Hanging a papertowel holder, without using screws - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I bought a cheap PT holder at Wal Mart, thought I had it up good with double sided tape, but when I put a new role of Brawny on it, down it came. I have a thing about drilling into the fiberglass and just don't want to do it. Any suggestions on how to get that thing to stay put? I even thought of duct tape rolled up over itself, seems really adhesive, but waiting on you guys to try anything else for now.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Use Automotive 2 sided tape
or 3M Double Sided Foam Tape
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I bought a paper towel holder that hangs from the front of the silverware drawer. No nails/tape needed. It is held by a bent piece of stainless steel. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Here is a link: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...mp;SKU=14028315

They do have a couple of cheaper styles too that hang the towels in a similar way. This one, though, drops, so that towels are less in the way.

CindyL
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Or, there are paper towel holders with suction cups on them. I've seen photos of that used on an Oliver.

Keep in mind that some high-tack tapes can be nearly as hard to remove as it would be to patch a hole (which isn't too terribly hard actually), but they do hold well. 3M Command adhesive (removable) now has some hooks that will hold up to 7 pounds or so - you might be able to utilize the adhesive strip from one of those (depending on how the holder mounts and the leverage factor). Doubled up duct tape definitely won't work.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....there is a product out there called Miracle Putty (I think its called). Its one of those 'as seen on T.V.' (??) advertized by Billy Maze???

It looks like it might work, but the idea of automotive double sided tape sounds better and easier to work with. This tape is w i d e l y used to adhere trim pieces to auto bodys and I'm sure it has many other used.
I doubt very much that rolling duc tape over onto itself would grip to any thing too much, a roll of towel alone is fairly weighty ....then factor in the weight of the holder itself...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Monica...if you decide on the automotive double sided tape, check with a body shop repair guy and see if they will give you a packet (single application) of the adhesive enhancer. Using this along with the automobile double sided tape will do the job. If you use just the tape it will come loose if your trailer gets to hot.
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Monica,
I have the same aversion to drilling as you do, and use velcro and suction cups wherever possible.
After two unsuccessful attempts, I found a lightweight plastic (white) towel holder similar to Cindy L's, but the bar that contacts the bottom of the cabinet is longer. (I think it was at Lowe's....)
Velcro has worked for six months and about 7,000 miles so far.
I think the key was, the base that attached to the bottom of the cabinet was primarily level and smooth, as opposed the the previous two holders (one broke while attaching...) that had a lot of indentations and little level surface for "grip".
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Most double sided tapes should work. The Automotive or 3M Foam are best. The most important thing, though, is to make sure the surface is absolutely free of grease and dirt. A wipe down with rubbing alcohol after a Dawn wash down might be in order. Make sure it is absolutely dry before taping.

Good luck.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote