Furrion 30 amp power inlet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #15

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
I like that post sleeve solution! How severely does the cord get folded to store in the sleeve? I am concerned at the stress that may be put on the wires by folding vs coiling. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I like this idea too Paul very much. Its creative! My only concern is because I have to mount pvc post on front of bumper face, that the 30 amp cord has quite a bit of travel to do before entering post, even covered with hose for protection. My spare tire eliminates a top of the bumper mount as there's no room. My stabs eliminate a below mount. I'm not sure if it will work without post under trailer like you have. Your 30 amp cord goes immediately into post, protecting all the way from road debris and elements. I'm looking at trailer now and I wanna get underneath to see how low a 4" pvc sewer pipe would ride. Probably better option for me than 5x5 fence post

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 05-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I like that post sleeve solution! How severely does the cord get folded to store in the sleeve? I am concerned at the stress that may be put on the wires by folding vs coiling. Thanks.
The post being 5x5 in., and the diagonal about 7x7, the cord folding is not too severe. I fold it just enough to make it fit. What works to our advantage is that it is made of stranded wire. When the cord is stuffed into the compartment and then pulled out, it gets tangled and probably bent much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I like this idea too Paul very much. Its creative! My only concern is because I have to mount pvc post on front of bumper face, that the 30 amp cord has quite a bit of travel to do before entering post, even covered with hose for protection. My spare tire eliminates a top of the bumper mount as there's no room. My stabs eliminate a below mount. I'm not sure if it will work without post under trailer like you have. Your 30 amp cord goes immediately into post, protecting all the way from road debris and elements. I'm looking at trailer now and I wanna get underneath to see how low a 4" pvc sewer pipe would ride. Probably better option for me than 5x5 fence post

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Yes, Wendy, I forgot about the stabilizers that already take up the space under the bumper... The 4" pipe might be too small for the folded power cord. Some other solution might be needed for the 13' Scamps.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I didn't use the metal junction box in the Marinco kit. It doesn't match up well with the curved sides of the Scamp.

If you think you need extra stiffening, I guess you might cut a ring out of very thin wood (Michael's?) or plastic .... something that would conform to the curved side of the Scamp.

Because the gray water tank & outlet are back there (and because I really don't want to break the epoxy seal on the wood floor), I would be very cautious about drilling through the floor. But maybe that is just me ... ??
YMMV.

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app