Generator Mount Location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Texas
Generator Mount Location

I have an 85 16 ft Scamp.
I purchased a Honda EU 2000i generator and I am debating where to mount it. My preference is to mount it on the tongue using a rack welded from the tongue extending over the battery box. The trailer shop where I would be having the work done suggested that I should mount it at the rear where I have a luggage rack. Their feeling is that the front mount would present a fire hazard with the generator mounted next to the propane cylinder.I understand their point however I am concerned about weight bias with a rear mount.
Carrying the generator in the tow vehicle is out of the question as it is a Hyundai Santa Fe and would have to be carried inside.
I appreciate any thoughts or advice on this issue.
William Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Brown View Post
My preference is to mount it on the tongue using a rack welded from the tongue extending over the battery box. The trailer shop where I would be having the work done suggested that I should mount it at the rear where I have a luggage rack.
I don't have a generator, but I have observed that most people make a place for it on the tongue, by 4:1.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
109_7570.JPG   109_7556.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm curious why you bought the 2000 vs 1000? How many amps do you need?
ARe you permanently mounting it on the trailer or just carrying it for use off the trailer? Yes, I would not operate it while attached to the trailer, the noise and vibration and proximity to the propane is an issue.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I carried our Honda 2000 on the tongue of our Egg Camper for one 5000 mile trip. I had it covered with a propane tank cover. Even with the cover the generator got very dusty and dirty from wet roads and dirt roads. Now it rides in the back of the truck. If I ever put it on the tongue again it'll be inside a tongue box.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Texas
Generator mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I carried our Honda 2000 on the tongue of our Egg Camper for one 5000 mile trip. I had it covered with a propane tank cover. Even with the cover the generator got very dusty and dirty from wet roads and dirt roads. Now it rides in the back of the truck. If I ever put it on the tongue again it'll be inside a tongue box.

Thanks for the information. I am considering mounting it on the tongue and enclosing it with some sort of box. In order to deal with the safety and vibration issue I would remove it from the bracket and use it away form the trailer.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Do you know what your tongue weight is now? Do you have 2 propane tanks and a battery up front?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do you know what your tongue weight is now? Do you have 2 propane tanks and a battery up front?
I recently weighed it at 280 lbs. At the present time it has one group 27 battery on it and it will have a single large propane cylinder.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
So with a 60 lb gen plus another 30 lbs for tool box you are closing in on 400 lbs t/w. Have you given any thought to solar? With a luggage rack on rear with gear and 400 lbs on front, you maybe overloading your frame and your trailer.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Rubbermaid makes a tub that fits the Honda perfectly. We have carried ours in the SUV for thousands of miles with no odor, no problems.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Rubbermaid makes a tub that fits the Honda perfectly. We have carried ours in the SUV for thousands of miles with no odor, no problems.
I carried mine like that for quite a few years but got tired of lifting it in and out of the tow vehicle, having to chain it to the trailer and dragging the electric to it. I rarely used the generator, which I actually purchased mostly for the A/C.

Since mounting the generator on the tongue of the trailer with a dedicated electric cord running under the trailer, into the rear cabinet, with an outlet attached; I have more hours on the generator in the last 2 years than it ever had in the first 9 years.

Now when I want to use the generator all I do is plug the trailers electric cord into the outlet and crank up the generator. In addition everything is out of the elements.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Brown View Post
I have an 85 16 ft Scamp.
I purchased a Honda EU 2000i generator and I am debating where to mount it. My preference is to mount it on the tongue using a rack welded from the tongue extending over the battery box. The trailer shop where I would be having the work done suggested that I should mount it at the rear where I have a luggage rack. Their feeling is that the front mount would present a fire hazard with the generator mounted next to the propane cylinder.I understand their point however I am concerned about weight bias with a rear mount.
Carrying the generator in the tow vehicle is out of the question as it is a Hyundai Santa Fe and would have to be carried inside.
I appreciate any thoughts or advice on this issue.
I decided to put add a back porch for my generator. But ... being interested in safety while towing, I weighed my trailer (fully loaded); and also weighed the tongue; and the trailer and TV combined. I did consult with Frederick and he was extremely helpful.

I then researched the effects of adding the generator and "porch" to the back of the trailer. The danger of having too much weight in the back of the trailer is that the front will tend to lift up while under way, causing instability [a crash ]. You want to make sure that your trailer will handle the additional weight safely.

Also, think about where your fresh water tank is located. If you tow with a full H20 tank (I just keep a minimum amount of H20 on the road and fill up near my destination), you'll have to include that in your calculations.

If it is safe, a back porch is a great way to go. I made a cover for the generator. But a large trash bag and bungie cords will work just fine. I do not carry a gas can on the porch. I put gas in the generator close to my destination and manage to use most of it up before returning home.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I carried mine like that for quite a few years but got tired of lifting it in and out of the tow vehicle, having to chain it to the trailer and dragging the electric to it. I rarely used the generator, which I actually purchased mostly for the A/C.

Since mounting the generator on the tongue of the trailer with a dedicated electric cord running under the trailer, into the rear cabinet, with an outlet attached; I have more hours on the generator in the last 2 years than it ever had in the first 9 years.

Now when I want to use the generator all I do is plug the trailers electric cord into the outlet and crank up the generator. In addition everything is out of the elements.
That sounds like a good plan. I am in the same situation .Thanks

Tags
generator