Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Personal defense against bears would require a bit more in the way of caliber than you're contemplating, so absolutely no reason at all I can see to display a medium or big game rifle unless you're in the correct place and season to go hunting.
jack
Around my neck of the woods where black bears are a very common sight the only weapon we are taught to use by our local authorities is our loud voices and banging pots and pans..... works well. Your more likely to be hit by a car crossing the street than be attached by a black bear.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmm i was instantly thinking a turret with a pair of m-60 s,,,but i always was a little bit overkill.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
My husband wants to get me a Judge. Not that I don't have anything already. We don't live in an area of violent crime but he and my son both work out of town during the week and dog is 14 which makes her older then Phyllis Diller.
this would not be the best place to advertise that information, do you want me to delete it?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
this would not be the best place to advertise that information, do you want me to delete it?
actually,,,, might not be a bad idea to have everyone think all those crazy camping folks are armed... if its true or not.

actually we had a bear in our camp last spring.. he knocked over someones pots and pans and took off running from the noise.

not saying if a carry or not, but i have never worried about bad guys or critters,,, the moment i start i will stay home.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Back in the old days, about 10 years ago , it was not uncommon for 50 black bears or more to be shoot in the District where I live. Fortunately times have changed and now educating people in regards to living in harmony with the bears has become the norm and few bears are shoot but lots of people are fined for putting out attractants. They only shoot (about 2 a year) black bears when they have been tagged as a problem bear which unfortunately is normally the result of a people problem - ie people leave their garbage outside or put bird feeds out and the bears return to the property time and time again looking for food and they will very occasionally become overly protective of their finds, but the vast majority will just run if yelled at.

More than a few bears have been known to go shopping at Safeway or the local pizza joint and helped themselves to what ever they can reach and lived to tell their friends about it.

Lots of good information as to what to do if you encounter a black bear can be found here.

Black bears are also know to really like pools and hot tubes when the weather is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Bear in Pool.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
On living in "harmony" I lived in a small rural city, mostly farming with a little manufacturing in the area. During the housing boom a lot of cornfields went condo and marginal land was built on. Including the little ridge of high ground along the edge of swamp across the road from us.

Now the first of three houses built there was by a local resident who was a builder, but the second was someone from the "big city" that wanted to move to the "country". The two neighbors were having a conversation, and the builder commented on how nice it was that he was allowed to deer hunt the swamp in the back yard, the city couple was most horrified by this and firmly stated "I better not hear you shooting our deer that we feed!" the builder thought for a moment and replied "don't think you'll hear a darn thing, I bow hunt. And really appreciate the bait pile you folks are providing."

It was sort of funny, the melon farmer down the road is getting a dozen extra deer tags to thin the herd eating his crop, and these people are putting out piles of apples and corn to feed the same deer.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
getting off subject now....
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Good post, Carol. I don't have any experience with bears in the Pacific Northwest, but my experience of black bear behavior in the Great Smokies and upper N Y State conforms to what Carol states. I also have no experience of Grizzlies, but from what I'm told, an Alaskan Grizzly can be a cat of a different stripe as they say of polecats. I'm also told that Alaskan guides and fishermen do give a bit of thought to the "it or me" scenario and carry large bore revolvers (.50 cal) precisely designed for close quarters defense. I wouldn't want to get that close! Crop damage and attendant nuisances with deer in highly-populated areas is a different and very common problem. Clearly a species with no "natural" enemies except overpopulation and disease invites human "predation" and justifiably so imo. The fact that humans eliminated the predators has little bearing on this except that it created another problem to be solved. Yotes I don't care for in every context imaginable. In other contexts, I wouldn't have much use for possums with a taste for white meat. About the only "problem" I have is rabbits in the garden. Tough to get em in a Hav-a-heart trap (you'll get 10 jays, twenty squirrel, and four groundhogs before you have your bunny). I resort to Marigold borders. Unfortunately, one legal code governing all has consequences which will lead one to desire 52 which have some regard for the local situation.

jack
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Around my neck of the woods where black bears are a very common sight the only weapon we are taught to use by our local authorities is our loud voices and banging pots and pans..... works well. Your more likely to be hit by a car crossing the street than be attached by a black bear.
We have 5 bears in the woods behind our house ,1 male 1 female and three cubs. They climb my wood pile , climb on mine and my neighbors decks , scratched our vehicle and torn a few things up (Screen doors).. I called the State of Wisconsin , the local DNR and the Wisconsin State bear control officer and got the same message . " DO NOT store bird seed , garbage or anything that's an attractant outdoors and that the bears are protected and may not be harmed in any way . They want you to eliminate the reasons the bears are coming on to your property before they eliminate the bears The DNR recommended an air horn like you use at a hockey game to scare the bears away
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
LOL yup its interesting when you start to mix people with nature. The latest gardening crazy is putting bee hives in the garden - guess what the bears love them! Then people new to the area who put bee hives in their gardens get mad when they call the conservation officers expecting the bear to be shoot or relocated but instead are told welcome to bear country we dont shoot them and if we come to your home we may fine you for putting out a bear attractant. The people with the bee hive will argue it by saying "but we live in a city & its not safe". They get the response yes its the city but it was built in the middle of bear country & its your responsibility to "keep the bears safe" by not attracting them into your yard.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I always figured I could avoid most problems with a clean camp, secured food storage away from sleeping area. When backpacking we would hang the food bag away from the tent on a line thrown over a high tree branch. Most if not all the food is in the back of the TV not the camper when in wilderness areas. And most of the bear country in Mich. that we would camp in bears are hunted with dogs, and people train the dogs in the NF so bears are also trained to some extent to run from dogs, we have a dog which may be something of a discouragement.

Back on the subject of the gun rack, if there is a place to put a cabinet I would give that solution some extra consideration. Both to better hide the firearms and since storage is always at a premium an extra closet could handle other duties, a gun rack but one.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
hmmm i was instantly thinking a turret with a pair of m-60 s,,,but i always was a little bit overkill.
LOL.............
That's why I said it might attract attention.

Practically speaking, I was thinking of a defense peg of sorts.

But at the same time I was imagining turrets on top of a snoozy (or any egg) to match the turrets on my tacoma. But will have to develop a invisible bubble to hide the entire rig. If you can "think" it you can "do" it. Especially if you can lobby to get your hands on everyone else's money. $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #27

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
My neighbor full timing this past winter had a M4/AR-15 automatic rifle variant (assault rifle! Oh my!) proudly, prominently displayed in the living room of his large rear engined coach. I never checked, but I bet that could be seen from outside. He travels around quite a bit state to state.

Not recommending that, just adding a data point. At least some people do it.