GA: Trillium 1300 DE-alteration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
GA: Trillium 1300 DE-alteration

We just picked up this rig last week. It's apparently been used for tailgating at UGA games rather than camping. Overall, I think it's a decent platform to work from. First off, all the Dawgs stuff has got to go!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2857678848.jpg   image-2935729177.jpg  

image-2789355777.jpg   image-269126478.jpg  

image-3366849453.jpg  
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'd keep the wheels, they work.
The decals could go.
That thing on the kitchen counter may be hiding something.
How is the big tongue box installed? Did they do some frame work? Or is it just sitting on the orignal tongue?
There is a guy that sells the original tail lights, if you are interested.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Georgia
As you can see, she's been lifted. A bit much for my taste, and I want my parents to be able to use it safely. It has a newish straight-tube axle with leaf springs, and 15" tires.

I think we'll be able to use it some this summer, with just some cleaning and cosmetics. I've enlisted Mom and Dad to consult on what's a need and what's merely a want. They're lifelong RVers and ex-fulltimers.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I'd keep the wheels, they work.
The decals could go.
That thing on the kitchen counter may be hiding something.
How is the big tongue box installed? Did they do some frame work? Or is it just sitting on the orignal tongue?
There is a guy that sells the original tail lights, if you are interested.
Wheels are ok, but I'd like to get closer to the original attitude/stance. We'll see.
The decals will most assuredly go away.
The kitchen thing is at the very least the cause of some ugly drywall screw holes. Who knows about the appliances ...
The tongue box is about 3' deep, just bolted to a couple of welded tabs I think. Looks to me like they cut out the OE coupler and grafted a piece of 3" sq. tubing in its place. The extended tongue slides inside and is pinned to that tube. I intend to remove that whole contraption early.
Since the fiberglass is already cut for those oval grommet lights, l'll probably let that ride. Maybe LED lights, though.

I actually haven't touched it yet, have other projects with higher priority already cooking. I had just been searching for a FGRV for a good while when this came up. I had never even seen a Trillium until we saw one at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge last month. And I think those folks were FROM Canada!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Alberta
Registry
If you change your mind about the tail lights, (the originals would cover the holes). The fellow that sells them is at:
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

I got a price on just the lenses, very reasonable. He also has the complete assemblies. I asked how many he has, he said if they started making them again, then he would have enough for a year, or more of production. I did not mention TrilliumRV.com.

It looks like you could use a front window rock guard as well. Those you can get a TrilliumRV.com.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

Georgia
Well, it looks like the front rack is more substantial than I suspected. Either way it's got to go. I'd like to see detailed pics of the original tongue setup, please.

Dad came over and took the red shelf off of the kitchen. Looks complete but well-aged. If anybody can fix it, we can.

I'm seeing references to "rat fur"...?? What is it? I wanted to just paint the overhead a lighter color, but Dad says it'd be deafening in a good rain.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1245484190.jpg   image-3235000612.jpg  

image-731656416.jpg   image-2973579851.jpg  

image-424903977.jpg   image-772657650.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
The tongue looks OK. Everything, other then the two frame rails was added. They cut out the propane tank shelf, but that can be replaced. A grinder, and a new coupler, and you will be fine.
Below are some pictures that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium 4500 frame.jpg   Wedding Gift - Frame 02.jpg  

4500 coupler.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You might be looking at a complete front-frame rebuild there.

Maybe it's a trick of the camera, but the streetside rail on the tongue in the pic below looks either broken, cut away, or otherwise seriously compromised. The rack and center "beam" may actually contribute to what remains of structural support. I'd consult a competent welder before removing anything. Of course, if that's you- never mind!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Maybe it's a trick of the camera, but the streetside rail on the tongue in the pic below looks either broken, cut away, or otherwise seriously compromised.
I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw the picture, but I think what you are seeing is the light striking a cross member with the shadows of the expanded metal looking like a chunk of the frame is missing. The cross member is reversed front to back compared to the curb side piece.
As a note, it looks like the cross piece is welded to the frame reinforcement that was required to prevent cracks.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
You might be looking at a complete front-frame rebuild there.

Maybe it's a trick of the camera, but the streetside rail on the tongue in the pic below looks either broken, cut away, or otherwise seriously compromised. The rack and center "beam" may actually contribute to what remains of structural support. I'd consult a competent welder before removing anything. Of course, if that's you- never mind!

Francesca
You have me figured out- the welding and fab is the easy part for me! Did you see my other camper?
Attached Thumbnails
image-2276618333.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Georgia
I've been following the discussion and wondering about "front dinette". Will anything structural be compromised when I cut the center out of the fiberglass gaucho bench piece? I can see where the closet and kitchen are vertical structural members. Is the same true crossways?
I'd like to have front dinette, still convertible to a bed if needed.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
You have me figured out- the welding and fab is the easy part for me! Did you see my other camper?
Glad to hear it- and I love that little camper you made!

By the way- do you know what year the trailer is?

I ask because there was a recall of '73-'76 1300's due to frame weakness near the tongue upsweep. Fix was some plates welded to the siderails, and I don't see anything like that on yours. I think those plates came stock on later models...if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will weigh in and say so!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
I've been following the discussion and wondering about "front dinette". Will anything structural be compromised when I cut the center out of the fiberglass gaucho bench piece? I can see where the closet and kitchen are vertical structural members. Is the same true crossways?
I'd like to have front dinette, still convertible to a bed if needed.
I have seen people completely remove the gaucho, (freddo411). I don't think it serves any structural function, other then holding people off the floor.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #14

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Just three observations:
1- Trilliums are shipped with tore-flex type, not leaf springs. It makes the ride much smoother and greatly reduces the bouncing and chances of dangerous sway on bumpy curves. If you consider rebuilding the frame, you may just consider getting back to the original suspension design.
2- Overloading the front end is a receipe for disaster: Maximum tounge weight is and max overall load is calculated to prevent hitch attachment to separate and trailer frame from bending or failure, not to mention very poor handling on most towing vehicle.
3- The original frame appears to have been cut and crudely adapted for commercial purpose. Considering the Trillium frame weakest point is right at the bottom edge of the fiberglass front end, I would be extremely careful about rebulding the frame. If the original frame has been modified, it is made of very thin wall square steel tubing which is often corroded and cracked after 35 years. Welding thin and rusty steel is a welder's nightmare.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Glenn you have a monogrammed trailer. Just sew a big G on all your belongings and you'll be fine LOL! All kidding aside it is a pretty cool little trailer!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #16

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
[QUOTE=Martins HeirCon;373427

I'm seeing references to "rat fur"...?? What is it? I wanted to just paint the overhead a lighter color, but Dad says it'd be deafening in a good rain.[/QUOTE]

Trilliums did not have 'rat fur' on walls and ceiling. They are covered with ensolite, originally a light creamy colour. I can't tell from your pictures if the ensolite on your Trill has been removed or painted.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #17

Georgia
[QUOTE="lamimartin;373769"]Just three observations:

Thanks for your concern. I promise it will be better than ever when I'm finished.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #18

Georgia
Sorry, all. I'm using the Iphone app. And trying to figure out how to multi-quote.

Francesca: No, we don't know what year she is yet. Our state law only requires a bill of sale, and it's been registered with a state-assigned trailer VIN.

Noreen: thanks. My problem is that all of the ensolite has been removed and the fiberglass painted dark gray. I can see the original ensolite left inside the closet, I'm just wondering exactly what folks refer to when they say "rat fur". Is it like a car's headliner?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I believe it is somewhat like a car headliner, but also a close-nap carpet. I've only seen it in a Casita. It insulates and provides some sound-proofing to the inside of the camper. Ensolite does the same, as well as provide a cleanable surface. Ensolite is still available. I think David Tilston can tell you where.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No Casitas use a carpet-like material. Scamp has "Rat Fur" which is like a marine headliner material. It's soft, stretchy and doesn't grow mold. Scamp glues it over Reflectix a silvery bubble wrap material.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote