Gun mounts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Gun mounts

Thought the title might get some attention........lol.

I was thinking today about gun racks we used to have in just about every pickup in school and on the farms. Then I was pondering how I might fix a mount for a rifle over a sleeping area.

I'm eyeing the Lil Snoozy so it would be relatively simple (I'm thinking) to put a rifle rack over the bed area on the back side of the beam over the bed. Or even build a one gun cabinet on the back side of the stanchion.

Course it would be simple to just stash a pistola under a pillow.

I hope I'm not violating any issue of this web site. Just thinking out loud.
If I am I apologize and this can be deleted.

I won't ask if anyone has done this already so "big brother" won't get any brilliant ideas. I do have a "Circuit Judge" that would be perfect in a application like this. I've only shot it once when I first got it a couple years ago.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm not sure about either US gun laws or the Lil snoozy,
I'm from the Great White North.

Having been in a number of trailers, I see no reason you could not come up with a closet mod to fit your rifle.

Different strokes for different folks. A number of people here have removed the hunting camoflage from their antique trailers.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband has been threatening me for years about where to hang the gun rack. It's bad enough he and the boys think the roof hatches would make a perfect place to shoot deer from.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm not sure about either US gun laws or the Lil snoozy,
I'm from the Great White North.

Having been in a number of trailers, I see no reason you could not come up with a closet mod to fit your rifle.

Different strokes for different folks. A number of people here have removed the hunting camoflage from their antique trailers.
There was a post a few days ago about a bear breaking into their trailer and tearing apart might be a good idea for that
Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would mostly be concerned with a firearm being visible from outside the trailer. That would be a tempting target for theft and could also lead to undesired complications with the law enforcement community if they happened to see it in a rest area or routine traffic stop. Hard enough to keep up on home states transport laws, let alone every state you might drive through on vacation.

I would look for location in closet or storage, out of sight out of mind. And advocate trigger locks, no one likes to come "home" to someone stealing their firearms and ammo. Stored locked and unloaded will probably pass muster in most states for transport. I know in trunk of car but not in a case is a violation in some states, even for a bow.

Pistol under pillow not very comfortable, in boot next to bed is better, you always remember to put it up when you get dressed and it does not move around while you sleep.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sentimental as I might possibly wax about gunracks in pickups, majoritarian views and the crazy-quilt of possession and transport laws state to state, not to mention the prohibition on possession of firearms in both public and private campgrounds says to me that discretion, rather than exhibition, might be the better course. You'll notice that all the rage among the self-defense enthusiasts is for concealed carry (that is "legal," read revenue generating possession), not open. You'd have the same burden of examining a lot of state law and the "views" of local LE. If you want to keep your old Smith or your wondernine under a rag with the rest of the tools in your toolbox, more power to you. Personal defense against bears would require a bit more in the way of caliber than you're contemplating, so absolutely no reason at all I can see to display a medium or big game rifle unless you're in the correct place and season to go hunting. I went off and looked at that long cylinder revolver rifle you speak of. Not sure buckshot loads or even solids out of that would stop a bear. But you're not the poster who wanted to tangle with bear, are you?

jack
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

Michigan
If hunting & camping it would be nice to have "open" storage. We used an empty top bunk in our old motor home.

When boondocking in locations where bears, coyotes etc. are an issue I can see a reason to keep something handy. Or like having a good first aid kit because 911 is sort of do-it-yourself proposition in some remote locations.

But it would take an awful lot to convince me to fire a weapon with anything larger than bird shot or snake load in any sort of campground. Camper walls don't do much to slow down a solid bullet and it's doubtful that there would be anything down range but more campers.

When in crowded campground in bear country just smear some honey on your most annoying neighbors car tire, and keep your camera by the bed.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Smearing on more honey makes the ants chew faster; why not the bears? That's pretty funny, Rog. If you're really feelin insecure and must have a firearm, +1 on shot capsule loads for handguns.

jack
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband wants to get me a Judge. Not that I don't have anything already. We don't live in an area of violent crime but he and my son both work out of town during the week and dog is 14 which makes her older then Phyllis Diller.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
You might try rigging something using "Quick Fist Clamps" The firearm would be secure when traveling but easily available if needed.

Quick Fist Clamps by End of the Road -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I was pondering how I might fix a mount for a rifle over a sleeping area.

I'm eyeing the Lil Snoozy so it would be relatively simple (I'm thinking) to put a rifle rack over the bed area on the back side of the beam over the bed. Or even build a one gun cabinet on the back side of the stanchion.
Depending on relative height of said rifle rack vs. the beam over the bed, it could possibly be out-of-sight to those persons not actually IN the bed. What you do in your bed is none of my business.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
You might try rigging something using "Quick Fist Clamps" The firearm would be secure when traveling but easily available if needed.

Quick Fist Clamps by End of the Road -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated
Very interesting product. Might even be a good way to secure a long object or two against the side of the closet resting on a padded shelf. Or secured to the bottom of the dining table for storage if you keep the table as a bed all of the time.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I carry where ever I go. I have no intentions of shooting fellow campers......LOL

But as I tell my congregation, if you break into my house, I do not call 9-1-1, I call
Mister Smith & Wesson or Mister Bond. Who also has other friends.....LOL.

I hunt with cross-bow, but in Oklahoma if you have a permit you can carry a hand gun also. .45 is the largest hand gun allowable. It makes a pretty neat hole. The Circuit Judge is actually a Judge in rifle form. It shoots .410 or .45 Colt. It's a fun gun to shoot.

I doubt I would be using a snoozy to hunt in unless the field was pretty open. Where I hunt you have to use a machete or a chain saw. That's why I have an old Astro. It's a
great vehicle but if I have to get scratches I don't want it on my new vehicles. lol.

Come November we can "open" carry here. I will still conceal, but won't have to worry about the butt being seen, etc. You have to remember, guns don't kill; people do.

We have grandkids in and out all the time so I have two gun safes that the weapons stay in unless I'm carrying one in my pocket. well, maybe two in my pocket(s).

I was only day dreaming any way. I'm the guy that had all the bells and whistles in his vehicles. You know, the cut dash to make a 4-track look factory. Couldn't afford fancy wheels, so would pull them down and spray paint them to simulate something other than factory steel wheels. 6-ply mud grips on my '54 Belair. Now those were noisy.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
There was a post a few days ago about a bear breaking into their trailer and tearing apart might be a good idea for that
LOL coming from the great white north you shoot a bear ripping apart your house or your trailer trust me you will get one big fine and a night in jail and the bear walks! I live in a very developed neighbourhood close to a mountain and the bears walk though my yard often - I actually have to close my front door when they are around to avoid having them come through but if I put my garbage outside before pick up day or put out a bird feed or leave a dirty BQ outside I will be fined $500 for attracting bears. Around here people are considered the problem not the bears
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Personal defense against bears would require a bit more in the way of caliber than you're contemplating, so absolutely no reason at all I can see to display a medium or big game rifle unless you're in the correct place and season to go hunting.
jack
Around my neck of the woods where black bears are a very common sight the only weapon we are taught to use by our local authorities is our loud voices and banging pots and pans..... works well. Your more likely to be hit by a car crossing the street than be attached by a black bear.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmm i was instantly thinking a turret with a pair of m-60 s,,,but i always was a little bit overkill.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
My husband wants to get me a Judge. Not that I don't have anything already. We don't live in an area of violent crime but he and my son both work out of town during the week and dog is 14 which makes her older then Phyllis Diller.
this would not be the best place to advertise that information, do you want me to delete it?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
this would not be the best place to advertise that information, do you want me to delete it?
actually,,,, might not be a bad idea to have everyone think all those crazy camping folks are armed... if its true or not.

actually we had a bear in our camp last spring.. he knocked over someones pots and pans and took off running from the noise.

not saying if a carry or not, but i have never worried about bad guys or critters,,, the moment i start i will stay home.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #19

Registry
Back in the old days, about 10 years ago , it was not uncommon for 50 black bears or more to be shoot in the District where I live. Fortunately times have changed and now educating people in regards to living in harmony with the bears has become the norm and few bears are shoot but lots of people are fined for putting out attractants. They only shoot (about 2 a year) black bears when they have been tagged as a problem bear which unfortunately is normally the result of a people problem - ie people leave their garbage outside or put bird feeds out and the bears return to the property time and time again looking for food and they will very occasionally become overly protective of their finds, but the vast majority will just run if yelled at.

More than a few bears have been known to go shopping at Safeway or the local pizza joint and helped themselves to what ever they can reach and lived to tell their friends about it.

Lots of good information as to what to do if you encounter a black bear can be found here.

Black bears are also know to really like pools and hot tubes when the weather is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Bear in Pool.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #20

Michigan
On living in "harmony" I lived in a small rural city, mostly farming with a little manufacturing in the area. During the housing boom a lot of cornfields went condo and marginal land was built on. Including the little ridge of high ground along the edge of swamp across the road from us.

Now the first of three houses built there was by a local resident who was a builder, but the second was someone from the "big city" that wanted to move to the "country". The two neighbors were having a conversation, and the builder commented on how nice it was that he was allowed to deer hunt the swamp in the back yard, the city couple was most horrified by this and firmly stated "I better not hear you shooting our deer that we feed!" the builder thought for a moment and replied "don't think you'll hear a darn thing, I bow hunt. And really appreciate the bait pile you folks are providing."

It was sort of funny, the melon farmer down the road is getting a dozen extra deer tags to thin the herd eating his crop, and these people are putting out piles of apples and corn to feed the same deer.
Closed Thread