Full size bed in a boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Boler
Kentucky
Full size bed in a boler?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1854.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	105054
Looking for ideas of something to build to make this full size bed fit without cutting. I really just wanted to see how much bigger it was and it's not more than 7 inches wider....just looking for some ideas to make like a giant couch back or or something? It will stay out full time so no need to store for the dinette, it is upfront. Anybody else kept their full mattress one piece? I can cut it I'm just trying to look for other ideas first.
JrossB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
One solution is to rotate your sleeping position 90 degrees. You need to build a bed extension between the closet and the kitchen. Narrow for the legs but wide for the body.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bed-68259.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
One solution is to rotate your sleeping position 90 degrees. You need to build a bed extension between the closet and the kitchen. Narrow for the legs but wide for the body.
I had heard of doing this on other sites too but by doing this in my 1300, the foot of the bed is hitting the furnace.
Has others done this and not worried about it or is this just done where you will not be useing the furnace?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I had heard of doing this on other sites too but by doing this in my 1300, the foot of the bed is hitting the furnace.
Has others done this and not worried about it or is this just done where you will not be useing the furnace?
I added a link. You might find an answer there. I would not use my furnace with the extension up as it is under the bed. When it gets real cold we have the dog.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I thought so...about the furnace not the dog LOL....Thanks
It would not work for me up here in Maine.
Where even summer nights will get down into the low 50's, Wife likes it at a constant 74 degree's most the time.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is this for one person or two?

When you say "giant couch back," do you mean something like a futon? It might be possible to find and modify a thrift store futon frame (minus the legs and arms) to sit on top of the dinette bases. It still won't fold flat at night, so there will only be room for one person.

Turning the bed 90 degrees for a longways sleeping position will still require cutting the mattress, since the aisle width is less that the mattress width, and little to gain, since a full-size mattress is only 74" long and already fits crossways in the dinette space.

Some people have widened the bed space by cutting into the galley and closet. That takes some skill to get a professional-looking result and not a hack job. Know that both- especially the closet- provide necessary support for the shell. Even if you do that, the mattress will still not fit the curved corners neatly.

For myself, I would just cut the mattress to fit. The hard part, if you want a neat appearance, is re-doing the cover to fit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is this for one person or two?

When you say "giant couch back," do you mean something like a futon? It might be possible to find and modify a thrift store futon frame (minus the legs and arms) to sit on top of the dinette bases. It still won't fold flat at night, so there will only be room for one person.

Turning the bed 90 degrees for a longways sleeping position will still require cutting the mattress, since the aisle width is less that the mattress width, and little to gain, since a full-size mattress is only 74" long and already fits crossways in the dinette space.

Some people have widened the bed space by cutting into the galley and closet. That takes some skill to get a professional-looking result and not a hack job. Know that both- especially the closet- provide necessary support for the shell. Even if you do that, the mattress will still not fit the curved corners neatly.

For myself, I would just cut the mattress to fit. The hard part, if you want a neat appearance, is re-doing the cover to fit.

Futon frame is an excellent idea...

Yeah I've already resigned to cutting it to fit after mulling it over. Any tips on getting the covers to fit? I bought the little suspender like corner clips but I'm not sure if that will keep the sheets from coming off.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
I bought a full size memory foam mattress for my Casita. Made a template of bed space from a piece of heavy duty plastic, then used that to mark the cutting lines, that way I got a good fit for the curve of rear corners. Used an electric kitchen carving knife to cut the foam, worked great. Then I hand stitched the mattress cover to fit the cut end of the mattress. The outer cover has a zipper, I just tucked the extra bulk to the back side of the mattress. The mattress came with a zippered outer cover and an inner cover which I cut open and then restitched after cutting.
The fitted sheet I use stays in place very well, the front pulls taught and I tuck any excess in the back side of the mattress. I use twin top sheet and blanket, less overhang to deal with. I sleep alone in the bed, so the twin sheet is plenty wide for me.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #9

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCastle View Post
I bought a full size memory foam mattress for my Casita. Made a template of bed space from a piece of heavy duty plastic, then used that to mark the cutting lines, that way I got a good fit for the curve of rear corners. Used an electric kitchen carving knife to cut the foam, worked great. Then I hand stitched the mattress cover to fit the cut end of the mattress. The outer cover has a zipper, I just tucked the extra bulk to the back side of the mattress. The mattress came with a zippered outer cover and an inner cover which I cut open and then restitched after cutting.
The fitted sheet I use stays in place very well, the front pulls taught and I tuck any excess in the back side of the mattress. I use twin top sheet and blanket, less overhang to deal with. I sleep alone in the bed, so the twin sheet is plenty wide for me.

Thanks! All good ideas!