Heat problem solved - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally posted by pjanits

We washed down the deck ( no I don't have one in the back of the Burro- but it is a thought)
Wow, Pete. A fireplace and a deck... that would be some kind of fancy. What's your towing weight?
:jester :jester :jester

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #22

Towing weight

With out the wife's stuff inside it's only 11,576 lbs.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:07 PM   #23

:laugh :laugh :laugh

(I'm paraphrasing our fearless Webguy, here!)

:cblob

Old 03-27-2003, 01:13 PM   #24

Venting?

We have a propane heater in our 5th wheel and we were wondering about something. Do we need to keep a window cracked or a vent cracked for ventalation when using the propane -- especially in such a small place?

Nancy

Old 03-28-2003, 07:59 AM   #25

the answer is yes, ventalation must be provided. I copied the warnings out of my instuction mauel.

1st WARNING:
This is an unvented gas-fired heater. It uses air (oxygen) from the area in which it is used. Adequate combustion and ventilation air must be provided. refer to page 2
2nd WARNING: (page 2)
If the recreational or commercial enclosure does not have a window or roof vent, DO NOT USE THIS HEATER INSIDE

Old 03-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #26

So what do you all do to vent your trailer when you are running your propane heater? Do you open the roof vent or a window?

It was so very cold (snowing!) the first night we camped and used the propane heater, that opening a vent (which we did) sorta defeated the purpose of having the heat on. The next night we bought an electric ceramic heater to use instead of the built-in propane heater. Also, the built-in propane heater was very noisy when it went off and came back on. It kept us awake all night.

But there are going to be some times that we are going to want to use it when we "dry camp" so I would like to know how you all vent your trailer when you run your heater.

Nancy

Old 03-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #27

Hi, Nancy!

The propane furnace/heater in my Casita is vented to the outside. I still prefer to keep a window open at least an inch when we're running it.

Actually, I prefer to keep a window open anytime I'm sleeping in the Casita....

:sunny

Old 03-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #28

Hi Nancy!

>>propane heater was very noisy

They all are. But like living next to a railroad track ... after awhile, you won't notice the trains.

We prefer using a electric ceramic heater when we have power.

While dry camping, we heat up the trailer BEFORE we go to bed, then turn the thermostat way, way down if not off completely ... preferring to snuggle together under mounds of blankets.

If we do turn off the furnace, in the winter, when dry camping, if and when we wake up cold in the middle of the night, we run it a few cycles before crawling back under the covers to catch a few more hours of sleep.

Burning gas while we sleep makes me nervous in both my home and trailer ... and we try to dial the thermostat as low as humanly possible when we sleep.

We also usually "crack" the bathroom window and the top vent in the trailer, while sleeping, even if we're not running the furnace.

But, as I said, you get used to the noise.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #29

do I feel silly, I was thinking a portable propane heater. if it's built-in you should check and see if there is a vent for outside air for it to burn already. (My house does.) it might not need extra air. also when it says open a window that only means an inch or less. I used the furnace in the moterhome I had, and never once opened a window. I figure if a mouse can get in I have plenty of air exchange. not Buttercup.. she is tight. I will have something open somewhere.