Glad I checked the mounting bolts today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Colorado
Glad I checked the mounting bolts today

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1429987241.568986.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	83111 we've had this camper for a year now and I've neglected to check this. We've been talking about next year plans on refinishing the frame, welding reinforcement of some sort to the front of the frame (70's Trillium recall) and installing a new axle. Taking a look under today I noticed a mounting bolt missing up front. It had snapped off at the head. I then went around and checked the rest of the bolts and they all snapped off with a quarter turn. Lowes trip!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Looks like a good reason to use hot dipped galvanized or stainless steel bolts. If Lowes has any unistrut they may also have square washers that are probably about the same size as what you have pictured.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hello,

Ran into the same problem on my 1978 trillium.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lts-38208.html

Old trailers are fun AND full of surprises!

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Colorado
We picked up some bolts, washers and nuts yesterday. Lowes didn't have the 5/16"x4 1/2" in stainless so I may check Tru Value today. I'll take this as an introduction to working with the frame/mounting for when we pull the frame next year.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
You may have trouble finding stainless locally. McMaster Carr is the worlds finest hardware store and great to deal with:

McMaster-Carr
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #6

Colorado
Glad I checked the mounting bolts today

You're right! Couldn't find those bolts longer than 4". I'll roll with what we have until we pull the frame next year. McMC is where all of our solar rail system hardware came from actually. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
You're right! Couldn't find those bolts longer than 4". I'll roll with what we have until we pull the frame next year. McMC is where all of our solar rail system hardware came from actually. Good stuff!

I ran into the same problem. Every one carried 3/8" and 1/2" in stainless but no 5/16". You will most likely have to order. Mcmaster Carr is great. I'm a big fan. But on most hardware the only sell by the box. I doubt you need 50 of them. Check for sure. Best store front on line.

You could drill out to 1/2" which is really not that much bigger. I chose not to. I went to bolt depot.

https://www.boltdepot.com/

Good service but the reason I went with them was they were close, which kept the shipping down. Hardware is are heavy, which I'm sure you know.

Not to cause undue alarm but considering the rust on the bolts you removed, you might want to check the plywood floor in that area. Just a thought, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Try your local Fastenal store. Mine has all kinds of SS hardware.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Another option you might try is "allthread" which is metal rods in various diameters that is threaded the entire length and has to be cut to length with a hacksaw. Any hardware store worth its salt carries it and some have it in stainless. You use a nut on each end and if it was me I would use nylock nuts so I wouldn't have to worry about them coming loose.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Marine stores usually carry lots of stainless fasteners.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Colorado
Thanks for the input everyone! Who would've thought those bolts would be that hard to find. We do have a local Fastenal. Will check there next.
P.Raz, I thought of drilling out the holes for a bigger bolt as well but I'm going to wait until we restore the frame next year to decide on that.
Also, pulling up and redoing the floors is on the list of many things to do. I'm not sure how many layers of wood and flooring are in this thing. I only know the floor was replaced a few years ago. That could just mean the finish wood though, not sure. We'll dig into that at some point. Having gone all out on the solar project this spring, installing a 2" coupler, a new tongue jack and then ordering a new 12v fridge, we may just hold off on additional bigger projects for a bit.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #12

Trailer:
I would replace those bolts if it were my trailer too. But my outsider's observation is that no-one here has reported anything happening due to corroded/missing body fasteners (other than difficulty in getting them out).

As a result when there was a discussion on the teardrop forum about how much body-frame fastening was required, I suggested that as long as you chewed some gum before placing it on the frame under the body, that would be enough....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
I'm not sure how many layers of wood and flooring are in this thing. I only know the floor was replaced a few years ago. That could just mean the finish wood though, not sure.
I see that you have a Trillium 1300. Other then new floor covering, a new floor would be difficult.
The bottom of your trailer is a sandwich of fibreglass, plywood, and fibreglass. The top layer of fibreglass is the same fibreglass as your furniture. It forms a double shell on the bottom of the trailer. The bottom layer of fibreglass is the shell of the trailer itself. The plywood is put down before the inner layer of fibreglass. Then they put the top half of the trailer on.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
SS is great but maybe a bit of over kill in this circumstance. If mild steel lasted 40 years maybe some new galvanized hardware would do for another 60? I can just hear the conversation in the future: "dang bolts rusted through on my 100 year old FGRV, dadgum that previous owner!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

Colorado
You have a point! 6 bolts doesn't sound like much holding the body onto the frame but if those rusty bolts held on for 40 years, we're probably good with any bolts as a replacement.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just an FYI, on a Trillium 4500, there are 8 bolts. Four bolts in the gaucho, two under each dinette seat.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
If it was me, I would drill 5/16 out to 3/8. No problem finding 3/8 fasteners!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #18

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
SS is great but maybe a bit of over kill in this circumstance. If mild steel lasted 40 years maybe some new galvanized hardware would do for another 60? I can just hear the conversation in the future: "dang bolts rusted through on my 100 year old FGRV, dadgum that previous owner!"
When I worked in factory maintenance, we had a rule of thumb that if it survived four years, replace it with carbon steel, if not, use stainless.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
WOW that's scary. So I guess I need to get hubby to check those to since our Bigfoot is a 1984-85. Now I wonder WHERE those bolts would be on ours.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I would be hesitant to drill the front bolt holes larger as that is the weak point on the frame where it has broken on so many Trillium's. I suspect your original bolts broke after 40 years of corrosion and new 5/16 will last another 40 years.

Doug L