Generator mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Generator mount

I have a E2000I Honda Generator that I want to use for running the AC and battery charging while stopping overnight at rest areas, Walmart etc. and some boondocking. I don't want to mount it on the trailer because of vibration and monoxide concerns. My front box is being used for batteries, cords, hoses and chocks anyway. Right now I use the gen on the ground but in a rest area there are theft concerns.

I have a Low Pro lockdown anti theft base. I am considering welding it on a 2" piece of square tube that will be welded upright on the square tubing of the ball mount. The tongue will rotate under it. I have already checked for clearance. When I need to use the genset I can unhook the tow and move it anywhere within the cord reach. I will store the gen in the vehicle when traveling. I have a locking pin for the ball mount.

Anyone ever done this?
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
If I'm envisioning this correctly, that certainly should work but it sure seems like overkill. The EU2000 is small enough to store securely when not needed and I can't imagine someone stealing a genset while its running especially if it was secured with a simple cable lock to the tongue or vehicle. Maybe I'm just too trusting.

My EU3000 was mounted on the tongue of our 16' Scamp for a few years. After getting our 19'er, it now rides in the bed of the Tacoma. In both cases, the only security precaution was/is a cable lock. We often use rest areas when travelling and prefer public lands for camping and have not had a theft problem............yet.

If you don't mind sharing, what part of NC is home? We're off 64 between Rocky Mount and Tarboro.

Edit - We camped with a AZ couple who had a Lil Snoozy on the 17 Southern Utah Tour - Nice trailer. They carried a EU2000 in the bed of their truck but had a topper for security.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

North Carolina
Registry
I prefer a little more security than a cable. I already had the Lockdown. We used it in our truck bed until we changed to an Expedition. The couple with the LS was probably Dave and Paula, they are on the forum.

We live near Cashiers in Western NC.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #4

You're rigth, it was Dave and Paula - really good people. We enjoyed their company on that trip and hope to camp with them again soon.

Cashiers is a beautiful area. We're lucky to have both the mountains and the coast within a day's drive of home.

Please post back with pictures of the generator mount once you get it completed. As the years go by, that 3000 is getting harder and harder to move about and a smaller unit may well be in our future.

Hope to see you around sometime; we camp several times each year in Nantahala NF.

Al
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

North Carolina
Registry
I will get some photos. I am still mulling it over.

Maybe our paths will meet somewhere. Are you going to the “Eggs on the Hiawassie River” rally?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
We made an adjustable secure holddown for a LowPro Lockdown for a customer a few years back.

He wanted to secure it into the tow vehicle receiver. Might give you some ideas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104805...57647706506211
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I will get some photos. I am still mulling it over.

Maybe our paths will meet somewhere. Are you going to the “Eggs on the Hiawassie River” rally?
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Good luck.

We’re hoping to be back out west in the Yellowstone / Glacier area next June so no plans for the Hiawassie rally.

Al
Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

North Carolina
Registry
Thank you. We went to Glacier last year. St. Mary’s is a good campground in the park.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
We made an adjustable secure holddown for a LowPro Lockdown for a customer a few years back.

He wanted to secure it into the tow vehicle receiver. Might give you some ideas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104805...57647706506211

Hey thanks. Something similar might work. I wonder where his ball mount goes. Or was it for the front of the vehicle.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=Al & Cindy K;721032]You're rigth, it was Dave and Paula - really good people. We enjoyed their company on that trip and hope to camp with them again soon.

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Hey thanks. Something similar might work. I wonder where his ball mount goes. Or was it for the front of the vehicle.
He wanted to be able to put it into either his rear receiver on his Casita. or his rear receiver on his tow vehicle.
He wanted it to sit on the ground but be secure. Hence the adjustable vertical post.
In real use he had locking pins holding it together.
He just removed his tow ball/stinger when using.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #12

North Carolina
Registry
OK. I can envision that. I want to use mine on the vehicle and retain the use of the ball mount at the same time. I am going to try and avoid using an extension. The ball will be under the plate 6 or eight inches. I use a Quick Bite hitch so I don’t think hitching and releasing will be a problem. My main concern is vibration. The only way I will know is doing it.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	126057
Old 11-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #14

North Carolina
Registry
Generator mount

[ATTACH]126058
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0594.jpg  
Old 11-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #15

North Carolina
Registry
[ATTACH]126059
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0597.jpg  
Old 11-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
Here are pics. It seems to work good. I made sure it doesn’t hit the trailer when turning. I will keep the generator stored in the vehicle and use the mount when operating.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Do these Honda generators cause the trailer to vibrate enough to shake the trailer and be really annoying if they sitting on the trailer tongue while running? I know that it could potentialy vibrating if it was running rough not properly tuned or running on bad gas. But what if it is properly tuned up?

Do some of you run the Honda Generators while they are sitting on the tongue and have that issue? I have seen photos and videos with them installed on tongues and running while in that position but I have never come across any complaints about vibration in those articles before this thread. Of course not having seen such a complaint does not mean that there is no vibration, it might mean they expect it to have some vibration so they don't mention it as an issue.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #18

Charlie - Nice job!!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Charlie,

It looks like you had more fun than the law allows making that. Nice set up.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #20

North Carolina
Registry
Generator mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Do these Honda generators cause the trailer to vibrate enough to shake the trailer and be really annoying if they sitting on the trailer tongue while running? I know that it could potentialy vibrating if it was running rough not properly tuned or running on bad gas. But what if it is properly tuned up?

Do some of you run the Honda Generators while they are sitting on the tongue and have that issue? I have seen photos and videos with them installed on tongues and running while in that position but I have never come across any complaints about vibration in those articles before this thread. Of course not having seen such a complaint does not mean that there is no vibration, it might mean they expect it to have some vibration so they don't mention it as an issue.

Mine was on the tongue from the factory. I just couldn’t handle the vibration. I have a friend with that setup and it doesn’t bother him.

Tags
generator