Has anyone modified Scamp 13' front potty & closet into bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

Name: Molly
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Has anyone modified Scamp 13' front potty & closet into bunk

We purchased a 2001 13' Scamp last year, with a porta potti room, vertical fiberglass divider, and two stacked closets in the front of the trailer. We still want to keep the potti option depending on the trip, but also are considering building a removable platform single bunk to run across the front by cutting a hole in the fiberglass divider and replacing the potti door with a curtain. I envision a two part platform, main one in the potti room and the foot portion in the closet, with a hinge or something connecting the two. When used, the sleeper would have their lower legs in the closet and torso in the potti room.

Is this crazy? Has anyone attempted? Is the fiberglass divider holding the roof up?
NCW Scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Since front bunk models lack the bulkhead, I’m sure the shell will be okay without it, but...

A highly idiosyncratic modification like this will decrease resale prospects significantly. I know that everyone expects to keep their trailer forever, but the reality is few actually do.

I’d look for other ways to accommodate the extra person. Tent? Tow vehicle? Sell this trailer and buy one that has the extra bed(s)?

Just my opinion, of course. It’s your trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Washington

Thank for the reply Jon, we bought the trailer for my mom, and I've been tenting on warmer nights instead of bunking with her. I appreciate the insight!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry

That’s a tough one. I have never understood the rationale for giving up the whole front sofa/bunk set-up for just an empty room with a porta-potty when there is a perfectly good storage compartment under the sofa (and they make tents for porta-potties if you’re uncomfortable doing the deed in the middle of your kitchen). A complete wet bath- that I understand, though not for me, not in a 13’er.

None of that helps you now. I think a lot depends on whether this arrangement with the two of you is a short-term or long term issue.

If short-term, the tent works in good weather. In cold or wet, two adults can share the small dinette bed more easily by sleeping in opposite directions in separate tapered sleeping bags. More room and doesn’t feel quite so... well... intimate.

If long term, you could convert this to the front sofa arrangement. Do it yourself, hire it done, or for best results, take it to Scamp. Alternatively, look for a 13’er with the front bed or a 16’er with both bath and extra bed. If finances allow, buying in the fall and selling in the spring is advantageous price-wise.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think the front bunk/couch arrangement the couch being anchored to both the floor and the wood rail fiberglassed to the wall make it a structural element. It doesn't support the roof but it does help keep the front rigid and braced at the corners.

Which floor plan is it? That would allow people to more easily visualize what you are describing. I think you are describing layout #2 from here.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showro...-layout-1.html

What about a low cot running from the potti closet back toward the dinette bed? Like one of these. https://www.amazon.com/MARCHWAY-Ultr...=fsclp_pl_dp_7 Or even a taller one.

Moving the porta-pottie out to one of those small changing bathroom sized tents might be an option if one is using the pottie closet for sleeping.

I'm thinking don't need to sleep inside unless the weather is bad or just stopping for the night to sleep while traveling and don't want to set up tent.

I tend to agree it is an odd modification, one that would appeal to only a small market segment. Unlike say a front couch into a front dinette and bed. That has broader appeal.

I would also say that on trips you want the pottie you would probably "lose" your second bunk. Might be better to focus on a solution that will work well with or without potty in the room.

The alternating of heads and feet at opposite ends does seem to give more room. Would provide a less intimate arrangement. I think I'll still use the front couch as second bed when brother in law and myself go camping! My rule is only one hairy back in the bed is not generally negotiable.

Still if most times you can use a tent and you are both comfortable the opposite ends and tapered sleeping bags could work ok for the few times setting up the tent is not workable. While allowing the potty closet to always be available. The real fight always becomes who gets the outside of the bed.

Of course a lot of older couples would like your arrangement of storage and toilet. Selling your camper might allow you to purchase a different floor plan better suited to your needs. The only problem with the porta-pottie under the couch is the thing is pretty low. If I could squat like that and stand up again I would still be using a tree as a backrest.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry

Roger, I think it’s an early layout 2. Back in 2001 there was no shower option on the standard, just a toilet, but this one apparently has neither- just the bulkhead and an empty privacy room for a porta-potty, with a closet next to it by the door.

I’m vaguely recalling the early bulkheads were wood, not fiberglass. If the dividing wall between the privacy room and the closet is wood, too, the OP might cut a door into the closet which could be opened to create foot room. Without removing a chunk of the bulkhead, though, getting in and out of such a sleeping space would take some dexterity.

As to the small under-seat porta-potty, you can set it on a platform to create a more comfortable height once you pull it out from the compartment.

I suspect the same about the front bench adding support especially at the lower front corner of the door. That’s an advantage of having Scamp do the mod- they will tie it together properly at that critical junction.

Agree about the “hairy backs”...
Old 07-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Washington

Thanks Roger and Jon, you are a both a hoot! Sorry for the slow response, I haven't figured out how to set up alerts in this forum.

We do sleep toe to head when we bunk together. Dogs on the floor so no room for a cot. My mom has suggested the potty tent, and we may look into that and a conversion to a sofa/couch in front down the road, maybe. Of course, that still results in me setting a tent up! And having to go outside in bad weather at night might not appeal to her.

No rush right now, as we only use it about 1x per month due to my work schedule. I think we'll keep the set up as is until we use it enough to justify the change and a) have the money to do the work or b) decide to sell and get another model.

Thanks again for your insight!
Molly

Tags
scamp