Guess what I'm using for insulation! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #15

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
.... Do you have a recommendation for the glue?
Sorry but no. I bet that whatever other were using for insolite would work well

Quote:
.....Thanks for the hint about only cutting half way thru, it makes sense....
I haven't done it that way - the foam bends easily and conforms nicely to simple bends. It just that when you lay it on a compound curved surface, the edges are no longer straight / square to each other so, it's fun fitting another tiles around - the jigsaw no longer fits. To compensate for that, the easiest way I found was to sometimes cut off the jigsaws on neighbouring tiles and cut edges on angles as necessary to have good fit. Sometimes, all what's necessary was to cut off a triangle in a middle of a tile and sometimes it's a combination of pasting in small pieces into gaps...
The best knife for cutting the tiles was a very sharp (fishing) filleting knife. Box cutters did not give me nice edges.

Quote:
..... I'm not sure how to handle the lump that is the band around the trailer maybe notch out or build up? I'm just about ready to start.
Patti
I don't know how big the lump it is and whether it has relatively sharp or curved edges. If the curve is gentle (>1" rad.), the tile will easily comply and follow the contour. For sharper turns that are sticking out more than 1/2" you may want to build up with a 2" wide strip in the corner using an off-cut. For smaller bumps... I just ignored them. If they are smaller than the thickness of a tile, I guess notching the tile on the back would work nicely but, I haven't done it.
To match the cuts to window frames and other protruding parts, I just pressed a tile against it. It made a bit of an impression that I quickly marked with a pencil. Quickly because the impression disappears within a minute or less... For some other places to cut the tiles, I used a piece of cardboard that I would cut by trial and error to match and make a pattern.Sometimes I cut the cardboard too much so, I'd glue (double sided tape) another piece of cardboard to it. So far, we put into it 20-30 hours and still have to finish the red wall and the front wall and the wall to the right of the door but, Jubilee is a square egg with many "steps" in the shell. I'm guessing that to do a Boler, it would take me about a third of that time and for a Uhaul maybe a bit more than half the time.

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
I was thinking of doing a temporary install of this on my burro floor when taking camping trips with my dog to protect the new rug that I just installed. So when the trip is done I can remove it.

I found some multi colored sheets in a pack at kmart and was ready to purchase them when I noticed the awful smell and off gasing of the material.

I'm wondering if the brand people are using also smelled when first opened and then diminished with time. If so, how much time? If not then what brands are you using that don't smell.

As it is now, I could not inhabit the burro with such a stench.

So all opinions, appreciated!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #17

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
I bought mine at Canadian Tire. On the package it said something about possible smell for the first couple of days after opening the package. Well, because of all the glue and paint around and such, I couldn't smell anything after opening the packages.
Just yesterday we went to pack some stuff to the trailer - our Tadoussac trip is coming up. For the last week, closed trailer was baking in full sunlight on the parking lot of the storage place. We opened the door and............................................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................... there was absolutely no smell other than the... well, it was a blast of hot air from an oven! Mind you, our pads were sitting (unpacked) for couple of months before we actually used them and the packaging isn't air tight so they did have a chance to air.
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I bought the dark gray colored ones from Costco and never noticed any smell. Maybe the colorful ones smell more? I don't know if they're still carried at Costco though.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I bought the dark gray colored ones from Costco and never noticed any smell. Maybe the colorful ones smell more? I don't know if they're still carried at Costco though.
Thanks Thomas, that is encouraging!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 1980 Burro
I am not sure what type of material these foam tiles are made from, but many types of foam are very flammable and give off noxious fumes and thick smoke if ignited. In homes, flammable foam insulation is typically required to be covered with a non-flammable surface because of this. If the foam is flammable, it should not be located close to any propane burning appliance. I hope everyone stays safe.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #21

Thanx Andy...good to know!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #22

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Check on Amazon as I recently saw those tiles in a wood-grain look that would be really nice on walls.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #23

Thanks Bobbie. I found it on amazon and that looks way cool! Might have to try it out since I have a credit a amazon I could use.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #24

I'm reading the reviews and came across this: "My only complaint is that they scratch easily from my dog's nails. However, in my opinion, they are more for function than looks."

So it may not work for me because I wanted to get the foam tiles to protect my rug from my dog and she probably would scratch these up with her long airedale nails.

Still thinking about it.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
a fellow with a Trillium here in town did his whole trailer in the multi coloured ones and mixed and not matched, looks not bad.... But.
I used these tiles to do a repair in corner of my tril and used contact cement worked fine. Had to do some fancy cutting in the upper corner but turned out great. I painted over with a flat latex and yes if you scratch it the paint will mark. Porbably should have used a primer base coat.
Ron
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #26

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
What are the exposed floor dimensions of the Scamp 16? I am looking at laying down these

Amazon.com: We Sell Mats Wood Grain Interlocking Foam Anti Fatigue Flooring 2'x2'x3/8" Tiles: Office Products

then a rug runner over that to minimize wear.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #27

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I am also wondering if it would be feasible to:

1) Take the carpet up
2) Lay down closed cell foam on the exposed floor
3) Lay down Pergo on top of that

To provide some insulation - warmer floor in the winter, soft(er) feel but purty.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #28

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Any feedback on these tiles as time goes on?