Has anyone added a Peltier cooler to the Icebox? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Trillium 13'
Ontario
Has anyone added a Peltier cooler to the Icebox?

Hi All I was thinking here that I have an icebox on my 1975 Trill and Well...It ain't much use.. so I was thinking to replace it with a fridge and of course all the ones I have found are too deep for the space. So i was thinking- I bought one of those plastic coolers that are 12 volt powered and have a neat as a pin bolt on peltier cooler module on the side (its a Coleman cooler)
I was thinking of taking the cooling unit off the "cooler" and grafting it onto the side of the Icebox (mounted inside the cabinet).
Of course the insulation will have to be trimmed where its bolted in.. but im thinking what the heck it would be awesome if it worked.
Anyone know or seen anyone attempt this???,,,
cheers
Dave
MoDZuKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDZuKi View Post
Hi All I was thinking here that I have an icebox on my 1975 Trill and Well...It ain't much use.. so I was thinking to replace it with a fridge and of course all the ones I have found are too deep for the space. So i was thinking- I bought one of those plastic coolers that are 12 volt powered and have a neat as a pin bolt on peltier cooler module on the side (its a Coleman cooler)
I was thinking of taking the cooling unit off the "cooler" and grafting it onto the side of the Icebox (mounted inside the cabinet).
Of course the insulation will have to be trimmed where its bolted in.. but im thinking what the heck it would be awesome if it worked.
Anyone know or seen anyone attempt this???,,,
cheers
Dave
Peltier devices are extremely power hungry. Constant current of somewhere around 3 to 5 amps. Battery wouldn't last very long.

Example when I was working, (Electronics Engineer) I had 16 Peltiers running at once not trying to heat or cool just a 3" plate protected from air movement. It took 55 amps of continues current, that works out be 3.4 continuous amps per Peltier. You would probably need a much larger one than the 3" ones I was using.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Trillium 13'
Ontario
Oh Yeah I know that Peltier coolers use a pile of power.. However I would mainly be using the cooler while on AC power. ( I have a large 26 amp 12vDC 120 to 12v converter in my Trll). The cooler that I have is fused at 7 amps at 12v DC.
The cooler unit is a commercial (retail) Coleman cooler with a peltier unit on te side of it.
So was thinking to take it off and putting it on the icebox.
just curious if anyones done this,, I am serioulsy looking at this.. if it keeps this cooler cold.. then hopefully the icebox would work in the same way with the cooling element installed...
Ideas>??/..
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
cooler 2.jpg   cooler 1.jpg  

MoDZuKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The Peltier is a thermoelectric coolers and will not produce a temperature reliably low enough for safe food storage. They are essentialy a wine cooler but even then won't get a soft drink nicely chilled on a hot day.

Do not waste any time or money on putting one into your trailer. You need to be able to store food at lower than 40 degrees at all times. The Peltier won't drop the temperature that low on a hot day.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There is a limit as to the ambient temp vs the "other side" so when it is hotter outside the temp you can get is not as cold.
Within it's limitations it will work for you.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Install a beer and wine fridge instead .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post
Install a beer and wine fridge instead .
your beer and wine "fridge" is not a refrigerator, it operates with the same technology as a Peltier Cooler. Not safe for food storage. Cool looking is not the same thing as being cold enough to keep food from spoiling.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
What 12V propane fridge will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The Peltier is a thermoelectric coolers and will not produce a temperature reliably low enough for safe food storage. They are essentialy a wine cooler but even then won't get a soft drink nicely chilled on a hot day.

Do not waste any time or money on putting one into your trailer. You need to be able to store food at lower than 40 degrees at all times. The Peltier won't drop the temperature that low on a hot day.
In my experience, a two or three way fridge like those commonly installed in small trailers is also NOT capable of keeping food adequately cold on hot days (>80 deg F) while running on propane.

So is there a 12V or propane fridge that can keep food adequately cold when it's hot out? I'd prefer something that won't completely drain the battery since I'm usually camping without hookups...

Or should I just stick with the ice chest I'm currently using?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: UHaul
Florida
Some PO put a Haier 120V peltier dorm cooler in my CT13. I ran it for three plus hours yesterday and it brought the temp down about 15 degrees. From 68 to 53. So, not very good.
Think I will look for an ice chest.
GabbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Dave,

I feel your pain. I had an ice box in my old pop up camper. More of a pain than anything, so I just ended up using it for storage. I actually bought a small form fridge and took it along with me. Plugged in at campsite and kept it in wood blocks under the tents! Crazy or what? Eventually, I did have a form fridge installed in the unit. Very nicely done, with fan and baffling installed to draw heat outside through a vent I had installed. Cost me a pile, but I was glad to have that fridge. I'm sorry that there doesn't seem to be a small enough unit to install in your allowed space, depth wise. It is frustrating.

I do not find any issues with my 3 way fridge when I'm electric at all. As ambient temperature increases, I do have to turn up the cold, but food safety has never been an issue. 38 to 41 degrees is Ok. I do take a cooler still though, for pop and beer. My fridge couldn't hold the beer AND food. Smile.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #11

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Oops. Dorm fridge intended.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The previous owner installed a dorm fridge in our Campster. We haven't used it much yet but on our only trip so far, we got it cold before we left and added blue ice blocks. This helped keep it cold. When we had a chance at the camp spot, we fired up the gen and recooled the fridge and refroze the ice blocks to get through the rest of the weeken.

It was pretty cool outside so I don't know yet how effective this will be in warmer temps. Eventually I will try to run it off the battery with an inverter and see if the solar panel can keep up. I'll do some math first to computer the draw.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dave, We freeze bottled drinking water and Pre cool the fridge then have cold water to drink.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote