Furnace or cat heater for EGG Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #15

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Cat heaters and fiberglass units don't mix ! Several reasons, condensation and fire if anything gets too close.

I am a boonDOCer and never use hook-ups. I don't like the forced air furnaces because they take too much battery power and the NOISE.

I am into my second installation of a 'POT TYPE' propane furnace. They are easy to use, QUIET,

Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #16

Washington
CONTINUED from campfrugal.

Pot type propane furnaces also don't breath inside air and they don't exhaut to the inside thereby no condensation.

Used 'Pot type' furnaces can be found in RV salvage yards and on Craig's List for $ 25.-$50. The ones I have used are around 7500 BTU.

Most times I use only the Pilot lite for just enough night time heat. But, when
it's cold outside, I turn it up and it will get nice and toasty.

Doc

Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
CONTINUED from campfrugal.

Pot type propane furnaces also don't breath inside air and they don't exhaut to the inside thereby no condensation.

Used 'Pot type' furnaces can be found in RV salvage yards and on Craig's List for $ 25.-$50. The ones I have used are around 7500 BTU.

Most times I use only the Pilot lite for just enough night time heat. But, when
it's cold outside, I turn it up and it will get nice and toasty.

Doc
What is a "Pot furnace"? I googled, ebay'd and Amazon'd it and all i can come up with is a pot for melting lead??
Joe
Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #18

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hydroflame made the BCR 10 A it was a very good furnace , it used outside air for combustion and had no fan. Great for conserving battery life .
Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #19

Washington
Pot furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Hydroflame made the BCR 10 A it was a very good furnace , it used outside air for combustion and had no fan. Great for conserving battery life .
Joe is correct, and Hydroflame is my favorite brand. These Pot type propane heaters were used in the '60s, '70s & 80s in many Truck Campers and tent trailers.

WHAT IT IS: a 6" diamater steel cylinder about 10" high with a circular burner in the bottom with outside air & Propane jet. Close to the top is the exhaust to the outside. The pot is contained in a fireproof double wall metal box. The heat escapes thru a grill facing the interior of the trailer. It uses a standing pilot light. The heat is controled by a dial.
No noisy fan, no battery drain and no darn condensation, YEA POT FURNACES.

Doc
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #20

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Doc,
These camper heaters are great and came in many Bolers. I don't think many would dispute the value of fanless, noiseless heat.

Here's a video of one being fired: YouTube - ‪Suburban Furnace 0001‬‏

Doc, have you got a supplier for these things? Could I buy another on the day mine dies?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #21

Washington
Mark, thank you for the You Tube video.

As to your question of Supplier.....I have only found them on Craig's List and
RV Salvage yards.....I guess I should see if they are still being made.
Doc
Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark V. View Post
Doc,

Doc, have you got a supplier for these things? Could I buy another on the day mine dies?
The units referred to here as "Pot heaters" are commonly called "gravity fed" heaters and were banned in the '80's, I don't know why.
Googling that term will get lots of hits- you might find a used one.
I took mine out (it's spoken for!) because I wasn't satisfied with the heat output.
The catalytic heater I replaced it with supplies a lot more heat using a lot less fuel.
The only drawback of the cat heater in my five years of experience with it has been that the water produced by combustion (1 gal. water from 1gal. of propane!) is discharged inside the trailer, as pointed out above.
I've achieved better control of the resulting condensation by better insulation/vent arrangements.
Since mine faces out to permanent open space, and since cat heater grill temps are far below flash points, "contact"
fire/burn hazard is low to nonexistent.
Of course, if something flammable such as drapes or clothing is allowed to stay in prolonged contact with the grill (or a lightbulb, for that matter), temps can/will rise to the combustion point.
Ordinary care must be exercised. Don't install such a device under a coat rack, for example. Coats can fall off the hooks onto the heater.

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Of course, if something flammable such as drapes or clothing is allowed to stay in prolonged contact with the grill (or a lightbulb, for that matter), temps can/will rise to the combustion point.
Francesca
It is not just contact with the heater that can cause a fire, there is a clearance requirement around the heater where no combustibles are allowed in order to prevent fire. For example the Wave3 cat heater is 11.75"H, 10.25"W, 3.5" deep. It can not be recess mounted. The clearance requirements are for both sides and bottom 4 inches, top 18 inches, front 30 inches.

This means if mounted on a wall, the mounting spot needs to be a location without combustibles that is a minimum of 33.75" high, 18.25" wide and 33.5" in front. No drapes, clothing, sheets, blankets, cushions, walls, or anything that can burn should stay in this area.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #24

Registry
Hi, Andy

I think we're saying the same thing, except that recess mounting and heat shields are two different things...
Surface mounting a heat shield/diffuser/deflector isn't the same as recessed installation!
And I still think that flammables like drapes and clothing shouldn't be hung anywhere above a cat, even if the mfr. says 18" is far enough above.
Call me over-cautious,but I think it's too easy for stuff like that to fall and get draped over the heater.
Better safe than sorry, right?

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Hi, Andy

I think we're saying the same thing, except that recess mounting and heat shields are two different things...
Surface mounting a heat shield/diffuser/deflector isn't the same as recessed installation!
And I still think that flammables like drapes and clothing shouldn't be hung anywhere above a cat, even if the mfr. says 18" is far enough above.
Call me over-cautious,but I think it's too easy for stuff like that to fall and get draped over the heater.
Better safe than sorry, right?

Francesca
Hi Francesca,

I just wanted people to be aware of the clearance requirements so no one has a fire. There are very few places where a Wave3 could be mounted in my Burro13 and still meet the clearance. I have seen pictures of them mounted on the side of the closet, down low in the entry way. In the Burro there is not enough front clearance to the front bunk, so it would have to be mounted higher on that wall, but if there is an upper bunk it could not be mounted higher. I have also seen pictures of them mounted on the front of the closet, down low, below the closet door. While front clearance is OK, that location is not wide enough to provide proper clearance to bedding.

In the end I decided that an Atwood 8012 conventional furnace would fit better in my Burro as it only requires a small amount of cabinet space and has no large clearance requirement in the living area like the cat heater does. It was really the moisture issues and venting requirements with the cat heaters that made me decide against them. If it is cold enough to run a heater, I don't want to be required to have a window open, and there is already too much moisture just from breathing, so I don't want to add more. They do have an advantage in price and electric usage, but in the end, I felt the drawbacks outweighed those advantages, of course someone else may feel differently.
Andy
Old 05-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #26

Registry
Hi, Andy

I'm glad you brought up the subject of installation horrors!
I saw a picture on another webpage showing a Plat Cat on a HINGED CABINET DOOR in an RV!!!
It's attached to an article rapturously describing the installation...it even shows us how easy it is to continue to get into the cabinet!?!
It doesn't say how the necessary "flexing" of the gas line is achieved. Since except for the bottle-to-coach line, RV installations are NOT supposed to use flexible lines, I'm pretty sure he's cut code corners somewhere.
I'd hate to be around when that connection fails...

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have had cats. in 1 slide in camper, 2 travel trailers and have had only one problem.
I had a burned grandchild when the first one was old enough to go camping with me.
I installed a furnace and sold the cat.
I think cats. are a fine heat source but they are a danger to small children.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Hi, Andy

I'm glad you brought up the subject of installation horrors!
I saw a picture on another webpage showing a Plat Cat on a HINGED CABINET DOOR in an RV!!!
It's attached to an article rapturously describing the installation...it even shows us how easy it is to continue to get into the cabinet!?!
It doesn't say how the necessary "flexing" of the gas line is achieved. Since except for the bottle-to-coach line, RV installations are NOT supposed to use flexible lines, I'm pretty sure he's cut code corners somewhere.
I'd hate to be around when that connection fails...

Francesca
I think I saw that on the truck camper forums, on a cabinet door.

Tags
eggcamper, furnace