

Most online suppliers are selling it by the spool. I don't need that much and it costs too much to go that route.
Most Big Box lumber stores - Lowes, Home Depot, etc. sell various gauges and colors of wire by the foot.

Hope this helps.

Spanke

Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Your local hardware store? Or sometimes it is cheaper to just buy a 12 gauge wire extension cord, depends how much you need....
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
You might want to look for some multi-strand wire by the foot from an electric company or the big box stores. 4 pair will typically have 8 colors in it.

Useful if wiring in controls or other items where you want to track lines to specific device or switch.

Speaker cable for multi-channel audio may have several colors in it.

But as Spanke said for basic colors you can purchase by the foot in most primary colors.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Go to your local marine supply they sell by the foot and the wire is far superior being finely stranded and tinned. You can also look for stranded twin 12Ga speaker cord it comes in clear and in red/black. I used alot of clear and color coaded the ends with colored tape.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I like Siamesed speaker wire in red and black from eBay. It is inexpensive and very flexible. I mark the end of the wire with paper tags that I make from printer envelope labels.

While I see the advantage of colored wires when you have a huge loom to keep straight, I've found that the wiring in a camper is simple enough to use the same color, but labeled. YMMV
Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just go to my local auto parts store, they usually have small spools of wire in 25 foot lengths and various colors. It's made for 12 volt automotive use, so that's what I get. For running two wires together, as in a situation where I need a hot wire and a ground wire I buy jacketed wire at NAPA.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I agree with Steve on the marine wire. I buy black and white stranded wires in different gauges and it is jacketed which makes a real nice looking job.
Eddie
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Delcity or waytekwire online.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #10

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Alberta
If you want to get real OCD about the colours and wire, check out these guys under their "Supplies" tab.
Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I just go to my local auto parts store, they usually have small spools of wire in 25 foot lengths and various colors. It's made for 12 volt automotive use, so that's what I get. For running two wires together, as in a situation where I need a hot wire and a ground wire I buy jacketed wire at NAPA.
Napa or Pep Boys or O'Reilly's or Knechts... just about any automotive parts place sells it buy the foot. I've even seen it at my local True Value Hardware store in the automotive section.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just be careful what the wire is. My auto parts stores only had it in short rolls, I went to ace, but the spoiled stranded wire by the foot was only for home use. It's probably overkill, but I wanted the outdoor marine wire.

I found most of it on eBay cheaper than anywhere.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I want wire it's usually right now, so a 3 minute trip to the auto parts store where I have an account is my solution. I also keep several rolls in stock at home, but sometimes just don't have the color or size I want. Also have a large assortment of connectors all separated in a compartmented box, some wire loom, and a mini torch for the heat shrink connectors.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #14

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMScampers View Post

Dave
I re-read your post I think you are asking about the running lights wiring using the Bargman wiring color code. You can buy a 7 wire cable with all the wires from E-trailer for $2.07. If you can't find the single colored wires you could call Scamp parts I'm sure they will sell you some wires buy the foot.
Eddie