Generator vibration on a Scamp trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: scamp
Texas
Generator vibration on a Scamp trailer?

I have a 19 foot Scamp gooseneck, and I am considering a Honda EU 3000 generator (I like the idea of the remote start). I would like to mount it on a platform behind the bumper. Does anyone know if a generator causes enough vibration inside the trailer to be bothersome?
Thanks

(I was thinking of mounting the generator at the rear of the trailer. The trailer has a cargo platform made of 1 and 1/4 inch angle iron that is bolted to the trailer frame. This platform is behind the rear bumper. I would like to put the generator there.)
mgully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Are you talking about mounting it on the platform where generally propane tanks go? I can't speak from experience but would assume it would vibrate some unless you had some type of rubber mounts that it was mounted on. Hopefully someone that has done this will jump in soon.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I would be a bit concerned about carbon monoxide infiltration if you are putting it/running it on a platform in back of the trailer. Scamps are not exactly air tight and that is kind of close. It would be better to mount it in the truck bed in front of the hitch if possible. That way it would be further away from the sleeping area and the vibration concern would be eliminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One certainly would not want to put it under the overhead bed area. In fact, the Honda 3000EU manual http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...X31ZT76221.pdf
states: (emphasis mine)

The exhaust system gets hot enough to ignite some materials.
Keep the generator at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from buildings
and other equipment during operation.
Do not enclose the generator in any structure.
Keep flammable materials away from the generator.

and it's a tad heavy to put on the back of the trailer. There is at least one person on the site that mentioned that he mounted a 3000EU in the back of his TV and just hooks his power cable to that when running.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The best gen. mount for a 5er I think was done by Kamper Bob. He welded a 2" reciever tube (from HF) to the gooseneck just below the deck. I think he used a small ATV cargo platform to mount the generator to. The generator set directly over your hitch.
Edit: He made is own dolly platform. I was going to use an ATV rack.
http://kamperbob.com/EU3kReceiver/
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgully View Post
I have a 19 foot Scamp gooseneck, and I am considering a Honda EU 3000 generator (I like the idea of the remote start). I would like to mount it on a platform behind the bumper. Does anyone know if a generator causes enough vibration inside the trailer to be bothersome?
Thanks

(I was thinking of mounting the generator at the rear of the trailer. The trailer has a cargo platform made of 1 and 1/4 inch angle iron that is bolted to the trailer frame. This platform is behind the rear bumper. I would like to put the generator there.)
That would work well for a genny mount but even with the rubber feet you will get a bit of vibration transfer inside. I don't find it a problem but I really don't run it much more than 15 minutes at a time. As far as fumes getting inside, think of the millions of RVs with onboard mounded units that exhaust down or just to the side and they aren't anymore air tight than our eggs. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having problems with CO from a genny though I guess it could happen. Your LP heater or stovetop would be much more a cause for CO concern IMO.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
On board generators, designed for enclosed compartment use, are (supposed to be) installed in a vented (usually metal lined) compartment and the exhaust system is designed to direct the exhaust down and away from the underside of the trailer or motorhome. The exhausts on the Honda and , I believe, all other portable generators, exhausts out the side at some level above the base. And me thinks that Honda is onto something with their 3 ft minimum recommendation.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
enuf said...
Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #9

Name: Totie Fan
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
West Coast
I have a 20' Class C (I'm also rehabbing a 13' Tote n' Tarry)...well my Class C has an Onan Generator which is spendy, weighs...hmmm maybe up to 3-400 pounds, puts out a considerable amount of exhaust which although piped to the outside still manages to get in, I never use it and I'm considering selling it.
That's my 2 cents!
Tote-n-Tarry No.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carbon Monoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
On board generators, designed for enclosed compartment use, are (supposed to be) installed in a vented (usually metal lined) compartment and the exhaust system is designed to direct the exhaust down and away from the underside of the trailer or motorhome. The exhausts on the Honda and , I believe, all other portable generators, exhausts out the side at some level above the base. And me thinks that Honda is onto something with their 3 ft minimum recommendation.
Our Motorhome had a generator mounted in a metal lined, vented compartment. It worked fine until one still day when the generator's exhaust accumulated under the motorhome and managed to infiltrate the motorhome setting off the carbon monoxide detector. We added a 6 foot extension to the exhaust output after that and no longer had the problem.

I admit the Scamp is tighter than the motorhome however when ever I use a generator with our Scamp I locate the generator away from the Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We have a 3000 watt Yamaha Generator mounted on the tongue. We can barely hear it and can't feel any vibrations. Never experienced any exhaust problems.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Always follow the generator safety instructions and place the unit the prescribed distance from the RV to avoid being Carbonmonixide to death.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, scamp