Hanging things without using adhesive or holes in walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hanging things without using adhesive or holes in walls

Last year while at the fall home show I came across some pretty cool hooks that hold a lot without using any adhesive & are reusable. My friend and I each purchased a couple and this year we went back and bought way more as they work *really* well on just about any smooth surface. Find they hold more than what the package claims.

They are called Jimmy Hook.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Carol, this is sweet...I am constantly looking for curtain rods that do not require hole drilled. The "Tool Holder" $7.99 looks good for that. Have you tried them? Thanks for the tip.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Registry
Yes I have and they actually work *way* better than I expected them to. Thats why I bought more at this years home show.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
the 4.5 lb one is $3.99
The 3 lb one is $6.99

I haven't looked at ordering them. This is a Canadian company, I've never ordered anything from Canada.

My luck with suction cups is zero, maybe my outdoor winter is just too much, or my humid summer is too much. Not sure how these hooks secure, afraid I would have zero luck with them too.

Buying the 4.5 lb ones looks like a no brainer.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
The 3 lb. are 4 hooks for 6.99

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
My luck with suction cups is zero, maybe my outdoor winter is just too much, or my humid summer is too much. Not sure how these hooks secure, afraid I would have zero luck with them too.

Buying the 4.5 lb ones looks like a no brainer.

Nancy

Nancy the price difference is due to only getting one hook in the 4.5 lb size and 4 hooks in the 3lb size packages - or at least thats my guess as the price variance.

They do not work at all like suction cup type holders which I have also not had the best of success with keeping up, which is why I thought I should share the find.

How these work is the back of them has a sticky substance on them of some sort - not very sticky if you touch them though and what ever it is doesnt stay on the wall either when you take them off. I have stuck them on drywall and cant see a mark after taking them off. Have used them on my glass door at home for hanging reefs and when I remove it there is only a little smug that comes right off with a glass cleaner.

The back lays totally flat against the wall - the key is to put them up and leave them for a day before putting weight on them. You can reused them by simply washing the back with water and letting it dry - that somehow makes them just as sticky as they were the first time they were used.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Carol, this is sweet...I am constantly looking for curtain rods that do not require hole drilled. The "Tool Holder" $7.99 looks good for that. Have you tried them? Thanks for the tip.
No I havent used the tool holder - just the hooks as well as the large chrome ones which not only work but look good as the holder size hides the square piece of plastic at the back.

I did though see the tool holder at the Home Show and they had all sorts of things on the wall using those. I already have a permanent broom holder in the trailer so didnt buy it. I did for the fun of it try taking a broom they had on one, on and off the display a number of times and it didnt move so I would suggest its probable as solid as the other items by them that I have used. I friend has the soap holder and swears it works way better than a suction cup type one they had previously which fell off the wall frequently - this type has not come down in the year since we bought them at the last Home show apparently.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Has any one used them on a wood (real or paper patterned) surface?
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
Has any one used them on a wood (real or paper patterned) surface?
Have used them on laminated/paper wood. Work fine.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looks like a great product...........

USE ON

Painted Drywall
Painted surfaces that resist stains and are easy to clean perform best. We do NOT recommend that you use Jimmy Hooks on surfaces with flat or matte finishes. Test all surfaces before use.
Plasterboard
Tile
Laminate
Glass
Stainless Steel
Any other smooth hard, nonporous surface

DO NOT USE ON

Use on paper or textured wallpaper
Use on peeling, uneven, coarse or fragile surfaces.
Use for valuable or irreplaceable items
Use for objects above recommended weight limits
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I've discovered locking suction cups on fiberglass, available at our OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) and Container stores and cubicle clips on "rat fur", available online at Staples.com are also handy, reliable hooks/clips.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/?productId=10012592
StaplesŪ Cubicle Clips, White, 20/Pack | StaplesŪ

Note: Check out the other items that use locking suction cups on The Container Store website. I have not tried them but they look tempting.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote