Has anyone taken on the project of replacing the curved Scamp door with a new frame a - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Has anyone taken on the project of replacing the curved Scamp door with a new frame a

Os it possible to build a new fiberglass door frame and to add a flat Casita Door? We seem to remember seeing this on a post somewhere but not sure which site? Seems like it would require a lot of work.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkj View Post
Os it possible to build a new fiberglass door frame and to add a flat Casita Door? We seem to remember seeing this on a post somewhere but not sure which site? Seems like it would require a lot of work.
Sure it can be done and would be a bit of work. Can't say I've seen anyone post of doing that but a number of folks have rebuilt the factory curved door frames and doors. I think it would be a great project but I like working with FG. The flat door has advantages....and seals well . The biggest downfall/cost, to me, is having to paint the trailer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, there's this one done by a member here years ago. Sorry I can't remember who it was. Last I heard, Melissa Irwin now owns the trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampFlatDoor-MelindaIrwin.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	127872

Then there's the PlayMor II which is an egg shape and came with an inset flat door right from the factory.

Name:	PlayMorII.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	127873

The Lil Bigfoot had a flat door.

Name:	~Capture.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	127875

As does the current manufacturer Armadillo

Name:	<a title=Armadillo.JPG Views: 39 Size: 29.4 KB ID: 127874" style="margin: 2px" />

However you would do it seems like it would be a lot of work for a small return on time, cost investment. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
My Casita has a flat door that PO had installed and the workmanship is outstanding.
Unfortunately for some reason I have trouble posting pictures but it is the same as the first picture in Donna D's post of the Scamp.
Built our of composite material.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Has anyone taken on the project of replacing the curved Scamp door with a new frame a

I don’t particularly care for the way they look, especially the ones that project outward, but there’s no doubt they work better. A recessed, radiused door (like the Armadillo) is visually better integrated, but more complex to build.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Donna,

You are an amazing source of information. Don't know how you do it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
The flat ones that are inset, like on my Oliver, look good, but have limited range of movement and won't open all the way around. This is inconvenient sometimes and is more likely to get damaged.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #8

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Thank you all. It will give us something to think about. I completely rebuilt our Scamp door but the seal still is a bit of a problem. I just bought a 1985 16’ Scamp and will remodel it completely like I did with our 13. Fun projects
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Thank you all. It will give us something to think about. I completely rebuilt our Scamp door but the seal still is a bit of a problem. I just bought a 1985 16’ Scamp and will remodel it completely like I did with our 13. Fun projects
I hope you post some pictures of your work.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The seal is always a problem on these curved doors.
I reshaped and reglass'd mine in 2003 and the seal was good but since then the door has given up some of it's shape and seal.
I've given thought to combining the flat and curved door into one. Using the original hinges and creating a flat surface on the inside of the door for the seal.
With careful execution the exterior wouldn't need paint.
The door would be much stronger and hold it's shape better,,, but weigh more, would the hinges hold up?
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
The door would be much stronger and hold it's shape better,,, but weigh more, would the hinges hold up?
Fred
One member here on the site rebuilt his trailer door using a metal frame so I think the hinges would hold up. I don't remember if the trailer was a boler, trillium or scamp.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I recall that project , Alex. The one I’m thinking of kept the curved shape, but replaced the wood core with a frame of shaped, square tube metal. Don’t recall if it was aluminum or steel, probably steel. I believe they put insulation between the frame tubes and glassed over the whole thing. Nicely done.

The best way, of course, is to prevent water infiltration in the first place by sealing the wood edges around the window and latch cuts, and periodically resealing the window, latch, and hinges.

Fred, what you describe seems a little like what Happier Camper does, with a shaped inner molded door skin to increase rigidity.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Thanks for that info Jon, I'll check it out.
I haven't been in an airplane for 35 years but I don't think their doors whistle in the wind so there must be a solution.
Fred
Edit after looking up some images of the Happier Camper, yes they have a substantial inner structure. But, the gasket surface is still the curved shape of the body.
I was thinking of building a flat surface into the trailer for a door seal and a inner structure on the door that sealed to it.
https://goo.gl/images/J9NStQ
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Over the years we've seen all manner of methods to fix an air-craft door that seems to be flattening out. IMHO, the best version is where a lightweight 'magazine' rack was affixed near the bottom. The side panels were curved to hold the shape of the door. You wouldn't want to put anything heavy in the rack, like bunches of shoes, but a couple of folded maps would be okay. Done with skill, it could look good!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
...after looking up some images of the Happier Camper, yes they have a substantial inner structure. But, the gasket surface is still the curved shape of the body.

I was thinking of building a flat surface into the trailer for a door seal and a inner structure on the door that sealed to it.

https://goo.gl/images/J9NStQ
Yes, you’re correct. I don’t think the problem is the shape of the mating surface as much as the flexibility of the materials and lack of precision in the manufacturing process. As you say, curved airplane doors work fine.

But I’ll look forward to seeing your approach. As Donna says, the creativity of folks over the years is amazing, and I have admired your craftsmanship in the past.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While I'm sure there were other reasons, one of the benefits of the new (2017) body style change by Escape was to allow for a standard flat RV door. They have gone through a couple of types (stiff hinge, partial opening, etc) but the big advantage is it allows the Americana style & size refrigerators, a big improvement on the poor high temperature performance of the European versions they used in the older body style with a smaller, curved door.

If you are going to do a major rebuild to end up with a flat door, you might consider the refrigerator...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
flat door

I have often wondered if some version of the scamp articulated screen door would work ? Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #18

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
I am just in the process of replacing an ill-fitting door on my Boler and completely constructed it from plywood and fiberglass on the outside. Fair bit of work but so far, I'm really happy with the fit. I'll be mounting it back onto the trailer in the next 3 - 4 weeks once it's back from getting fibreglassed. i also built a frame to reinforce the door opening. For more detail and pictures, my thread is "1975 Boler Complete Restoration...my once in a lifetime project" posts #77-92 for the door construction and post 46 for the door frame. I also considered a repair that involved constructing the interior frame for the door from 1" square aluminum that seemed to turn out quite well. Here's the link for that:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/BolerDoorFix.pdf

Best of luck!
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp