Getting my Scamp 13 ready, repairs, modifications, and mistakes. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Shawn, I'll probably make my own fixtures to fit the area I'm putting them in. Have a stock of old desk lamp parts for goosenecks and shades. That way I'm sure that I'm getting what I want. I think the closest store to me is Philly, and I very rarely go down there.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Rain, rain, roll away

Now THIS is what I like to see! Beading better than my truck, see how long it lasts.

water2 - YouTube
Attached Files
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #23

Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Kansas
Oh! This looks amazing! You have done a fantastic job!

Could you please explain more about this BKF and Zep that you mentioned? What is it and how is it used exactly?
We have just purchased a Minit and it is in dire need of attention. I am wondering if this would work for ours as it has done for you.

Also, I like the look of the cloth inside yours better. We have the ensolite in ours and it is detached in some of the places. We are working on repairing it.

Any advice you can give is so much appreciated. I am truly interested in this BKF and Zep stuff you mention. Where do I get it?
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #24

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Wow, you did a terrific job! As a newbie here I am re-inspired, was getting bogged down but there is hope. Your documentation is really helpfull for us new guys. Super pictures. Glad to know I need to wash all those micro-fiber clothes. (Last month I learned I need to wash from the bottom up )
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by llco87 View Post
Oh! This looks amazing! You have done a fantastic job!

Could you please explain more about this BKF and Zep that you mentioned? What is it and how is it used exactly?
We have just purchased a Minit and it is in dire need of attention. I am wondering if this would work for ours as it has done for you.

Also, I like the look of the cloth inside yours better. We have the ensolite in ours and it is detached in some of the places. We are working on repairing it.

Any advice you can give is so much appreciated. I am truly interested in this BKF and Zep stuff you mention. Where do I get it?
Lesa, this thread is long but worth reading through- Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell... Short version you can buy the Zep- Step #3 "Wet-Look Floor Finish" at Lowe's or HD ($24.95/gal), as well as Barkeeper's Friend. The process is pretty straightforward, just a lot of elbow grease. I was going to make a video of both the BKF/Zep process and re-gluing the headliner, but videos take a lot of time to plan and edit and I think both procedures are simple enough to explain without video. It will certainly work for your Minit. I've been following your threads, looks like it was used as a "race camper" which sometimes means "flophouse on wheels". Once you get the outside ready, pick a dry day and go to town. Only thing I can add to what's already been said about BKF/Zep is to work in the shade like any car finish work, and work in small areas with the BKF, rinsing frequently and well. If you let it sit too long, it sticks on the fiberglass, I just used a clean sponge to wipe it as I rinsed.

I used a leaf blower to get any standing water out of crevices, then let it dry for a couple hours. I have a 4-section "wonder ladder" that I set up as a scaffold to work on the roof. Might be too wobbly if you're not comfortable on ladders and such. I kept a dry clean towel on hand when I was doing the roof, I used it to protect the (dry) finish when I needed to lean out to reach the center of the roof.

Buy a whole box of nitrile gloves, I get the black ones from the auto parts store. If you need to take the gloves off for any reason, stretching them peels the Zep off the glove and would make a mess if you tried to reuse them. Put the Zep in a very clean dish soap bottle, makes it easier to dispense. And always turn AWAY from the trailer to put more Zep on the cloth, will keep you from getting drips or splatters.

Right before I started the Zep, I cleaned the dust and bug specks off with a cloth dampened with homemade windex (ammonia, water, and alcohol, no surfactants) and with a dry lint-free cloth in between coats. There are still some specks in the finish, as there will be any time you apply a finish outside, but I am planning on doing something to smooth it even more, either a clay bar or even wet-sanding with 2500 grit paper then a coat of wax. Have to determine which, if any, waxes will not strip the Zep.

The cloth in the Scamps is marine headliner fabric, called "rat fur" here. I like the quilted stuff in your egg, definitely worth saving if possible. The 3M 90 works great, but it needs to be used as a 2-surface bond, or contact cement. The trick is how long to let it dry before sticking it. Follow the directions on the can and try it on some other things first, just be aware that the temp/humidity will have an effect on the open time. If you want to buy a roller, get a J-roller used for laminates or a weighted roller that is used for EPDM roof seams. For the "bubbles" it might be tough, because you need to get to the back which means pulling more off than is already loose. I was lucky that I had seams to work from. Forgot to add- If you're working inside the trailer with the adhesive, get and wear an organic vapor respirator, lots of nasty solvents that WILL cause damage to your lungs even with short-term exposure.

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helps. Lot of clever folks here to answer your questions, probably better than I can.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by partslady9 View Post
Wow, you did a terrific job! As a newbie here I am re-inspired, was getting bogged down but there is hope. Your documentation is really helpfull for us new guys. Super pictures. Glad to know I need to wash all those micro-fiber clothes. (Last month I learned I need to wash from the bottom up )
Elaine
Thanks, Elaine. If you want to learn about cleaning/detailing vehicles, check out Autogeek.net, they have all kinds of instructions plus supplies. Learn about the "two-bucket method" for washing, keeps grit from scratching your vehicle. I grew up in a car dealership, my summer job was detailing and reconditioning cars. When I was 15, I started buying beater trades from my dad and flipping them (didn't even know it was called "flipping" back then!). I made enough to buy my first 2 vehicles, fix them, and pay my own insurance and gas through high school. Amazing that a $300 dollar car could turn into a $1,000 dollar car with a day or two of work.

Considering how little I paid for my Scamp, it has crossed my mind to sell it, but I doubt I'll find another in this condition for the low price. Rather have this one than a little extra money in my pocket. Now, if I could trade up to a Casita 17, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if it needed some work. In about 6 years, we are planning to go full-time with a larger unit.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Some work, some don't!

In between bringing home and installing a new kitchen range, I plugged the shore power cord in this weekend and tested the fridge and converter, the only two things I hadn't tried. The fridge gets really cold, both on AC and LP, so that's a big check off the list.

The converter seems to not be charging the battery, will have to investigate further. I know my battery is done, but my standalone charger will bring it to 12.5 volts and it will stay there at least overnight. Battery was at 10.4 volts on Sunday morning, after being plugged into shore power until 7 pm, the battery was still at 10.5 volts. No fuses blown, have to look up more information on my converter, maybe it has a cutoff if the battery voltage is too low?

I had removed a mouse nest from the camper when I picked it up, and later found 2 dead baby mice in a cabinet. Went crazy cleaning and deodorizing, slept in the camper Saturday night, still getting a hint of a nasty smell. Well, I traced it down Sunday, found another dead one on top of the wheel well under the furnace. Another round of sanitizing and deodorizing, camper now smells fine and my mind is easier now that I'm certain I've poked and looked into EVERY crevice in the trailer.

Lots of little stuff, tried placement on a few LED lights, packing list got longer, and got a set of measurements for window awnings. Need to get to the RV store soon to get butyl tape and awning rail, among other things. Also painted the bunk poles white, and sealed the front window where the rubber doesn't quite meet at the bottom. Ordering tires this week, found a local shop that got me a better price and guaranteed fresh tires. Will replace/pack bearings when I switch the tires.

Stopped at Harbor Freight on Saturday, they had their "Parking Lot Sale" which was pretty sad, maybe 30 items in a tent in the corner of the parking lot. Needed a few other items, they didn't have any of the suction grabbers, and also didn't have a couple other things I needed. Did pick up a few rolls of cold-shrink tape and some more air fittings that I needed. Wife is shopping for curtain fabric and small rugs.

First "trip" is in 2 weeks, going to be close to home so if I need something, I can come back and get it. Raining like crazy now so I'll be working in the shop today.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #28

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
The converter seems to not be charging the battery, will have to investigate further. I know my battery is done, but my standalone charger will bring it to 12.5 volts and it will stay there at least overnight. Battery was at 10.4 volts on Sunday morning, after being plugged into shore power until 7 pm, the battery was still at 10.5 volts. No fuses blown, have to look up more information on my converter, maybe it has a cutoff if the battery voltage is too low?
Do you get electricity from the battery? I had a similar problem, it took me a while to figure that for some reason there are 2 in-line fuses at the + line coming from the battery, one at the battery and one under the bunk, and than there is a 3rd one for the line in the fuse box. The plugs for the fuse under the bunk were corroded and the fuse in the fuse box was blown, only after I found these 2 I got it to charge.
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Fuses and holders are good, all 12v lights work, just don't have any current getting to the battery from the converter. If it ever stops raining, I'll trace it out with a meter and see where the problem is. Not really upset, the converter will be replaced by a better charger and supply. The fridge was the big worry I had, and it works great so one less item on my "major" list. Also once it's dry I gotta make up a material list for the window awnings, plus fiddle around with my screen room to see how I can set it up or alter it to work with the camper. Will give me something to do next Friday when I pretty much have all day to set up and fool around with stuff, probably no one else will show up until the afternoon, and Field Day doesn't start until Saturday afternoon.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Also, got a list together of all the bits and bobs I need to install a Raspberry Pi. Also installing a wifi extender/access point. Enables me to share my phone hotspot more than a few feet, or pick up a weak signal and rebroadcast it. Also using it for networking our logging at Field Day, so I gotta get that one done.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
More problems...

In between the rain over the last week or so, I've been trying the rest of the systems, plus got a leak test to beat all. Found out the front window is leaking quite a bit around the welt. Also the stove window is leaking even though it is totally sealed and bolted in the closed position. Got one leak on the front window fixed, just have to work the solution until it stops. Also found that one of the rivets for the sewer hose tube is just butted up against the outside, the hole in the fiberglass is totally open, missed the hole by 1/2" at the factory.

Also, need to disassemble and clean the LP burner on the fridge, that won't light at all. Not a big issue.

Another annoyance but not world-ending is finding out that my converter is dead. Going to move up the replacement ahead of some "nice to have" items.

Friend was stripping another camper, gave me the small microwave that was in it. Not sure if I'll ever put it in the Scamp, might just warm my drinks in the shop.

One week until the first trip away from home (sort of), getting things packed and ready to go in as soon as I get the leaks stopped. Going Saturday to get supplies like butyl tape and awning rail. Also going to get more rivets and order some washers and caps. As soon as I have the butyl, I'll be working through replacing all of the exterior rivets. Moving the project forward.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #32

Name: Lesa
Trailer: Minit
Kansas
Thank you so much for your reply. I love this site and am getting ideas right and left.
I think I will try to find the 3M 90 and use it to reattach the quilted material.
We will do what we can with it.
There are some places where it is discolored but we have cleaned it and hopefully it will be fine for the time being.

We cannot for the life of us get the smell out of the camper. I have cleaned, cleaned and sprayed odor remover in there over and over and still it smells.
I cannot believe how someone would blatantly mistreat such a wonderful little camper.

we keep working on it though. I will be posting photos soon.
llco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lesa, I don't know what the smell is... pet urine on the floor? But some folks have had success by spreading BBQ charcoal briquets in cabinets or saturating cotton balls with vinegar, putting those in a cup and putting several cups around the trailer. Both solutions seem to work in a couple of days of "warm" weather. If the smell is in the carpet, foam, upholstery or curtains.. they either need to be really cleaned or replaced.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Lesa, I feel for you on the smell! I have removed a couple deceased rodents and I've used everything short of Plutonium to get the smell out. My best friend stopped the other day to check out the trailer, after we'd been inside a few minutes I asked him if he smelled anything, maybe like a dead mouse. He said he didn't, I'm associating the smell of the cleaners I used with the smell so much that I still smell it when it's not there.

After the 3" of rain we had, and the front window leaking, I went all out today to dry things out. I tried my dehumidifier, which seems to work for 30 minutes then quits, then I put an electric heater and two fans in the camper, and cracked the roof vent a little. Had it up to 105 and the humidity down to 30% in a few hours. Just checked in there when I got home (going to sleep out there tonight), and no smell other than a faint cleaner smell. So keep it warm and dry, it will fade eventually. I asked before if anyone had used zeolite to absorb odors in a camper, no reports yet.

The good thing about vinegar is that once it dries, there is no smell left. I use it instead of fabric softener in the washer, it really makes clothes not smell at all, and no vinegar smell when they come out of the dryer. If you think it might be pet odors/urine, get either Petzyme or Nature's Miracle, they take a looong time to work, but they do work eventually. Petzyme is the only thing I've found that really gets rid of cat urine smell, which I can't stand. Hopefully have some more progress pictures tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
I think I figured out why my front window is leaking, when I reglued the rat fur, it came up short, but was tucked into the window gasket before. I think that the rat fur pulled the gasket tight enough to the fiberglass to (mostly) seal it up, and since it's not in there anymore, the gasket has enough movement to leak. The water is running in at the top, along the gasket, then dripping out of the side where the body tapers out. Not sure the best way to reseal it. Really not looking forward to pulling the window, but if that's what needs to be done, guess I'll have to.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Been a while since I updated things, maybe I can keep everything straight without repeating myself.

I had another thread where I was rebuilding the stove window, which turned out pretty well.

Here it is before:

With the window out and all the goop cleaned off:

And, after:

Still need to clean the LP burner on the fridge, it lights but doesn't heat enough to cool the fridge. Also need to work on the tow lights/cable, need new wheels/tires, battery, and some paint on the tongue and frame. Replacing the sink drain and trap, and trying to figure out a better fresh water fill that won't leak, either into the camper or into the tank.

Took the egg for its first outing away from home, only had to drive 2 blocks and up the access road to the old fairgrounds behind my house, we operate for amateur radio Field Day up there, and make a good time of it. Here is the Scamp right after I pulled in. Looks like the hitch is high, but it's actually sitting on a little ridge.

Pictures of it all set up are on the other camera, might get some up later. Everything went well, I set my 9x13 screen tent up against the camper, it worked OK, but not great. If it had rained, the screen tent would have been pretty useless, need to get to work on both the side awning and window awnings before our trip to Maine. We had generators running pretty much 24/7 all weekend, so I ran the fridge on AC power. I added a DC power cable to the rear upper cabinet, ran a wireless router for our computer logging, plus the coax plug fits a set of speakers that I have, so we'll have music inside when we want. Very happy with how it all works, had lots of people checking out the egg and lots of compliments, especially after I showed them the "before" pictures!

It's in the 90's this week, so trying to do some work inside the house, but will probably get the wheels I want this weekend and get some tires mounted up. Going to replace/repack the bearings while the wheels are off, and coat the frame in Chassis Saver, with a coat of paint over it on the exposed tongue and rear bumper.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #37

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Your Scamp looks great!
Here's a dumb question- what is BKF, and where do you buy it?
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Your Scamp looks great!
Here's a dumb question- what is BKF, and where do you buy it?
I'll answer since this post is about four months old. BKF = Bar Keepers Friend. Folks use it to thoroughly clean the gelcoat before ZEP. I use it in the SS sink of my trailer too. I buy BKF at my local grocery store, next to the other sink cleaners like Comet. <$5 here in Portland, Oregon. Some people have found it (State side) at the big box stores or Bed, Bath & Beyond...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp