Furnace install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Furnace install

For those of you who have installed a furnace in your EggCamper, what brand furnace did you use and what is the output? Local RV place has a 12,000 btu one in their catalog. How does that compare to yours? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
This is the unit installed in my 13 Scamp. It works really well.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ace-55071.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is the one in my 19' Escape, love it. Lowest amp draw on the market.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob,
Atwood 8012-II. As Jim said; it has the lowest current draw of all the furnaces with a fan that I could find. I wanted a furnace with outside exhaust. In spite of all the safety claims for cat heaters, I prefer the outside flue. I haven't had to use it too often, but when I did, it worked well, although the fan is a bit louder than the original electric heater.

With that said, I've heard there are some outside vented cat heaters being manufactured these days that may be even easier on your battery. Sorry, I don't have any details or experience with them.

Here's a photo of its location just above the wheel well. As you'll notice, I've done several changes to the front of the kitchen. Prior to installing the furnace, I had two smaller drawers in that location. I removed them to accomodate the furnace, but that required adding a 1/4" birch plywood facade, lowering the fridge, and adding the drawer above the fridge. The support for the new furnace is wooden table (bridge) that straddles the original heater and is screwed to the floor. The propane sensor is mounted beneath the original electric heater.

In the first photo, I've removed the carpeting in preparation for installing vinyl flooring (alure).

I also moved the 120 vac outlet from the front of the kitchen to the post at the left rear of the counter.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace-18.JPG   Furnace-11.JPG  

120VacOutlet.JPG  
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
That is the one in my 19' Escape, love it. Lowest amp draw on the market.
Not the lowest if you consider that some heaters use no electricity--including vented heaters.

If run continuously, 2 Amps at 12 volts is 24 Amp-Hours (AH). A full days continuous use would be 576 AH. So at a worst case your batteries would be dead pretty quickly.

Of course if you were plugged in, power is not a concern.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #6

Connecticut
It looks rather nice there. Good job installing it by the way.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #7

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
amps * volts = watts, not amp hours. 2 amps continuous would be 48 amp hours per day.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
amps * volts = watts, not amp hours. 2 amps continuous would be 48 amp hours per day.
But, only if it runs non-stop, which it doesn't. In reality, it's probably more like a 50% duty cycle, when it's in use and it probably would be shut down completely during some part of the day.

Also, with enough solar, the panels would be powering the appliances during daylight hours.

In spite of all this, it would be worth exploring some of the newer catalytic vented furnaces. As Conrad mentioned, there are some that use no electric.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Ron,
Would REALLY like to see a lot more pixs of your kitchen and other areas is you re-did them. Dont know if you have photobucket or similar place to post but this will be my third step for my restoration and I like your compartmentalization of everything. SO any pictures to make my life easier plus descriptions of what you did would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Yesterday I dropped the EggCamper off at our local RV place for furnace & cooktop installation. They handle the Atwood furnace and are super guys with a lot of skills at very reasonable prices and they've always been very accommodating. Thanks all for your input.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

Texas
Ron F I also noticed what appears to be no stove? Was this intentional or are you a WIP on your Egg????

rgrugg maybe you can post some pictures of the final product after you get it back both inside the egg, inside the cabinet mounting and perhaps the outside venting port placement. THANKS - am looking for details to assist me.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #12

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
But, only if it runs non-stop, which it doesn't. In reality, it's probably more like a 50% duty cycle, when it's in use and it probably would be shut down completely during some part of the day.

Also, with enough solar, the panels would be powering the appliances during daylight hours.
I completely agree. My 75w panel could usually keep up to my daily fridge/furnace consumption because nothing runs all of the time. Only time my batteries don't charge completely are on poor sun days or if I'm parked in a terrible spot.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Ron F I also noticed what appears to be no stove? Was this intentional or are you a WIP on your Egg????

rgrugg maybe you can post some pictures of the final product after you get it back both inside the egg, inside the cabinet mounting and perhaps the outside venting port placement. THANKS - am looking for details to assist me.

Mike
The EggCamper is an all electric unit, stove is a plug in electric burner style. The all electric is the reason for the propane installs in the Eggcampers.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

Texas
Thanks Jim,

I was totally unaware of that "feature". Very interesting. I will have to find the next closest Egg get together and come down for the day and visit everyone if its somewhere close to Dallas area. Would be able to see a lot of things up close and personal.
Thanks
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #15

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task
You are correct. I must have been asleep.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F

In spite of all this, it would be worth exploring some of the newer catalytic vented furnaces. As Conrad mentioned, there are some that use no electric.
I decided to get the Dickenson vented heater. It fits my Marine theme as well.

These Suburban heaters are very impressive and simple to use. They are much smaller and lighter than the monster I tore out of my camper last year. I like that their is only one cut out on the side too. A new furnace also inspires confidence. I find the old ones rather scary.

My brother has boon docked full time in a 26' camper with one pair of six volt solar panels in series and a non vented catalytic heater. That was all he used and he raved about it and stressed the value of its not needing power. Of course these nom vented types put a lot of water into the air which can cause other problems.

I've read the many complaints people had about power draw on furnaces and the noise. Personally, I don't mind the sound of a furnace kicking on and off.

I do value something quiet in that I can hear what is going on around me. When I anchor boats overnight, I tie off halyards and religiously track and cure anything noisy, so I can hear other boats drifting too close. No matter where i go, someone anchors next to me. it is the herd instinct. Likewise when camping, and I boon dock mostly,I want it quiet to be more aware of my surroundings.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I read the Dickenson manual but could not find any mention of operation at high altitude something you might want to check if you camp up high. Some heaters dont like the higher altitudes. The Attwood II works at higher altitudes.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #18

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Dickinson makes good products. Over the years with different boats i had a propane heater... loved the flames through the window...and 2 different diesel model's. I really need a diesel truck and put a diesel model in my ParkLiner one day.

Now I'm starting to look for a solar panel to roof mount that would compensate for the fan on the existing heater. Good to keep the batteries topped off.

deryk

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #19

Registry
Mike,
I don't have a photbucket, but I'll post a few more pics that might shed some light.

Also, as Jim noted, most EggCampers came as "electric only" with the cooking done on an electric hot plate or griddle. With the exception of boiling water on a small Trangia alcohol stove, making coffee in the coffee maker, and reheating something in the microwave, we do all the cooking outside.

Here are a few more photos and some comments.
Photo 1 is the before, showing an earlier mod to add two drawers.

Photo 2 shows everything removed, but with the original cutouts.

Photo 3 shows the 1/4" birch plywood being glued to the front of the cabinet. I use 3M 5200 for permanent work and 3M 4200 Fast Cure for items that may be removed sometime in the future. The 5200 cure time takes longer.

Photo 4 shows the opening for the furnace. You can see the top of the supporting table. It straddles the original furnace and propane sensor (below).

Photo 5 shows the enlarged cutouts before applying the plywood.

Photo 6 shows the vent. This was the most critical cut (read nerve racking), making sure that the outside cutout lined up with the flue for the furnace. Measure 3 or 4 times before cutting.

I also glued (3M 5200) wood strips on the inner surface of the cabinet, which provided stiffness and, in several places, material for screws to bite into.

The framing for the drawer, left side is glued to the left (inside) of the cabinet and, for the right side to the underside of the counter top.

Moving the electrical outlet to above the cabinet required a 1/2" wooden spacer to allow for the depth of the electrical box inside the post.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Drawers1.jpg   Furnace-4.JPG  

Furnace-8.JPG   Furnace-12.JPG  

Furnace-6.JPG   Furnace-14.JPG  

Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #20

Texas
Furnace placement and additional comments

Thanks for the pictures Ron. I just ASSumed that Casitas or others were propane. I had two pop-ups and a stick back in the 70s and they all had full propane, heaters, etc. So that was an enlightenment for me. The one that I have now had a Suburban Furnace,Dometic fridge,Mansfield marine toilet and a 2 burner stove in it. They were all rusted out badly and I would not trust their integrity or safety. That's the only egg insides I had ever seen save for the Casita web site of present day. I have pictured my interior galley to be just like yours with stove,sink,fridge and heater on the drivers side and on the side that had the fridge and microwave I want to put all drawers and a shelf on the very top. Someone suggested putting the AC in the closet instead of the window and I finally saw a picture on one that was for sale and thats a good idea I think. I like the openness of the area without the cabinet on the passenger side BUT I think that the curved cabinet assists in the structural integrity of the egg by tying both sides together???? I would like a cabinet over the galley but unlike the original which just hung down on 4 rivets, I want to incorporate two small support stanchions to brace the upper cabinet. I think you have something like that which you mounted an AC receptacle on.
This is going to cost a little more than I had anticipated being on a fixed retirement income but I would rather go slower and do it right once. I can always camp in stages after I get the outsides done and then work as I can on the insides. Just grab a Weber and jug of water and cook outside for now
Thanks to all you guys for your replies. Everyone has been super helpful and I love the pictures as they really do tell a story.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust

Tags
furnace